Start my new Job Today...

ThackerThacker Member Posts: 170
A little about myself. I recently turned 19 and hadn't had any luck breaking into anything to do with the I.T field for a while now. I started pursuing certs 2-3 months back, and ofcourse went after my A+ first. After completing the hardware portion of my A+ exam I had a make shift resume up on monster. Mind you I had never done anything in the I.T field for a company.. just really experienced with computers via friends and family. I recieved a call a week ago for a company that does tech support for IBM laptops and the like... went to the interview and had the job within 2 hours. Pay is good / decent.. full benefits, 401k the works.. and I am guranteed full time. It's been great. They will pay to reimburse me on any certifictation I chose to pursue. I am also to go through an 8 week training course "valued at over 2500$" with a IBM trainer over the various laptop models and repair procedures.

I am very proud because I feel in the future this will look 10x better on a resume than doing service repair work for Best buy... or any of the other retail stores. I might be wrong I just feel that from any employers standpoint it would look more impressive on a resume.

So what I am saying is... if you are having trouble getting started... don't give up. At the right moment something will break for you and I hope you can be as lucky as I feel at the moment.

Thanks for all your help techexams.net,
Thacker

Comments

• AlienAlien Member Posts: 398
    Congratulations dude! icon_thumright.gif
    Hard times on planet earth.
  • spudnikspudnik Member Posts: 232 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats sounds a pretty decent Job (Lucky Git icon_wink.gif )
  • jescabjescab Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,321
    Sounds like you had an early Christmas. CONGRATZ
    GO STEELERS GO - STEELERS RULE
  • janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    Congrats. Good luck!
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki
  • princess4peaceprincess4peace Member Posts: 286
    Congrat on the nw job
    Knowledge is life
  • frankj1247frankj1247 Member Posts: 111
    Congratz...will definitely look better on the resume, the name IBM brings respect.

I hope to follow suit very soon with an IT job, I'm working and studying for one more cert than I'll go hunting again.
  • stndrd_123stndrd_123 Member Posts: 113
    I might be wrong I just feel that from any employers standpoint it would look more impressive on a resume.

I'm hoping for the same thing as well, I justed started a year long contract with IBM as desktop support tech. Congratulations to you and good luck!
  • TURTLEGIRLTURTLEGIRL Member Posts: 361
    :D Absolutely excellent news, well done! Having better luck than me. :D:D
    If you don't know 24 then you don't know Jack!
  • matts5074matts5074 Member Posts: 148
    Congrats. IBM is indeed a well respected name. At 19, you have an awesome start!
  • TshockerTshocker Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congratz!

I was in the same boat but I was 17. Short story. Grandmas neighbor used to work with a guy that started a small IT firm. Word got out that I knew HTML and they hired me for 13.50/hr. Big change for 17 year old. Since then I learned VB, ASP and much more. Time went on till about 1 year ago and the business broke up. I was out of a job. Now 25, I was scared since I didn't have a degree, just 7 years of experiance. Posted on Monster and boom. Had more calls than I thought I would get, alot more. They looked past the no degree and hired me at 74K a year.

I still want to get back to school but I want to grab a few certs before hand.
    Experiance at IBM will look very good later on. Great job!
  • skully93skully93 Member Posts: 323 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thacker wrote:
    A little about myself. I recently turned 19 and hadn't had any luck breaking into anything to do with the I.T field for a while now. ,
    Thacker

When you're 19, that's never a 'while'. It gets easier when you get into your mid 20's, because you have some exp and people know that you'll show up for work instead of living in your parent's basement icon_cool.gif .

Seriously though, great job! It might be a bit tougher of a job, but I bet it will look great on a resume compared to the now down'trodden 'geek squad'.

Best of luck!
    I do not have a psychiatrist and I do not want one, for the simple reason that if he listened to me long enough, he might become disturbed.

-- James Thurber
  • ThackerThacker Member Posts: 170
    skully93 wrote:
    Thacker wrote:
    A little about myself. I recently turned 19 and hadn't had any luck breaking into anything to do with the I.T field for a while now. ,
    Thacker

When you're 19, that's never a 'while'. It gets easier when you get into your mid 20's, because you have some exp and people know that you'll show up for work instead of living in your parent's basement icon_cool.gif .

Seriously though, great job! It might be a bit tougher of a job, but I bet it will look great on a resume compared to the now down'trodden 'geek squad'.

Best of luck!

As I said.. the pay isn't great. Not even truly good... for my age yes and location yes. Right around the 11.50 range when I am done with training. However it is a year before I turn 20... and the training is invaluable.. and the experience also. Learning a ton about IBM laptops and I am posting from my class now. We get our own cubicles... can do whatever on our PC's in our free time, and face all sorts of problems.

Third day on the job and I love it.

Brandon
  • TrailerisfTrailerisf Member Posts: 455
    Don't sweat the money. Fact is that you are a young kid with no experience to a company.

You sold yourself. That skill can't be taught or learned. You'll go far.
    On the road to Cisco. Will I hunt it, or will it hunt me?
  • EverythingPCownerEverythingPCowner Member Posts: 57 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats!
    Alabama or Bust!