Passed CEH v7 this morning!

shagismshagism Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
I passed the CEHv7 exam after taking a CEH class last week.

I thought the class was a lot of fun, we got to use the tools and attack VM's and each other. The instructor was very knowledgeable and had a lot of energy.

The exam was strange and at times poorly worded, but nothing too drastic.

Other than the class I read the AIO book and watched some videos on the VTE site.

Let me know if you have any questions about the class or the exam

Comments

• MrAgentMrAgent Member Posts: 1,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats! Where did you take your class?
  • shagismshagism Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks!

I took it at a university. The instructor was contracted out through the Continuing Education section of the university
  • MrAgentMrAgent Member Posts: 1,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Ah nice. The reason why I ask is because that is something I plan on getting this year. The thing is I have to pay for my own class. I know that I can take an online course through the EC Council, but I dont know how good the online course is.

Again congrats.
    Honestly the material that ECCouncil gives you is pretty weak. The book isn't indexed and just consists of the slides that the instructor goes over.

The lab book had some cool labs, but wasn't indexed so it would be hard to use with guidance.

They also give you like 6 DVD's with various security tools on them which is fun, but there are SO MANY that it would be hard to know what to concentrate on.

The AIO book was very helpful especially the exercises.
  • chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congrats amigo! Very well done! i plan on buying the AIO book. Looks like it is packed with solid and valuable information.
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • swildswild Member Posts: 828
    I bought the ECCouncil Courseware pretty cheap on ebay. I got through volume 1 and partly in to volume 2 and decided that I just wouldn't be comfortable taking an exam based solely on that material. I have the AIO and like the way that it looks, but my security studies have taken a back seat to WGU and then Cisco. Hopefully I will be able to get back into it some time around the end of 2013.
  • coty24coty24 Member Posts: 263 ■□□□□□□□□□
    swild wrote: »
    I bought the ECCouncil Courseware pretty cheap on ebay. I got through volume 1 and partly in to volume 2 and decided that I just wouldn't be comfortable taking an exam based solely on that material. I have the AIO and like the way that it looks, but my security studies have taken a back seat to WGU and then Cisco. Hopefully I will be able to get back into it some time around the end of 2013.

I hear you man! I'm kinda of in the same boat, but with Microsoft. I just scheduled the 70-646; once that is out of the way then I get to do some fun stuff(CEH study!)
    Passed LOT2 :)Working on FMV2(CHFI v8 ) Done!
  • Chivalry1Chivalry1 Member Posts: 569
    Congrats on your pass and welcome to the club.
    "The recipe for perpetual ignorance is: be satisfied with your opinions and
    content with your knowledge. " Elbert Hubbard (1856 - 1915)
  • SubnetZeroSubnetZero Member Posts: 124
    Congrats on your CEH! Well done

While no trees were harmed in the transmission of this message, several electrons were severely inconvenienced
    :cool:
  • jaayw1jaayw1 Member Posts: 28 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats!!! I am in the process of studying and completing CBT Nuggets and LearnKey's CEH Series. I plan to read the CEH study guide and conduct plenty of labs....thanks for the valueable information.

Good Luck to everyone else.
  • Agent47Agent47 Member Posts: 103
    You used Matt Walker's book?
    Yes, the Matthew Walker All-in-one was the book I read for it.
  • Agent47Agent47 Member Posts: 103
    Sweet! Congrats on your pass. I am studying for that exam myself :) How long from start to finish did it take you to study for it? Just the 1 week class? Or did you study prior to taking the class?
    I studied for about a month and a half on the exam specifically. Then I took the 1 week course. I found that I knew a decent chunk of the information from my own experience and the course just helped solidify some topics that would be on the exam.

The things I had to memorize were ICMP codes and the rarely used switches for nmap and netcat and snort and the like.

Good luck studying.
  • beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    And the v7 exam makes more sense now than the older v4 and v5 exams of yesteryear. Really hated taking the v5 exam, myself.

Congratulations and good luck with the Delta system.

- beads
  • fidzofidzo Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    congratulations; will take it a bit later
  • madmausmadmaus Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Gratz! Work is sending me to the course but that will not be till May. It matters not, I will still be hitting the books prior to that and I hope to take the cert by midyear. I know that I should probably take it sooner but I have to pace myself since I just started my MSIA.

Again, great job!
  • shellee1983shellee1983 Member Posts: 71 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I have a ton of questions about the test. I am so anxious because I am taking it this Friday. How would you rate the difficulty? How badly were the questions worded, was it worse than the CompTIA exams? I keep hearing that they have a lot of content on NetCat, Nmap and Hping 2 commands, is that true? Thanks in advance for answering my questions I am going to be cramming seriously for this exam even though I have been studying for it the better ppart of 2 months.
    I genuinely did not think it was super hard. There were more questions on nmap than any other specific tool but I think the other tools were just making sure you understand the syntax of the commands and what particular flags mean. I thought it was harder than CompTIA but easier than the MS exams. Yes, there were some grammatical errors and strange things on the exam, but it wasn't as brutal as I thought it would be based on previous posts.

I think I missed some questions on ICMP codes, so you could go over those.

Good luck!
  • shellee1983shellee1983 Member Posts: 71 ■■□□□□□□□□
    What kind of ICMP codes are there.....I only know the two 11, 0 and 13, 0....Are there more? Where can I find the full list. Any help would be of great assistance. I was super scared when I took the Security + exam but I came out with 827 points I think, I know it was above 800 though.