Options

Certs most likely to land you a new job

BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
Certifications most likely to land you a new job | TechRepublic

If you have all of these, can you make 500k/yr ?

Comments

• Options
    NinjaBoyNinjaBoy Member Posts: 968
    Bokeh wrote: »
    Certifications most likely to land you a new job | TechRepublic

If you have all of these, can you make 500k/yr ?

Certifications play a small part, you also have to have:

1. The technical skills and I mean really good technical skills
    2. Business skills
    3. The opportunities (eg right sector, right area, etc)
    4. The contacts
    5. Possibly either employment in a very large organsation or your own company

*Winning the lottery would help also :)

But having those certs alone... Then, imo, "no"...
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I love how they just say ITIL. ITIL Foundation, Intermediates, or Expert?
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    MCP? Really?
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    ptilsen wrote: »
    MCP? Really?

How lame is that article and list. I want my 1 min back!

Boken that is not directed at you.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    N2IT wrote: »

Exactly what I thought.
  • Options
    someuser23someuser23 Member Posts: 103
    MCP? Really?

For jobs supporting Windows, you'll probably need some sort of MS cert...

Do you think the N+ will do more for entry level than the CCENT since the CCENT is specifically for Cisco?

These guys in the I.T department told me go N+ first, then Cisco to get in...
    Ribs still touching....
  • Options
    FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□

Do you think the N+ will do more for entry level than the CCENT since the CCENT is specifically for Cisco?

i was told the same.
  • Options
    WafflesAndRootbeerWafflesAndRootbeer Member Posts: 555
    N2IT wrote: »

Boken that is not directed at you.

15 minutes browsing a job finding website for keywords = Same damn article every year.
  • Options
    WafflesAndRootbeerWafflesAndRootbeer Member Posts: 555

Believe it or not, N+ is more in demand for desktop support than actual networking jobs. The N+ material just makes a half-decent primer for the Cisco networking fundamentals content as they are obviously related.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod

Just go straight for the CCNA IMO. No point doing the CCENT or N+.

As to the article, there are too many other factors involved in getting a job as NinjaBoy pointed out, but I'd say most of those are fairly useful in finding a job. Why else would most of the people here be trying to get at least one of the ones on that list?
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    15 minutes browsing a job finding website for keywords = Same damn article every year.

LMAO

No kidding.
  • Options
    Yes, indeed, but you need a real MS cert. MCP is achieved by passing any of a huge variety of MS tests. However, the MCP certification itself is A. deprecated and B. doesn't signify any specific skill. It certainly won't help you get from point A. to point B. in IT.

To get somewhere with MS certifications in IT infrastructure, one needs a minimum of MCSA or an MCTS certification. MCP is not going to do much besides get you that level one helpdesk job. To actually move up, you need to be looking at an MCITP certification or MCSE. The article and author lose all credibility with the implication that MCP will help land you a new job in the same way MCITP, MCSE, CISSP, PMP, etc. will.
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
  • Options
    CCENT is achieved by passing ICND1, which precedes ICND2. Getting both achieves CCNA. The only disadvantage to doing the ICDN1 and 2 instead of the composite exam is that you have to go to the test center twice.

As far as Network+, it makes more sense to a helpdesk, DST, or server department, IMO. Yes, CCNA covers virtually all of the Network+ material, and CCENT covers 70-80% of it and in more depth. However, CCENT and CCNA cover skills not typically needed outside of network administration, and they are both more difficult and costly to obtain than Network+. Network+ is a good exam for an individual seeking to become a systems administrator, analyst, engineer, etc.
  • Options
    CCENT is achieved by passing ICND1, which precedes ICND2. Getting both achieves CCNA. The only disadvantage to doing the ICDN1 and 2 instead of the composite exam is that you have to go to the test center twice.

As far as Network+, it makes more sense to a helpdesk, DST, or server department, IMO. Yes, CCNA covers virtually all of the Network+ material, and CCENT covers 70-80% of it and in more depth. However, CCENT and CCNA cover skills not typically needed outside of network administration, and they are both more difficult and costly to obtain than Network+. Network+ is a good exam for an individual seeking to become a systems administrator, analyst, engineer, etc.

I understand how you achieve the certifications, but IMO it makes more sense to just hit up the testing center one time and have the CCNA and be done with it. Way more ROI than the CCENT or N+ regardless of the job you are going for if you ask me. The price difference in taking the CCNA and N+ is pretty negligible if I remember correctly.
  • Options
    Todd BurrellTodd Burrell Member Posts: 280
    I agree with the other comments that the MCP is pretty worthless - since the MCSA is not that hard to get. I also would think that Network+ is not worth much - I would much rather see someone have CCENT or CCNA.

As for ITIL, I do not believe this is talking about just Foundations. I am in the process of taking the Intermediate exams right now and there is a HUGE difference between Foundations and the other material in the Intermediate exams. I would think you would need ITIL Expert to get a 6 figure salary.
  • Options
    I understand how you achieve the certifications, but IMO it makes more sense to just hit up the testing center one time and have the CCNA and be done with it. Way more ROI than the CCENT or N+ regardless of the job you are going for if you ask me. The price difference in taking the CCNA and N+ is pretty negligible if I remember correctly.
    When you consider the cost of the study material and the time put into the test (The test cost is negligible), Net+ makes a lot more sense for someone looking for an entry-level DST or helpdesk job. The skills and knowledge learned on the CCNA will be nothing short of completely useless to them as routing and switching issues are not within their day-to-day work. Network+ focuses more on troubleshooting networking issues and common protocols used in most networks and fits very well within those types of jobs.

As far as raw market value, CCNA of course has higher ROI than Network+. However, CCNA does not really help much getting an entry-level job or even a server admin job. I can tell you that I won't hire a CCNA candidate for a level 1 DST position if that is his only credential, but I would hire a candidate with only an A+ or Network+. The CCNA means he probably doesn't want to do the job I need him to for very long, and isn't even interesting in staying in my organization. The A+ or Network+ indicate the opposite.
  • Options
    When you consider the cost of the study material and the time put into the test (The test cost is negligible), Net+ makes a lot more sense for someone looking for an entry-level DST or helpdesk job. The skills and knowledge learned on the CCNA will be nothing short of completely useless to them as routing and switching issues are not within their day-to-day work. Network+ focuses more on troubleshooting networking issues and common protocols used in most networks and fits very well within those types of jobs.

As far as raw market value, CCNA of course has higher ROI than Network+. However, CCNA does not really help much getting an entry-level job or even a server admin job. I can tell you that I won't hire a CCNA candidate for a level 1 DST position if that is his only credential, but I would hire a candidate with only an A+ or Network+. The CCNA means he probably doesn't want to do the job I need him to for very long, and isn't even interesting in staying in my organization. The A+ or Network+ indicate the opposite.

So you want someone that sets their goals low and wants to stick around in the heldesk? Ok... Agree to disagree I suppose.
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■

I would submit to you that getting the A+ would make more sense for achieving a Help Desk position. I've never seen the Network+ on a job posting.

Agreed. Looking back I would have been much better off chasing the CCNA right after I got done with my AAS in Computer Networking.
  • Options
    djfunzdjfunz Member Posts: 307

Well speaking on a strictly financial perspective, I personally would rather be out $150.00 if I fail versus $295.00.

Then there's the marketability factor. If I would like to be somewhat employable in a NOC environment, I will attain the CCENT much quicker to have a valuable cert on my resume, than if I study everything and have to wait and pass the CCNA and have nothing on my resume until I do that.
    WGU Progress - B.S. IT - Completed
  • Options
    sys_tecksys_teck Member Posts: 130 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hm....HR people ...do they really have a clue about IT or just whoever wrote that article was pulling strings out?
    Most HR folks are clueless.

first N+ , then Security+ then either MCITP/MCSA/MCSE or CCNE <at any order>
    working on CCNA
  • Options
    So you want someone that sets their goals low and wants to stick around in the heldesk? Ok... Agree to disagree I suppose.
    No, the key was "and isn't even interesting in staying in my organization." Someone who starts with their CCNA probably wants to be configuring switches and routers or designing and managing larger networks. That isn't what we do and CCNA-level knowledge is mostly irrelevant to what we do. I want to hire guys that want to eventually be systems engineers, designing and managing server systems. If they want to do something else, why would I hire them?
  • Options
    No, the key was "and isn't even interesting in staying in my organization." Someone who starts with their CCNA probably wants to be configuring switches and routers or designing and managing larger networks. That isn't what we do and CCNA-level knowledge is mostly irrelevant to what we do. I want to hire guys that want to eventually be systems engineers, designing and managing server systems. If they want to do something else, why would I hire them?

I'm speaking more generally rather than one specific organization. Of course all organizations have their own practices and advancement paths.
  • Options
    I'm speaking more generally rather than one specific organization. Of course all organizations have their own practices and advancement paths.

Generally speaking, few MSPs or server teams needs CCNA-level networking knowledge. My position and organization are not unique. CCNA skills can bring value to a systems administrator, but it doesn't make sense as a focal choice for someone interested in systems administration. It would make far more sense to get Net+ or even CCENT because they are easy, then move on to MS, Linux, or whatever relevant studies or certifications they want. Getting CCNA off the bat and skipping Net+ doesn't make sense for someone who will never configure a Cisco router in their entire career.
  • Options
    Generally speaking, few MSPs or server teams needs CCNA-level networking knowledge. My position and organization are not unique. CCNA skills can bring value to a systems administrator, but it doesn't make sense as a focal choice for someone interested in systems administration. It would make far more sense to get Net+ or even CCENT because they are easy, then move on to MS, Linux, or whatever relevant studies or certifications they want. Getting CCNA off the bat and skipping Net+ doesn't make sense for someone who will never configure a Cisco router in their entire career.

You have your opinion, but I don't agree with it. CCNA is more valuable to someone seeking employment regardless from the way I see it.
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I would submit to you that getting the A+ would make more sense for achieving a Help Desk position. I've never seen the Network+ on a job posting.

They have N+ listed on job postings in the Seattle area quite often. They also have MCSE, CCIE preferred for a $14/hour Tier 1 Help Desk position, too, so it's all relative.
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You have your opinion, but I don't agree with it. CCNA is more valuable to someone seeking employment regardless from the way I see it.

I agree with this. A lot of the skills a CCNA has acquired will be useful for both the networking side and server side. Knowing the OSI model is essential to troubleshooting. There are a lot of JOATs out there who use knowledge from "both sides" to do their job. This seems to be common in smaller companies, though.
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Historically, people went desktop, server, network.

Today, I would go CCNA first. The network is the basis. Then go A+, MCP, Linux. Whatever you want to work with that runs on the network. I think the CCNA studies will make you a better desktop or server operator in the long run.
  • Options
    Turgon wrote: »
    Historically, people went desktop, server, network.

Today, I would go CCNA first. The network is the basis. Then go A+, MCP, Linux. Whatever you want to work with that runs on the network. I think the CCNA studies will make you a better desktop or server operator in the long run.

Our qualitative study here on TE proved that to be the wisest move. In fact several members switched their study plans because of it.

Glad to have helped ;)
  • Options
    eansdadeansdad Member Posts: 775 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I've got 3 of them and have helped write 1 of them ... Yup no new job leads here. Unless you count the 1 month contract positions making almost nothing. Until I finish my BS and possible my masters I don't expect to get the new job I want.
  • Options
    eansdad wrote: »
    I've got 3 of them and have helped write 1 of them ... Yup no new job leads here. Unless you count the 1 month contract positions making almost nothing. Until I finish my BS and possible my masters I don't expect to get the new job I want.

Bachelors is a must. No questions about it.