rate-limit command nice but need more options

itdaddyitdaddy Member Posts: 2,089 ■■■■□□□□□□
hey guys.I am using the rate-limit command and it works great.
But I would like more power/options.

At nite time available is more pipe size and I want the command to adjust to what is available
at nite time after 6pm they can use the full pipe to get the job done. I run backups and want
during nite time up to morning to use entire SPEED of the wan links.
We have 15 meg, 10 meg, and 5 meg fiber lines. and I want at nite time till morning to use entire wan speed? 6pm to 6am to use full pipe. what techniques to learn to allow these backups destinted to an IP address use more pipe at nite? is there some technique I can set the rate-limit command to not run at a certian time but run from 6am to 6pm run and at night not run at all?? and no restrictions so backups can run faster???

I do know know but someone has to be able to maye point me in right direction thanks guys.
icon_study.gif

Comments

• SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    I have never done it in production, but the rate limit matches on an ACL, so why not try an a time based ACL icon_smile.gif

Time-Based Access Lists Using Time Ranges* [Cisco IOS Software Releases 12.0 T] - Cisco Systems
    Service providers can dynamically change a Committed Access Rate (CAR) configuration to support the Quality of Service (QOS) Service Level Agreements (SLAs) that are negotiated for certain times of day.

Just make sure the clock is correct first and you have NTP configured icon_smile.gif
    My Networking blog
    Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
    Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS
  • ColbyGColbyG Member Posts: 1,264
    Why are you using the rate-limit command instead of MQC? The former is pretty limited compared to the latter.
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    ColbyG wrote: »
    Why are you using the rate-limit command instead of MQC? The former is pretty limited compared to the latter.

My thoughts exactly.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • itdaddyitdaddy Member Posts: 2,089 ■■■■□□□□□□
    rate-limit command has worked good for now and something I could pick up easy, I need to use MQC you got it and since you guys are CCIP it is easy for you. and I am going to look and learn how to use this...thanks mates!
  • SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    MQC really isn't that bad, trust me once I picked it apart I was surprised at how easy it was to get a hold of.

Plus after you get to lab it a few times and check out it's capabilities you'll love it.

I did two posts on MQC they might be helpful: QoS « Another networking blog but labbing it will be great. Plus you can still match the traffic with ACL's in class-map and specify your bandwidth constraints within the policy-map.
    My Networking blog
    Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
    Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS
  • pitviperpitviper Member Posts: 1,376 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Another possibility would be to use an EEM script to change the config and change it back @ predetermined times. I use this all of the time for voice "stuff" and it just plain old works once it's setup.
    CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, CCNA:V, CCNA, CCENT
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    pitviper wrote: »
    Another possibility would be to use an EEM script to change the config and change it back @ predetermined times. I use this all of the time for voice "stuff" and it just plain old works once it's setup.

Cool idea. I've messed with the EEM stuff a bit but never used it in production. I've done a bit with JUNOS scripts though and that's worked pretty well. More for information gathering rather than configuration changes though.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
    I'd hate to do too much of that kind of thing in production. I'd worry about the people who touched the devices after me. I try to avoid little hacks like that in real life.
  • pitviperpitviper Member Posts: 1,376 ■■■■■■■□□□
    ColbyG wrote: »
    I'd hate to do too much of that kind of thing in production. I'd worry about the people who touched the devices after me. I try to avoid little hacks like that in real life.

Merely presenting an option – individual mileage may vary. Not saying that it’s the best option given the circumstances, but I certainly wouldn’t call it a hack since EEM is supported by, and used by TAC.
    CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, CCNA:V, CCNA, CCENT
    Eh, I'd still call it a hack. Maybe I'm using the term too loosely, but I consider stuff like EEM, PBR, etc to be hacks that I use only as an absolute last resort. Not criticizing, just stating my experience. It sucks to be the guy going behind someone who's too creative. Troubleshooting an outage can take far longer due to the time it takes figuring out what the guy before you was thinking.
  • itdaddyitdaddy Member Posts: 2,089 ■■■■□□□□□□
    thanks Steve086 willl do I might for now do that times ACL that should work for now but I need to hit the CCIP track someday, I believe it is very key today thanks man.
    OMG steve. i love size of your fonts on that blog you mentioned omg i am blind as a bat and man love the big text ;))