Passed 70-659 - tips + resource list

cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
I just passed 70-659 this morning with 850. Not my best score but given I don't work with Hyper-V every day I'll take it. I started studying for this early December and built a lab at home and one in the office a week before Christmas. My labs are definitely overkill but I really wanted to learn this stuff, not just pass the exam. The test is fair and lines up nicely with the objectives. I didn't find any major surprises other than obscure commands that I haven't seen in my studies. Storage and networking are key areas so make sure you understand features and limitations. VMM is also an important area. I'm glad I decided to add the Mastering SCVMM book to my resources. It definitely paid off.

I may entertain going for the VA cert as the other thing on my radar is CISSP but just don't have the time right now. We'll see.

Resources:

- Reviewed all TE posts regarding 70-659, started here: http://www.techexams.net/forums/virtualization/51260-70-669-resources.html
- Amazon.com: Mastering Microsoft Virtualization (9780470449585): Tim Cerling, Jeffrey Buller: Books
- Amazon.com: Mastering Virtual Machine Manager 2008 R2 (9780470463321): Michael Michael, Hector Linares: Books
- Courses 10936 through 10940 (free for MS registered partners)
- Aidan Finn, MVP
- Exam 70-659: TS: Windows Server 2008 R2, Server Virtualization
- Infrastructure Planning and Design Guides for Virtualization

Home Lab:
- Shuttle SH67H3: i7-2600, 16GB RAM, 1 TB SATA, 120GB SSD
- Freenas 8 on an old IBM x336
- Openfiler on old IBM x306
- ESXi 4.1 on an old HP D7600

Work Lab:
- 4 HP DL360 G5: 2 with 2008 R2 with Hyper-V role, one with Hyper-V Server 2008 R2, and one with ESXi 4.0
- NetApp FAS2040 for iSCSI, CSV, etc.

Comments

• MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats! What's next? Any plans to take the 70-403 (SCVMM) exam?
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • MrAgentMrAgent Member Posts: 1,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Congrats! What's next? Any plans to take the 70-403 (SCVMM) exam?

I'm very tempted to complete the MCITP:VA so most likely 70-669 followed by 70-693.
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats on pass!! icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Very nicely done. Go get that VA!

EDIT: Or maybe look at the VCP, seems to offer a lot more ROI.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Joseph HarlessJoseph Harless Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations.
  • MrBretonMrBreton Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations friend!
  • thall860thall860 Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass and thanks for the tips! I will be taking it at the end of the month.
    Had all of my WGU courses but too much to keep up on. I am working at it, will let you know when finished.
  • PovilasPovilas Member Posts: 77 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats on pass and thanks for sharing - it is very helpful resources. I was studying for month already, but felt that I need to work more on SCVMM. Now I'm definitely getting Mastering SCVMM book.
    2013 to do list:
    [70-413] [70-414]
  • steve13adsteve13ad Member Posts: 398 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass. I'm studying for it right now. How would you rate the test?