Switch & Tshoot passed.

bermovickbermovick Member Posts: 1,135 ■■■■□□□□□□
So I passed switch back on the 1st. I didn't feel I was entirely ready (but do we ever?). Scored an 868 which wasn't too shabby. Had to completely forget the 10-minute sim rule on one that took me around 30 minutes before I decided I'd done all I was going to be able to do.

Passed Tshoot today with a 917. Was fairly easy. The last 2 tickets threw me off - in fact I aborted the 2nd to last one, then totally went in the wrong direction on the last one. I didn't realize that the trouble/fix I chose didn't even make any sense until it was too late (I had clicked 'done'). Oh well, I can't complain about a 917.

Not sure what's next on my plate. I see 4 possibilities - picking up the Design (CCDP) is only 2 exams. I've heard with them being mostly theory they're a bit dry/boring, so while I could see the usefulness, I'm not sure I could stick with it. I could start on the CCNP Security (since I have the CCNA Security). The exams look interesting, but I'm not too sure how much use I'd get out of a vendor-specific security cert of that level. I could jump on the CCIE bandwagon, and am giving it serious thought, or I could focus on the 3 areas covered by the CCIP - each of those looks interesting, and the time spent there applies some towards the IE anyway.

Saturday and Sunday night - time for drunken_smilie.gif
Latest Completed: CISSP

Current goal: Dunno

Comments

• RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'd say do the CCIE, but man. After calculating the cost of doing a CCIE.. I'll have a tough time getting to that level without company help.

It doesn't mean you can't study for it though ;)

Yeah, I heard the same about the Design Track. Theory. As much as I enjoy "Theory", which isn't much... It goes hand in hand. You only need 2 exams to get to CCDP, and each exam you pass, you get a nice certification :)
    DESGN for CCDA, ARCH for CCDP.

...I've spent 11 hours looking the tracks -_-...
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• kmcintosh78kmcintosh78 Member Posts: 195
    AS highly touted the CCIE is, for me, it is to much theory.
    Kind of like going from a Tech role, to a Manager role, in my eyes at least.
    Personally, I say go the CCDP route.
    With that under your belt, you could start doing side contract jobs, designing networks for companies.
    Figure, spend about 3 weeks, put together 8 basic Network templates, and you are set.

I know many of network people that do this and have a 9-5 job.

Congrats on the pass.

I am about half way through my studies for CCNP route, which for me will be the hardest, since I deal with Switches and ASA all day.
    What I am working on
    CCNP Route (Currently) 80% done
    CCNP Switch (Next Year)
    CCNP TShoot (Next Year)
  • Cat5Cat5 Member Posts: 297 ■■■□□□□□□□
    AS highly touted the CCIE is, for me, it is to much theory.
    Kind of like going from a Tech role, to a Manager role, in my eyes at least.

I agree. And IEs are usually perpetually on-call. Also, if you're an IE, the buck stops with you; you have to solve the issue - there's no one to hand it off to. Of course, I'm generalizing, but you know what I mean. I'm not sure I want to live with a beeper (haha!) on my waist the rest of my working life.
  • kmcintosh78kmcintosh78 Member Posts: 195
    Oh, don't think that they don't talk to other CCIEs about issues.
    My lead is a CCIE, and he always talks with a couple other guys, and they help each other.
    But, I agree with the idea that a CCIE is one that is the top techie, end all be all.

It is a great goal to achieve, but just not for me.

Once I get the generic CCNP, I will be looking for some attachment CCNP, and maybe look to learn some Java programming.
    I like to stay well rounded.
    What I am working on
    CCNP Route (Currently) 80% done
    CCNP Switch (Next Year)
    CCNP TShoot (Next Year)
  • SharkDiverSharkDiver Member Posts: 844
    After finishing the CCNP last year, I decided I was going to go back and pick up the CCDA. I started reading the book and really was so bored with the material that, for the first time ever, I stopped reading.

After a month of not wanting to read any more, I got the MPLS book and started a path toward the CCIP. Much better material. So I guess it's MPLS, BGP and QoS for me.
  • vinbuckvinbuck Member Posts: 785 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I keep hearing horrible things about the Design track...is it really that bad? I'm planning on tackling the CCIP next anyway.
    Cisco was my first networking love, but my "other" router is a Mikrotik...
  • bermovickbermovick Member Posts: 1,135 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I think with it just being theory, you end up having to memorize a bunch of dry facts (PPDIOO, etc I expect). Not really my cup of tea at this time.
    Latest Completed: CISSP

Current goal: Dunno