hanging process...

Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
What would cause a process to hang after it's been closed....as in I look in task man, and see winword.exe, excel.exe, and iexplore,exe, still running, even though the application has been closed. I know what each is, I just can't figure out why they hang after being closed. I have manually terminate the process itself, and it slows down the whole system if I don't.....any ideas??? icon_confused.gif
i remain, he who remains to be....

Comments

• Silver BulletSilver Bullet Member Posts: 676 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have seen that before with office. I simply reinstalled and it resolved the problem.

Best guess is that some of the office files were corrupt. That just seemed like a fast solution and it worked for me. So, to answer your question, I don't know what caused the corruption if any such corruption existed or what the exact cause of that was.

Hope that helps some.
  • Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    It happens with Adobe too I just found out damnit......I'll try a reinstall of Office later......
  • Chivalry1Chivalry1 Member Posts: 569
    Possibly your RAM memory needs replacing or upgrade.
    "The recipe for perpetual ignorance is: be satisfied with your opinions and
    content with your knowledge. " Elbert Hubbard (1856 - 1915)
  • Silver BulletSilver Bullet Member Posts: 676 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I just found this http://blogs.msdn.com/mswanson/archive/2005/05/12/416755.aspx

Looks like "X" close and File>Exit have 2 different means of closing office products..... not sure if that would apply to Adobe though. HMMM

I may have gone to the extreme by reinstalling....but the customer hasn't called back with the same problem.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    There are many steps involved in properly terminating a complex application like Word. Just because a window disappears from the screen doesn't mean an application has finished terminating. There are also many, many reasons why any given application would hang while closing down.

Try the Microsoft Office "repair" feature first. Also, make sure that you use Office Update to apply service pack 2 and all the hot fixes.
    Great, thanks all. I'll try the update later tonight, and maybe that Knockout program as well.
  • jescabjescab Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,321
    Did you figure out the problem?
    GO STEELERS GO - STEELERS RULE
    I still have to try and update office later. I tried that Knockout program, and just sucks up resources, only works on office programs. I'll work on it later and post an update then....
  • jescabjescab Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,321
    ok thanks - I just want to know incase I ever run across this.
    GO STEELERS GO - STEELERS RULE