Linux+ Can my expectations be met?

RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
I tried searching, but wasn't able to find this type of question:

I have very little to nil experience with Linux. I'm hoping that Linux+ will be the way to get experience, and atleast have a "Guide" to show me around.

I've always been interested with Linux, but never really had a place to call my own.

I'm not interested in the certification. But more so just the experience of learning. If I decide to go for it, sometime down the road, I'll study for the exam - but it's not the top of the list.
In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

Comments

• TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You could study for it. Main thing with Linux/Unix is to get a distro and hardware and start working with it hands on. It's just no good being certified in this stuff without the hours at the command line. Say a couple of hundred at least.
  • afcyungafcyung Member Posts: 212
    Turgon wrote: »
    You could study for it. Main thing with Linux/Unix is to get a distro and hardware and start working with it hands on. It's just no good being certified in this stuff without the hours at the command line. Say a couple of hundred at least.

Turgon,

Would you have book you recommend for learning Unix? When I was in technical training for the military we had a whole course on unix but that was 5 years ago. And I was hoping to get back into it.
  • TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You are too hung up on books. Buy a netra off ebay for a few dollars, google how to connect to it and reset the root password and then try and get the thing on your network. Practice how to edit files on a UNIX box. That's how it begins.
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Turgon wrote: »

Agreed

Repetition is the key with CLI. That's how I got my Unix knowledge on the HP and IBM midranges. I have a 5 page handout and a lot of practice lol
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    My experience when studying for the Linux+ cert was that it gave me a well-rounded introduction to all things Linux (and a bit of Unix,) which was very helpful since I hadn't really done much work at all with anything outside the world of Microsoft and various networking technologies up to that point. Of course, now that CompTIA teamed up with LPI to create a new Linux+/LPIC-1 cert, you're going to find that you'll get even more out of studying for the two exams than I did for my one.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • bud08bud08 Member Posts: 58 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Slowhand wrote: »
    My experience when studying for the Linux+ cert was that it gave me a well-rounded introduction to all things Linux (and a bit of Unix,) which was very helpful since I hadn't really done much work at all with anything outside the world of Microsoft and various networking technologies up to that point. Of course, now that CompTIA teamed up with LPI to create a new Linux+/LPIC-1 cert, you're going to find that you'll get even more out of studying for the two exams than I did for my one.

This is exactly why I have an interest in this certification. I am fixated on Linux/Unix and want to dive into head first, but of course there is the path I am on now and neither of my jobs require Linux/Unix usage so it's tough to take the time to learn and justify it.
  • megatran808megatran808 Member Posts: 53 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The beauty about Linux is that it can run on pretty much any PC you have. Only way to learn is to just load it up on your computer open up the terminal and go through the different commands. You don't have to spend an arm and leg to understand the operating system.

I would use the exam objectives for the Linux+ and RHCSA. I like the RHCSA objectives. I think it will give you a base guideline to follow.

Linux+ Objectives
    http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=comptia+linux%2B+exam+objective&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CE4QFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.comptia.org%2Fglobal%2FLibraries%2FDE-Docs%2FCompTIA_Linux_Powered_by_LPI_LX0_101.sflb.ashx&ei=JVVFT4CpN6WuiQK1zeyjDg&usg=AFQjCNFuWq_G4apcxHlbQ7n9E2BPEirP7A

RHCSA
    Red Hat | Training | Exam objectives

Go through each bullet and perform it and try to understand it on your Linux machine.
    "Love your Job, but never fall in love with your company....because you never know when your company stops loving you!"
  • YuckTheFankeesYuckTheFankees Member Posts: 1,281 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I would definitely recommend Linux+ if you want to learn more about Linux. If you have an urge to go further in depth after the Linux+, I would definitely recommend the Red Hat certs. I've really enjoyed studying for the RHCSA and RHCE.
  • techinthewoodstechinthewoods Member Posts: 96 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Do you already have your linux+ cert? The current plan I am toying with is getting Linux+ and then moving on to some redhat certs.
    I passed the Linux+ exam in January. I've been slacking a little bit on the red hat certs but I'll kick it into gear in March and take both exams in late April. I get to take the system admin III class for the RHCE, I can't wait for that.
    Very nice. Did you already take system admin I and II? What flavor of Linux are you labbing on? I'm thinking of going with CentOS on a virtual box. Any suggestions on study materials for the Linux+?
    I was going to take the sys admin I and II but I decided to self study for the RHCSA and save the money. I'll probably use that money for a computer forensic or pentesting cert later in the year.

I bought a 1 year student subscription of RHEL 6 for $80 and that's running on my 2nd laptop. I also have backtrack 5 R1, fedora 15, and CentOS running on VMware.

For the Linux+ I used the training video's from TrainSignal - Computer Training Videos - Microsoft, VMware, Cisco, CompTIA & more!, and this book Amazon.com: LPIC-1/CompTIA Linux+ Certification All-in-One Exam Guide (Exams LPIC-1/LX0-101 & LX0-102) (9780071771573): Robb Tracy: Books . Honestly you can do it with just the book and google. The video's were just a bonus, it helps a lot by watching a teacher type out the commands and explain what exactly they are doing.

The method I have been using for the last two certifications (which has worked well) is not to follow what the book teaches you but follow the objectives are.
    Thanks so much for the info, that is a really big help!
  • ronni_linuxronni_linux Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I passed the Linux+ exam in January. I've been slacking a little bit on the red hat certs but I'll kick it into gear in March and take both exams in late April. I get to take the system admin III class for the RHCE, I can't wait for that.

That's my objective as well..Passed Linux+ first exam last week and getting ready for second one and will get ready for Red Hat exams..good luck
    Pretty much the same for me. Prepping for linux+ now, hope to knock it out within the next month. Then on to RHCSA i think.
    yeah, let's keep in touch...good luck :)
    I have already the book for RHCSA and i can shoot you if u want....it's self-preparing book for both RHCSA and RHCE
    Pretty much the same for me. Prepping for linux+ now, hope to knock it out within the next month. Then on to RHCSA i think.

I have already the book for RHCSA and i can shoot you if u want....it's self-preparing book for both RHCSA and RHCE
    You have it in PDF or something similar you mean?
    You have it in PDF or something similar you mean?

yes exactly :)
  • JeanMJeanM Member Posts: 1,117
    If you have a spare box, get a linux distro (fedora, suse, ubuntu, mint, centos and many many more are available). I learned a lot back in freeBSD and Linux, where most everything you had to configure from the command line VS the distro booting from a CD / thumbdrive and have it autodetect most everything for you. What fun is that? :)

Anyways, you can get a distro on a cd an boot it and play with it w/o even installing it on your hdd.

O'Reilly books are good for linux as well :) Something like Running Linux will get you started in the right direction imho.
    2015 goals - ccna voice / vmware vcp.
  • zipolinizipolini Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Linux Classes

it's great linux training site :)
  • NOLAJNOLAJ Member Posts: 490
    zipolini wrote: »
    Linux Classes

it's great linux training site :)
    Awesome site!!
    WGU - MBA: I.T. Management --> Graduated!!

WGU -
    B.S. Information Technology—Network Administration --> Graduated!!

:thumbup: