Options

Editing the Registry

cussetacusseta Member Posts: 47 ■■□□□□□□□□
What is the difference between regedit and regedt32? My Sibex book says that, in XP Pro, typing the regedt32 command from the Run box will automatically redirect you to regedit. Is this true? What if one of the questions on the test asked which registry editor to use when editing the registry? Would it be regedit or regedt32? Thanks!
Sometimes you've got to prove to your friends that you're still worth a damn!

Comments

• Options
    eastpeastp Member Posts: 179
    The correct is : Regedit.exe this is the configuration editor for Windows XP and Windows Server 2003. Regedit.exe is used tomodify the Windows NT configuration database, or the Windows NT registry.
    Regedt32.exe is a small program that just runs Regedit.exe

Source:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;141377

Kind regards.
    Eastp.
    Multitasking:
    Screwing up several things at once.
  • Options
    cussetacusseta Member Posts: 47 ■■□□□□□□□□
    This is not an important question, but I'm curious to know why they have a regedt32 if it just opens regedit?
    Sometimes you've got to prove to your friends that you're still worth a damn!
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    regedt32 is a leftover from Windows NT, its still available for those who are used to the command. Here's another thread with basically the same question:
    icon_arrow.gifwww.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10163
    but it's also in the article eastp posted.
  • Options
    crabeatercrabeater Member Posts: 88 ■■□□□□□□□□
    In the class I took, they said regedit had better search abilities, but regedt32 was the "newer" version [but Johan knows a lot, so it certainly came from NT] for Win2K.

They said use the old one to find things, but the new one to change them (for compatability issues).

But with XP, MS has tried to get rid of the confusion by "using" only one version. Good idea, except now people have questions like yours.

THANKS "Uncle Bill"