Options

CCNP Employer Test using GNS3

RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
GNS3 – My Technical Test for Employers « Journey of a Certification Candidate

Im not sure if anyone else has seen this: It's designed for employers to test potential CCNP Candidates. Weed people out.
In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

Comments

• Options
    martell1000martell1000 Member Posts: 389
    i think tests like that are a great thing for employers and candidates.

emplyoers can determine if the person know his stuff and candidates can show if they have what is required for the job.

kind of a win win situation.
    And then, I started a blog ...
  • Options
    mayhem87mayhem87 Member Posts: 73 ■■□□□□□□□□
    cool little test but I think the one about creating vlans using the vlan database command is kinda dumb... what is the point of that considering its supposed to be going away?
  • Options
    Nate--IRL--Nate--IRL-- Member Posts: 103 ■■□□□□□□□□
    It is the only way to do it in GNS3 - it is the only method the etherswitch module supports.

Nate
  • Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    If I ever get to design an interview, I would do this exact thing, except on real equipment so you don't have to do any goofy workarounds with the ESW modules.

All 11 of these tasks are relatively easy as well.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Options
    mayhem87mayhem87 Member Posts: 73 ■■□□□□□□□□
    well damn now i feel stupid lol. haven't played around with that yet guess i better lab it out =P
  • Options
    SettSett Member Posts: 187
    I was always wondering why nobody is doing this. It should be the standard practice on the job interviews.
    Non-native English speaker
  • Options
    Sett wrote: »
    I was always wondering why nobody is doing this. It should be the standard practice on the job interviews.
    We would never be able to do this here I think, because we have to give the exact same interview to all candidates. If a Cisco heavy and a Microsoft heavy guy apply, it'd be silly to give the MS candidate a CCNP test, and I don't think they'd let us give them separate tests.

I guess we could give them an MS AND a Cisco test though, with the expectation that they would do better on one vs the other.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
  • Options
    SettSett Member Posts: 187
    I was speaking about networking specific job interviews. I haven't red GNS3/Dynamips terms of agreement. There might be a clause which prevents the commercial usage and the job interview might be classified as such.
    I doubt it though.
    Non-native English speaker
  • Options
    SteakuddinSteakuddin Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    thanks for the sharing this. really great indeed, i've recently started my ccnp track and will take the switch test first. i'm wondering if solutions are available as well to the mentioned 11 tasks.

thx again.
  • Options
    deth1kdeth1k Member Posts: 312
    I prefer real gear when it comes to interview labs, i don't want to spend 30 minutes finding out why OSPF isn't coming up when it's down to CPU whilst candidate is sitting and waiting for something to happen. This will look very unprofessional.
  • Options
    instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    We would never be able to do this here I think, because we have to give the exact same interview to all candidates. If a Cisco heavy and a Microsoft heavy guy apply, it'd be silly to give the MS candidate a CCNP test, and I don't think they'd let us give them separate tests.

I guess we could give them an MS AND a Cisco test though, with the expectation that they would do better on one vs the other.

Exact same interview to all candidates?

Is this under the expectation that all candidates are going to be doing the exact same job?

Otherwise, this makes no sense at all.
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • Options
    RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□

Yes, a microsoft certified person shouldn't be expect to know anything the above, but a valid CCNP certified person should. If you have CCNP listed on your resume, and acting as you have the knowledge of a CCNP. It's more objective that going about it the long way and asking questions :)
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    deth1k wrote: »
    I prefer real gear when it comes to interview labs, i don't want to spend 30 minutes finding out why OSPF isn't coming up when it's down to CPU whilst candidate is sitting and waiting for something to happen. This will look very unprofessional.

Run it on sufficient hardware and you don't have to worry about that. Besides, someone that can figure out why your lab is broken has some good troubleshooting skills. :D
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    instant000 wrote: »
    Otherwise, this makes no sense at all.
    Don't get me started. :)
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%