Contract to hire.

SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
I'm really considering hitting the job market again (really just looking for more money at this point)... and I've already been contacted by some recruiters offering contract to hire positions.. Since they are recruiters part of a consulting firm I guess they work contracts and temp positions.. but how stable are these markets?

Anyone got any experience with these types of positions?
My Networking blog
Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS

Comments

• brianeaglesfanbrianeaglesfan Member Posts: 130
    I'm doing this right now, and while I appreciate the opportunity to work in different environments, it sucks being treated as a sub-employee. Enthusiasm for my first assignment fizzled out really quick, and while I like my current position it's with a state-run facility and there are all sorts of hoops to jump through for them to have the the chance to bring me on permanently. While the money is nice, Cobra insurance is expensive as well. I'm currently looking for a permanent position and there are some opportunities in the local job market. I personally would stick with applying for permanent gigs.
    Complete: MSMIS, MBA, EPIC certified
    In progress: CPHIMS, CAPM
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    It depends on the company really. Sometimes, the "contract" is just a formality to get you through the probationary period and the intent is to hire unless it's just not working out. (My current company used to do this quite a bit). Other times it totally open ended.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • millworxmillworx Member Posts: 290
    Ehh it's ok. I'm working a 1.5yr contract now with Cisco. It's a great job, they placed me well. But there are downsides. I get no health benefits. And while I do get a crapload of benefits here as just a contractor, like free transit pass, free internal training, etc. I also don't get to apply for internal jobs, etc. It's a tradeoff really. But if the contract pays well, and you can budget your money well so your not stuck in the event you don't get hired on perm, I see no reasons why you shouldn't persue it.
    Currently Reading:
    CCIE: Network Security Principals and Practices
    CCIE: Routing and Switching Exam Certification Guide
  • Lemonade727Lemonade727 Member Posts: 177
    blargoe wrote: »
    It depends on the company really. Sometimes, the "contract" is just a formality to get you through the probationary period and the intent is to hire unless it's just not working out. (My current company used to do this quite a bit). Other times it totally open ended.

Agree with this completely regarding the fact that it depends on the company. My previous position was a contract-to-hire position where I would get hired on after a 90 day period, but then the company went on a hiring freeze and I was a contractor there for over 2 years before they ended up outsourcing and costing me my position.

My current position was another contract-to-hire and this one actually worked as planned. It was a 6 month contract-to-hire and my official start date as a permanent employee is actually next Monday :D.

It's kind of hard to know in advance if it WILL go through, as anything could happen such as fiscal issues causing downgrades, replacements, etc. but most companies that say they're offering a contract-to-hire position usually do have the intent of hiring you on.
    Completed: EWB2, LAE1, WFV1, BAC1, BBC1, SSC1, SST1, BOV1, WSV1, GAC1, HHT1, QLT1, ORC1, LET1, MGC1, TPV1, INC1, WDV1​, INT1, LAT1, LUT1, IWC1, IWT1, KET1, KFT1, TWA1, CPW1
    Required:
    Finished! I'm a graduate now!
    Classes Transferred:
    AKV1, TTV1, TNV1, TSV1, ABV1, CLC1
  • sambuca69sambuca69 Member Posts: 262
    millworx wrote: »
    I also don't get to apply for internal jobs, etc.

You really can't apply to internal FT jobs since you are a consultant? Weird.. why is that?
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    sambuca69 wrote: »
    You really can't apply to internal FT jobs since you are a consultant? Weird.. why is that?
    They can also have you do the standard 90 day probationary period after you are hired on full time which may affect your holiday, vacation, and ability to apply for internal jobs for that time. Not all companies do this (or so I've heard) but I know people who have had the 90 day prob period after being hired on FT.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    Recruiters contact EVERYONE. I could do what everyone else does and put my resume on Monster and Careerbuilder and I promise you I'll have a few calls/emails within 48hrs.

Spend your time and energy looking for a fulltime gig first.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • jtoastjtoast Member Posts: 226
    SteveO86 wrote: »
    I'm really considering hitting the job market again (really just looking for more money at this point)... and I've already been contacted by some recruiters offering contract to hire positions.. Since they are recruiters part of a consulting firm I guess they work contracts and temp positions.. but how stable are these markets?

I spent 5 years on the road working contract gigs. My longest was 1.5 years and my shortest was 3 weeks. At one point I logged over 200 hotel days in a single year.

If you are single, don't mind traveling, and can deal with the pressure of absolute zero job security, its not bad. The money is good, you will make a ton of contacts across the nation, and be exposed to many different ways of doing things.

If you are not single, hate traveling, or hate dealing with financial stress, it may not be the lifestyle for you. There were times when one contract would end early and I had to find a job to cover the 3 month stretch until my next contract started. That's actually how I landed my current position. I started what I expected to be a 2 week gig between 6 month contracts and ended up staying.
  • SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    Thanks for the insight guys!

My only reason for changing jobs would be for money.. So I don't know if worry about contracts and what to do when it's up.. would suit me well, I mean I'd get by but I think I just prefer the stable full time permanent position.

For now anyway.. I haven't sat down with the recruiter yet to see if they sell on it though lol.
    My Networking blog
  • pinkydapimppinkydapimp Member Posts: 732 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I am in the same boat. I have been happily employed for 7 years and am looking for a new gig. A recruiter reached out to me regarding a contract to hire gig with a solid salary range, however, the contract portion paid significantly less.

It makes me nervous leaving a permanent position for a contract to hire position.

Question. The recruiter said that while its contract to hire, they plan on hiring the person. Should i be taking comments like this with a grain of salt?
  • TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I am in the same boat. I have been happily employed for 7 years and am looking for a new gig. A recruiter reached out to me regarding a contract to hire gig with a solid salary range, however, the contract portion paid significantly less.

It makes me nervous leaving a permanent position for a contract to hire position.

Question. The recruiter said that while its contract to hire, they plan on hiring the person. Should i be taking comments like this with a grain of salt?

Stay where you are and keep the solid paycheck. Pay down debt and save some money. I expect the market to have shocks over the next year.
  • EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661

Yes.

IMHO if you have ANY doubts about contract work or contract-to-hire jobs, AVOID them.

I've said it before in other threads, when you get these calls, and as SteveLord pointed out, simply posting your resume on a job site pretty much means you will, simply and politely say "Thank you for taking an interest in me. I am only interested in direct hire full time/permanent opportunities at this time, if you have any available, I'd be happy to work with you, otherwise I'm not interested."

I remember a recruiter I talked to many years ago when I was getting ready to leave the Air Force. He tried VERY hard to sell me on a 3 month contract-to-hire job. Telling me that with my qualifications he could get me any number of jobs his client was hiring for at the time. He went so far to compare my likelihood of getting a job to being a 1st round NBA draft pick. icon_rolleyes.gif This guy would not leave me alone for weeks. I just couldn't see myself moving halfway across the country for a job that might only last 3 months.
  • TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□

I would only move to go permanent at this point.
  • pinkydapimppinkydapimp Member Posts: 732 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Turgon wrote: »
    Stay where you are and keep the solid paycheck. Pay down debt and save some money. I expect the market to have shocks over the next year.

thanks for the advice. i do have the luxury of taking my time. so i will only consider permanent positions.
    Little bit of older thread icon_smile.gif

Yea I actually stuck around till I found my current (permanent) position network engineer for an MSP 7 months and counting. Was a definite change from being a network guy for a single network for 4 years to a network guy for more companies then I care to think about, so far so good though icon_smile.gif
    My Networking blog
  • someuser23someuser23 Member Posts: 103
    If I lived at home, I would work temp to perm or contract jobs to build experience since I am single but I have bills but it's good experience if you and a couple buddies shack up to keep the bills low.
    Ribs still touching....
  • onesaintonesaint Member Posts: 801
    Little bit of older thread icon_smile.gif

Yea I actually stuck around till I found my current (permanent) position network engineer for an MSP 7 months and counting. Was a definite change from being a network guy for a single network for 4 years to a network guy for more companies then I care to think about, so far so good though icon_smile.gif

Then belated congrats on the position!

What size was your old company?
    Work in progress: picking up Postgres, elastisearch, redis, Cloudera, & AWS.
    Next up: eventually the RHCE and to start blogging again.

Control Protocol; my blog of exam notes and IT randomness
    onesaint wrote: »
    Then belated congrats on the position!

What size was your old company?

Thanks!

My old company was around 4k clients, 10 locations, 100+ network/server devices.
    My Networking blog
  • LinuxRacrLinuxRacr Member Posts: 653 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm in the situation now where I may have the opportunity to pursue a contract-to-hire position outside of my current permanent position making substantially more money, and with the opportunity to gain new skills and experiences. I've had two phone interviews last week for permanent positions as well. The company I currently work for has seen some ripples lately in the form of substantial lay-offs, so I've had my feelers out. The best prospect so far seems to be the contract-to-hire position. I'm a little torn, but I'll get it worked out for sure.
    My WGU B.S. IT - Security Progress : Transferred In|Remaining|In Progress|Completed
    AGC1, CLC1, GAC1, INC1, CTV1, INT1, BVC1, TBP1, TCP1, QLT1, HHT1, QBT1, BBC1 (39 CUs), (0 CUs) (0 CUs)
    WFV1, BNC1, EAV1, EBV1, COV1 | MGC1, IWC1 | CQV1, CNV1, IWT1, RIT1 | DRV1, DSV1, TPV1, CVV1 | EUP1, EUC1, DHV1| CUV1, C173 | BOV1, CJV1, TXP1, TXC1 | TYP1, TYC1, SBT1, RGT1 (84 CUs) DONE!