Carrier Class MPLS or BGP experince

I had some people contact me about a job, they saw BGP/MPLS on my resume, but they insisted they are looking for "carrier class" experience, with that said they are willing to over look this as I have something else they want(Clearance)

So to the SP guys on here, what is the difference with carrier level BGP, MPLS, vs a enterprise who may have there own MPLS cloud.
Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related

Comments

• ColbyGColbyG Member Posts: 1,264
    MPLS on enterprise job descriptions typically means that the engineer has transparently used an MPLS circuit, not that they've touched LDP or MP-BGP. Did you clarify it with them? Maybe they want TE and other technologies you typically wouldn't see even in an enterprise running MPLS (actual LDP/MP-BGP).
  • shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    LIke you said most people just buy MPLS circuits.

However there are quite a few enterprises that have there own clouds I worked in 1 as a NOC worker, but I was just looking for a differnence between the 2. However I don't have clarification on what he meant by it.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • vinbuckvinbuck Member Posts: 785 ■■■■□□□□□□
    shodown wrote: »
    I had some people contact me about a job, they saw BGP/MPLS on my resume, but they insisted they are looking for "carrier class" experience, with that said they are willing to over look this as I have something else they want(Clearance)

So to the SP guys on here, what is the difference with carrier level BGP, MPLS, vs a enterprise who may have there own MPLS cloud.

They are probably going to want to see MPLS/BGP experience on platforms like 7600, 6500, ASR, etc if it's a Cisco shop - no clue on the Juniper side. As Colby said, TE and understanding the MPLS forwarding plane/control plane are important. Other things might include MPLS Layer 2 and 3 VPNS, iBGP, eBGP, BGP Route Reflection and working with multiple VRFs.
    Cisco was my first networking love, but my "other" router is a Mikrotik...
    Thanks for the tips, I'm more than likely gonna pass, they are willing to train me up as they need my VOIP experience and they already said I have a solid enough WAN background that they could get me up to speed, but honestly there is no real intrest.
    Currently Reading

• RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Thanks for the tips, I'm more than likely gonna pass, they are willing to train me up as they need my VOIP experience and they already said I have a solid enough WAN background that they could get me up to speed, but honestly there is no real intrest.

Is it a pay check?
    Do you need the money?
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

I always need the money, but I'm looking for the right job. I want my focus to be mainly around UC. I do like routing in some since, but I have a feeling I will get there do a few VOIP jobs then end up doing the rest of my work on some large WAN. This company has some WAN contrats for some big players. One of the WAN's is so large its considered a ISP cause its not only supports the company they have it supporting the companies clients and subsidiaries
    Currently Reading

I always need the money, but I'm looking for the right job. I want my focus to be mainly around UC. I do like routing in some since, but I have a feeling I will get there do a few VOIP jobs then end up doing the rest of my work on some large WAN. This company has some WAN contrats for some big players. One of the WAN's is so large its considered a ISP cause its not only supports the company they have it supporting the companies clients and subsidiaries

Sounds like military.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.

• networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod

Sounds like AOL!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
    Sounds like AOL!

AOL Timewarner is still around?

The other big problem was no working from home. They are working on the policy, but still management hasn't' bitten off on it.
    Currently Reading

• Ryan82Ryan82 Member Posts: 428
    Roguetadhg wrote: »
    AOL Timewarner is still around?

I believe they are in the content provider business these days
  • APAAPA Member Posts: 959
    1) TWC are still around.... ;)

2) Typical Enterprise MPLS experience usually involves - MPLS VPNs, however again this is usually bought as a managed service from a service provider. Some enterprises if they are large enough will run MPLS-TE.... but as others have mentioned anything related to VPLS\Martini Tunnels\Kompella L2VPNs would be purchased as a transparent service by the Enterprise.

CCNA | CCNA:Security | CCNP | CCIP
    JNCIA:JUNOS | JNCIA:EX | JNCIS:ENT | JNCIS:SEC
    JNCIS:SP | JNCIP:SP
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    APA wrote: »
    1) TWC are still around.... ;)

2) Typical Enterprise MPLS experience usually involves - MPLS VPNs, however again this is usually bought as a managed service from a service provider. Some enterprises if they are large enough will run MPLS-TE.... but as others have mentioned anything related to VPLS\Martini Tunnels\Kompella L2VPNs would be purchased as a transparent service by the Enterprise.

Depends on the enterprise. I know of a few that run their own L2 VPNs and I'm sure there are more out there.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • vinbuckvinbuck Member Posts: 785 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Depends on the enterprise. I know of a few that run their own L2 VPNs and I'm sure there are more out there.

Yeah the data center guys seem to be all over EoMPLS these days. I keep reading about MPLS in the enterprise as the next big thing in networking. I imagine most everyone will be using MPLS in some form or fashion eventually...it's such a versatile technology and I could definitely see big enterprises using it to satisfy IPv6 migration requirements since you can just throw it into a vrf and/or bgp address family and then transport it over a v4 MPLS core.

It's one of my favorite network technologies...
    Cisco was my first networking love, but my "other" router is a Mikrotik...
  • APAAPA Member Posts: 959

Yeah there are always exceptions...... Hence my comment regarding large enough... but I guess I should have added 'if their topology\architecture\plan' requires it.....

CCNA | CCNA:Security | CCNP | CCIP
    JNCIA:JUNOS | JNCIA:EX | JNCIS:ENT | JNCIS:SEC
    JNCIS:SP | JNCIP:SP