Frame Relay in Packet Tracer 5

wbosherwbosher Member Posts: 422
Is anyone else having trouble setting up PVC's in the Frame Relay 'cloud' in Packet Tracer 5. I have set up three routers with two PVC's but can only get one to work. I know that the router config is correct so it must be an issue with the cloud. Just wondering if it is a bug in the program and if anyone else has had the same problem.

Cheers.

Comments

• jovan88jovan88 Member Posts: 393
    i got Frame relay working in packet tracer 5 after a lot of trial and error, its a bit confusing you have to open the cloud, create DLCIs and map them to certain interfaces on the cloud.

Do a show frame-relay pvc on the routers and if the pvc status is "deleted" you know you haven't set up the DLCIs correctly on the cloud.
  • wbosherwbosher Member Posts: 422
    I have set up the DLCI's but am having trouble mapping them. I only seem to be only able to add one route, it I try adding another one it spits out an error saying "this connection could not be established".

Router3
    |
    |Frame Relay Cloud_________Router1
    |
    |
    Router2

If I create a map from Router1 to Router3 (in the cloud), this is no problem, it works fine. When I try to create a second one to Router3, I get the error above (also configuring the cloud). All DLCI's are set up on each interface in the cloud and mapping is set up on the routers. Hope this makes sense.
  • jhwilsonjhwilson Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I just ran through it real quick in PT5 and it is possible. Remember that you will need to create sub-interfaces with the topology you are describing. I can post specifics as a follow up if you are still hitting a wall.

EDIT: I just re-read what you posted. 2 PVC's setup for 3 routers? Are you intending to get a full mesh or are you intending to setup routing protocols to handle that?
  • wbosherwbosher Member Posts: 422
    I was trying to create a VC to go from Router1 to Router3 and also another one from Router1 to Router2. I am trying to simulate a head office (R1) with two with two remote offices (R2 and R3), I can get from Router1 to Router2 ok, but can't get from Router1 to Router3.

I have checked all the router configs and they are all correct, I'm doing something wrong in the cloud.
  • doc.mart10doc.mart10 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I found your question online while searching 'cos I was having the same problem where it would only allow me create one route. Once I add another, it displays an error msg saying this connection could not be established. The solution is based on the routing of DLCI frames (the info contained in the header as it passes through the providers Network) as well as on the concept of local and global dlci addressing.

For example, if R1, R2 and R3 have global DLCI's 101, 102 and 103 respectively, that means that when R2 wants to send something to R1, it puts a DLCI value of 101 in the frames header (to identify the destination router to the FR switch) but before it is delivered to R1, this value is changed by the FR switch to 102 to identify the sender to R1. This is because there's only one DLCI field in the frames header.

So when configuring the connections (PVC) in the cloud in Packet tracer, you follow that principle. For example say R1 is connected to se 0/1, R2 is connected to se 0/2 and R3 is connected to se 0/3 in the cloud, what you do is select se 0/1 and put in the dlci's for R2 and R3. Also select se 0/2 and put in the dlci's for R1 and R3 and do likewise for se 0/3 (putting dlci's for R1 and R2)

Now to create a PVC (e.g. between R1 and R2), you click on frame relay which is under connections and then select se 0/1, next select R2 (or whatever name you gave to R2's dlci - this time it is the receiver). On the other side of this, select se 0/2 (because this is the serial connection to R2) and select R1 (as it is the sender).

The above looks something like this:
    se 0/1 > R2 < - - -> se0/2 > R1

By the way, that PVC created is bidirectional. If you need a copy of the PT file i can send it to you. or if you need more explanation, pls ask.

Thanks
  • MonkerzMonkerz Member Posts: 842
    Wow, you sure did knock the dust off this thread. Almost three years since it's seen the light of day. :)
  • chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I'm happy to see people digging to find things like this, nothing like solving problems people have probably searched for and found dead ends to on this forum. That makes me happy inside.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • -DeXteR--DeXteR- Member Posts: 130
    doc.mart10 wrote: »
    I found your question online while searching 'cos I was having the same problem where it would only allow me create one route. Once I add another, it displays an error msg saying this connection could not be established. The solution is based on the routing of DLCI frames (the info contained in the header as it passes through the providers Network) as well as on the concept of local and global dlci addressing.

For example, if R1, R2 and R3 have global DLCI's 101, 102 and 103 respectively, that means that when R2 wants to send something to R1, it puts a DLCI value of 101 in the frames header (to identify the destination router to the FR switch) but before it is delivered to R1, this value is changed by the FR switch to 102 to identify the sender to R1. This is because there's only one DLCI field in the frames header.

So when configuring the connections (PVC) in the cloud in Packet tracer, you follow that principle. For example say R1 is connected to se 0/1, R2 is connected to se 0/2 and R3 is connected to se 0/3 in the cloud, what you do is select se 0/1 and put in the dlci's for R2 and R3. Also select se 0/2 and put in the dlci's for R1 and R3 and do likewise for se 0/3 (putting dlci's for R1 and R2)

Now to create a PVC (e.g. between R1 and R2), you click on frame relay which is under connections and then select se 0/1, next select R2 (or whatever name you gave to R2's dlci - this time it is the receiver). On the other side of this, select se 0/2 (because this is the serial connection to R2) and select R1 (as it is the sender).

The above looks something like this:
    se 0/1 > R2 < - - -> se0/2 > R1

By the way, that PVC created is bidirectional. If you need a copy of the PT file i can send it to you. or if you need more explanation, pls ask.

Thanks
    Thanks for this , it really helped me a lot . :)
    But it's working for multipoint . Is point - point not possible on packet tracer because it's not allowing me to create sub-interfaces .
  • MosGuyMosGuy Member Posts: 195
    -DeXteR- wrote: »
    Thanks for this , it really helped me a lot . :)
    But it's working for multipoint . Is point - point not possible on packet tracer because it's not allowing me to create sub-interfaces .

This youtube video may be of help: YouTube - Frame Relay | Packet Tracer | EASY PEASY!!
    ---
    XPS 15: i7-6700HQ, 256 pcie ssd, 32 GB RAM, 2 GB Nvidia GTX 960m, windows 10 Pro

Cert in progress: CCNA (2016 revision)
  • -DeXteR--DeXteR- Member Posts: 130
    MosGuy wrote: »
    This youtube video may be of help: YouTube - Frame Relay | Packet Tracer | EASY PEASY!!

Nevermind got it ! JUst had to use the keyword point-to-point to kick start it :D
  • bobmacbobmac Registered Users Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    ok, this thread seems to be something that could help me with this lab but the config tab on the cloud is locked, no mapping of the FR switch is possible

btw, after creating all the s0/0/0 and subinterfaces as required, you cannot ping anything so i guess the cloud needs to be setup with maps BUT no can get into it..

or am i missing something else??
  • Ltat42aLtat42a Member Posts: 587 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Check out this guy's site on Youtube, he uses Packet Tracer quite a bit, scroll down to Frame Relay - 6 part series on setting up Frame Relay in Packet Tracer.

Cisco CCNA 4 - YouTube
  • MrXpertMrXpert Member Posts: 586 ■■■□□□□□□□
    One you understand the basics Frame relay in PT works very well. You can also experiment with global DLCIs,point-to-point and point to multi-point hybrid networks. Only gripe i have with FR in PT are the status codes when you run things like show frame-relay map or show frame pvc. The codes don't always tie up accurately with what is going on under the hood but its only a small problem.
    I learnt how to set up frame relay in pt using a video i found on youtube. It could be the same one thats been posted here although i haven't looked to check.
    I'm an Xpert at nothing apart from remembering useless information that nobody else cares about.
    Good youtube link, thanks.

Still need someone who's done the FR lab to confirm my original question about config'ing the cloud in his FR lab.
  • CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    bobmac wrote: »

Still need someone who's done the FR lab to confirm my original question about config'ing the cloud in his FR lab.

Give me like 10 minutes and I'll make a frame relay configuration in packet tracer and upload it. It'll have both multipoint and point to point.
    Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens

Still need someone who's done the FR lab to confirm my original question about config'ing the cloud in his FR lab.[/QUOTE]

I hope i'm understanding your question correctly. I'm actually creating a frame relay network at the moment in PT. If you want I could email you the file.
    But basically I'd configure the "cloud PT", then add the Local DCLIs and the remote hostnames of the routers they are associated with under each serial interface. Under the Frame relay tab I then configure that also ensuring that the serial interface its going out on is link to the destination and vice versa.
    I'm an Xpert at nothing apart from remembering useless information that nobody else cares about.
    On the point to point frame relay I chose to use eigrp so that traffic can be routed between the point to point links thus allowing every router to ping all other routers. So here is a frame relay example in packet tracer.

frame relay.pkt
    CodeBlox wrote: »
    On the point to point frame relay I chose to use eigrp so that traffic can be routed between the point to point links thus allowing every router to ping all other routers. So here is a frame relay example in packet tracer.

Thanks everyone and thanks CodeBlox for making something and uploading it, I'll give it a try. Ok, tried it. 1st question: if you used the serial connector between cloud and routers such that the cloud is DCE in each one, why do you put a clock rate on the subint's? sh controllers s0/0/0 says it is a DTE so a clock rate command should not even be possible.

My main question is am I missing something in how to config the cloud in the packettracernetwork FR lab. Using preconfiged labs is extremely helpful to give exam type practice. I have tried GNS3 and now PT and both have given me trouble with the cloud configuration with 2 different labs I have tried.
    MrXpert wrote: »
    I hope i'm understanding your question correctly. I'm actually creating a frame relay network at the moment in PT. If you want I could email you the file.
    But basically I'd configure the "cloud PT", then add the Local DCLIs and the remote hostnames of the routers they are associated with under each serial interface. Under the Frame relay tab I then configure that also ensuring that the serial interface its going out on is link to the destination and vice versa.

So you are using the FR lab on packettracernetwork.com and you can access the config tab for the cloud?? If so, I guess I may be running into a PT version inconsistency.
    Thanks everyone and thanks CodeBlox for making something and uploading it, I'll give it a try. Ok, tried it. 1st question: if you used the serial connector between cloud and routers such that the cloud is DCE in each one, why do you put a clock rate on the subint's? sh controllers s0/0/0 says it is a DTE so a clock rate command should not even be possible.

My main question is am I missing something in how to config the cloud in the packettracernetwork FR lab. Using preconfiged labs is extremely helpful to give exam type practice. I have tried GNS3 and now PT and both have given me trouble with the cloud configuration with 2 different labs I have tried.
    I didn't mean to put that clock rate statement in there and thought I removed it as the connections from the routers are DTE so there is no need for a clock rate as you said. I've never used "packettracernetwork" labs so I cant speak for those but in PT, there is no running config for the cloud. You simply view the interfaces.
    Here's the PT file for my frame relay network. I have added other things besides Frame relay but I hope it sheds some light on the configuration. I actually started doing this network 2 days ago but got interrupted so didn't finish it.
    London-Brighton-Norfolk are on a full mesh point to multipoint network
    London-Notts-Leeds-Coventy are on a point to point
    EIGRP is running and so is DHCP

I hope this doesn't cause confusion but if it looks too cluttered you can always have a look at it another time when the fog has cleared.

FR 30th jan.pkt 30th jan.pkt
    I liked your use of global as well as local. Nice job.