GNS3 not working at all

dstars30dstars30 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Guy,

Ok I am in a bind and I have run out of ideas. I have my test next Saturday and I Want to work on some labs, but have run into issues with GNS3. No matter how I try to open a console all I get to is "Press enter to get the Prompt."

I have tried on Windows 7 64 bit and also Ubuntu 64 bit virtual and fresh install, also Ubuntu 64 bit on physical.
I have tried both compressed and uncompressed images.
I have tried 1700, 2600, 3600 images all with the same results, and multiple versions of those.

When ever I try to run an Idlepc on any router I get the same result every time - 0xffffffffc0000000 [1000]

Nothing I am doing is making any difference I still get just get stuck and the prompt, I can never get in.

Does anyone have idea what is going on and what I can do to fix this, again my test is this comming Sat.

Thanks

Bob

Comments

• hodgey87hodgey87 Member Posts: 232
    The image ive been using is: c3745-adventerprisek9-mz.124-15.T11 had no problems at all with that. If you do happen to get the SDM working let know, its such a pain.

Should be simply a case of installing GNS3, uploading your IOS.
  • TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    dstars30 wrote: »
    Guy,

Ok I am in a bind and I have run out of ideas. I have my test next Saturday and I Want to work on some labs, but have run into issues with GNS3. No matter how I try to open a console all I get to is "Press enter to get the Prompt."

I have tried on Windows 7 64 bit and also Ubuntu 64 bit virtual and fresh install, also Ubuntu 64 bit on physical.
    I have tried 1700, 2600, 3600 images all with the same results, and multiple versions of those.

When ever I try to run an Idlepc on any router I get the same result every time - 0xffffffffc0000000 [1000]

Nothing I am doing is making any difference I still get just get stuck and the prompt, I can never get in.

Does anyone have idea what is going on and what I can do to fix this, again my test is this comming Sat.

Thanks

Bob

Maybe try what the previous poster recommended. Either way you should get help on here as GNS is popular these days, although personally I would rather have the agony of getting real gear playing nicely than emulators as what you learn is transferable to solving field issues. I hope you get this sorted out as it's a bind for you with a test looming.
  • dstars30dstars30 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Ok well this is where I am at....

I downgraded GNS3 from 0.8.2-BETA2 to 0.7.4-win32-all-in-one.

Using the same image as I did in 0.8.2, it now works fine. I think it might be an issue with Qemu and the windows firewall. Since I do not really have time this week to play with it, I will as soon as my test is over.

When I ran Idlepc on ver 7.4 it ran much better and gave me a real # this time as well, now it is running 0x604bd818

Generally I do use physical equipment, but I seem to be having a power issue with one of my routers. I have 3-2950, 2-3548, 2-3550, 3-2610XM, 1-1700, 3-3600, 1-850 and 1 ASA5505. I keep popping my circuit though when I turn on more then 3 items. So for the sake of not burning equipment I was going to use GNS3 for little things where I can do quick hits and just reload settings quicker. Fall back was run some extension cords to distribute the router load for this week.

Hopefully now I can get down to business...
  • bermovickbermovick Member Posts: 1,135 ■■■■□□□□□□
    hodgey87 wrote: »
    The image ive been using is: c3745-adventerprisek9-mz.124-15.T11 had no problems at all with that. If you do happen to get the SDM working let know, its such a pain.

Should be simply a case of installing GNS3, uploading your IOS.

SDM's issue is usually needing an older version of java (6u6 is what I used), followed by browser problems sometimes caused by being incompatible with older versions of java. Current versions of firefox, for example, require newer versions of java. I had to fall back to using IE when working with SDM, followed by showers immediately after.

Why do I need Java 6 Update 10 and above for Firefox 3.6 and later versions?

I wonder if 6u10 would work with sdm and still let one use firefox...
    Latest Completed: CISSP

Current goal: Dunno
  • thedramathedrama Member Posts: 291 ■□□□□□□□□□
    dstars30 wrote: »
    Guy,

Thanks

Bob

hey, it was my most huge problem two or three days. i almost had installed every version of java runtime environment. Along with browsers from newer versions to olders. i executed it successfully with java 6 update 6 and IE 8. In my opinion, do not use Firefox cos it causes java plugin problems with annoying popups.

Hope it helps. icon_wink.gif
    Monster PC specs(Packard Bell VR46) : Intel Celeron Dual-Core 1.2 GHz CPU , 4096 MB DDR3 RAM, Intel Media Graphics (R) 4 Family with IntelGMA 4500 M HD graphics. :lol:

5 year-old laptop PC specs(Toshiba Satellite A210) : AMD Athlon 64 x2 1.9 GHz CPU, ATI Radeon X1200 128 MB Video Memory graphics card, 3072 MB 667 Mhz DDR2 RAM. (1 stick 2 gigabytes and 1 stick 1 gigabytes)

• telmoespinotelmoespino Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I recalculate the idle pc in each router and its ok.