70-640 exam question

epicdeanepicdean Member Posts: 50 ■■□□□□□□□□
So I am going to start studying for the 70-640 exam and was wondering if I need to study windows 2008 R2 or can I just study windows 2008. The reason I ask is because my server dose not support 64bit host and I wanted to use ESXi server for this.

Comments

• PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    epicdean wrote: »
    So I am going to start studying for the 70-640 exam and was wondering if I need to study windows 2008 R2 or can I just study windows 2008. The reason I ask is because my server dose not support 64bit host and I wanted to use ESXi server for this.

You definitely need R2 for this exam. The exam references a lot of the newer R2 material.
  • epicdeanepicdean Member Posts: 50 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Ya I thought so, Do you think a 2.6ghz core2 with 4 gigs or ram would be good enough to run 2 vm in virtual box and have my 64 bit server run one install of windows server 2008 r2 for my labs I am not really to sure how many boxes I need to lab
  • method115method115 Member Posts: 85 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Ya I thought so, Do you think a 2.6ghz core2 with 4 gigs or ram would be good enough to run 2 vm in virtual box and have my 64 bit server run one install of windows server 2008 r2 for my labs I am not really to sure how many boxes I need to lab

That should be good for two servers I run the same on my laptop. Some labs require up to 3-4 servers but this is very rare two servers or one server and a workstation is what you'll use most.

Yep, that will work. I have run 4 servers on my x86 workstation, when doing federation services. Servers were slow, but they work. As method115 stated, most of the labs require a DC, member server, and a client. 4 GB of RAM will work for those.
  • epicdeanepicdean Member Posts: 50 ■■□□□□□□□□
    What is a good book to buy for my studys
    What is a good book to buy for my studys

Make sure if you buy the MS press book, you get the 2nd editions, which are updated for Server 2008 R2. You can do the labs in the books. Server 2008 R2 unleashed and the Sybex all in one are also good. MS also has some virtual labs you can do or follow along with.