DSL + Home Phone Line + CME + CUE

OverdashOverdash Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello,

I am studying CCNA Voice and am wanting to use some of my Cisco lab equipment on my home network and I have a few questions as far as hardware goes. I will be using an AT&T Internet+Phone Line bundle and want to get 1 router to handle WAN + VOIP.

What router would you recommend for this setup, and what Modules would you recommend as well? I know that I will need a DSL modem card (Which one is best?) for internet, and the NME-CUE for Unity.

Thanks guys!

Comments

• NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I have CME running on a 2691 with VIC-2FXS and VIC-2FXO cards. The voice portion of my lab also has a 3550 PoE switch to power the phones (2 x 7940). My analog phones plug into the FXS card. The FXO card can connect to the PSTN but I haven't got that far yet as I'm trying to finish up my CCNP before I get back to my voice studies.

I connect to DSL with a 2621 using PPPoE. It connects to a DSL modem that was converted to a bridge. Not sure if a DSL modem card would let you connect, it probably depends on the ISP.

Good luck with your lab.
  • OverdashOverdash Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Netwurk wrote: »
    I have CME running on a 2691 with VIC-2FXS and VIC-2FXO cards. The voice portion of my lab also has a 3550 PoE switch to power the phones (2 x 7940). My analog phones plug into the FXS card. The FXO card can connect to the PSTN but I haven't got that far yet as I'm trying to finish up my CCNP before I get back to my voice studies.

I connect to DSL with a 2621 using PPPoE. It connects to a DSL modem that was converted to a bridge. Not sure if a DSL modem card would let you connect, it probably depends on the ISP.

Good luck with your lab.

Thanks! +REP

I Have an old 1700 router with FXO & FXS cards that I could use or I could use my 2651XM which is my current CME. I also have a 3560 POE + 4x 7940 phones for the voice part. I was thinking of getting a 3640 router and loading it up with the NME-CUE (Voicemail server) and using it to connect to DSL.

I guess my next question is if there is a built-in DSL modem card that could fit into this router and why/why not it would work without an external DSL modem. I was kind of hoping I could just plug my DSL line into a Cisco router with a DSL card instead of an external DSL modem. What do you guys think?

Thanks very much for your reply!
  • NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I think those DSL cards are all ADSL, which means they're only meant for ATM networks. There are Cisco DSL modems available but they don't work with all ISPs.

The CCNA Voice forum doesn't get a lot of traffic, you might try your question in the CCNP or CCVP/CCNP Voice forums.
    Hmm...I thought that residential connections were all ADSL because of the unequal down/upload speeds. (Example: 6mbps\512kbps.)

Wondering if I should go 6mbps DSL or 18mbps U-verse I was getting REALLY excited about the U-verse fiber network thing, but then I read a post about AT&T not letting us use our own equipment:
    Cramer wrote:
    If you are talking about U-Verse, the answer is NO. Because AT&T doesn't allow it. At best, you'll be able to get the line to sync, but that's all. First off, they use certificate based authentication; and you're not going to get a valid cert from them. Second, the network is not ATM cell based -- it's "ip dslam", whatever the hell that is? And finally, I doubt you'd ever be able to get the IPTV multicast streams working. That said, there are people with VDSL2+ internet connections. I don't know who their ISP(s) are, but I do know it's not AT&T U-Verse.
    @ [Info] Cisco VDSL2 WICs - Cisco | DSLReports Forums

Don't know what I should do, I guess if I get a separate POTS line I can still do my CCNA Voice studies, but the WAN experience would have been good as well, I feel like I have already learned so much just from reading about DSL and trying to come up with a plan.
  • gregorio323gregorio323 Member Posts: 201 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hey Overdash,

are you currently running AT&T U-verse ADSL2+? or the old AT&T ADSL. Also Do not get a 3640 get a 3745 router they have much higher PPS :) and you can snag one for about 100 - 200$.
    Hey! i use that link for reference! lol. But yeah, 3745 I would personally go with they are AWESOME. But unfortunately my lab at home is filled with 1841's and 2800's. May buy myself a 3825 just to spoil myself.
    Hey Overdash,

are you currently running AT&T U-verse ADSL2+? or the old AT&T ADSL. Also Do not get a 3640 get a 3745 router they have much higher PPS :) and you can snag one for about 100 - 200$.

ADSL2+ it comes with a stupid grey battery pack that I keep tripping over. I got the internet + phone bundle.
    alxx wrote: »

Thank you both (+REP) for the excellent information! Just as I give up on this post you guys come in and bring it back to life!

Do either of you think I could stick a CUE module in a 3745 router along with an NM-2V Voice Module + VIC-2FXS + VIC-2FXO cards?

I want to try and do Unity express & Call manager express in the same router if possible. All-in-one home phone solution kinda deal, thanks :)
    Yeah, It's a bit expensive the ADSL2+ module to replace it i thought about it and i think the cheapest i seen was around 300$. So i kept my AT&T uverse icon_sad.gif. You can also get some phone lines going in and out for fun from flowroute.com is 6.95 a month and 1.00 per phone number get a sip trunk going on.

Here is the link for all the details you need for 3700 series routers see what hardware and IOS versions you need.

http://www.cisco.com/web/ANZ/cpp/refguide/hview/router/3700.html#3745
    You can also put in a NME 16 port poe switch on them :D!!!

looking at that link i'm buying myself a few of these on my next pay day :)