SWITCH hardware requirements for lab

wbosherwbosher Member Posts: 422
Hi guys, sorry if this has already been answered but I searched for ages and could find an answer.

I have a 3550, 3524XL and a 2950 switch and was wondering if this will be enough to get me through. I understand that I won't be able to do the PVLANs but will this be enough to do everything else?

Thanks in advance. :)

Comments

• SubnetZeroSubnetZero Member Posts: 124
    wbosher wrote: »
    Hi guys, sorry if this has already been answered but I searched for ages and could find an answer.

I have a 3550, 3524XL and a 2950 switch and was wondering if this will be enough to get me through. I understand that I won't be able to do the PVLANs but will this be enough to do everything else?

Thanks in advance. :)

This should be fine you just wont be able to MST or PVLAN's and the 3524XL is pure junk! You could always rent a rack as well and OR use the Boson CCNP simulator.

Good luck!

While no trees were harmed in the transmission of this message, several electrons were severely inconvenienced
    :cool:
  • CiscoCertsCiscoCerts Member Posts: 112
    SubnetZero wrote: »
    This should be fine you just wont be able to MST
    This is incorrect, MST will run on 2950 & 3550. You'd need 3560 for private-vlans as you already know.

Check for yourself here:
    Cisco.com Command Lookup Tool
  • 4_lom4_lom Member Posts: 485
    I would suggest getting one more 3550 EMI, and possibly a 2950. Not sure which IOS is on the 3524. I have 2 3550 EMI's, two 2950's, and a 3548xl. The only reason I have the 3548 is because the seller on Ebay mixed up my 3550 with someone else's 3548 when shipping the switches. He sent me a 3550 and told me to just keep the 3548. :D Pretty awesome.
    Goals for 2018: MCSA: Cloud Platform, AWS Solutions Architect, MCSA : Server 2016, MCSE: Messaging

• wbosherwbosher Member Posts: 422
    I used the 2950 and the 3524 for CCNA and found that the 3924 could do most things that the 2950 could do as far as the CCNA requirements went. I could probably get my hands on another 2950, but was wondering if I could get away with one L3 switch or if I need to get another one.
  • 4_lom4_lom Member Posts: 485
    You need at least two layer 3 switches. You could always get an SMI model and just do a IOS upgrade.
    Goals for 2018: MCSA: Cloud Platform, AWS Solutions Architect, MCSA : Server 2016, MCSE: Messaging

• SubnetZeroSubnetZero Member Posts: 124
    CiscoCerts wrote: »
    This is incorrect, MST will run on 2950 & 3550. You'd need 3560 for private-vlans as you already know.

Check for yourself here:
    Cisco.com Command Lookup Tool

Yes my mistake...

I remember that the 3550 does indeed support MST, just not PVLAN's.

Thanks for the correction :)

While no trees were harmed in the transmission of this message, several electrons were severely inconvenienced
    :cool:
    Just scored another 3550 that my work were about to throw away! :D:D:D That should be enough.
  • alxxalxx Member Posts: 755
    Don't forget Community Lab - Packet Life for the pvlans
    and
    Free CCNA Workbook » The Stub Lab provided by Free CCNA Workbook for everything except pvlans
    Goals CCNA by dec 2013, CCNP by end of 2014
    Just upgraded IOS to c3550-ipservicesk9-mz.122-44.SE6.bin, gonna have some fun now. :D