imagine this...

rossonieri#1rossonieri#1 Member Posts: 799 ■■■□□□□□□□
i've been testing new OSes, and here are what i've found :
using HP Proliant ML150 G2 with 2-Xeon 3.0G
solaris 10 ->use 7GB+ full install -> about 2,5 hours
fedora core 4 -> use almost 3GB full install -> about 1,5 hours
and compare to these :
win2k3 server -> less then 2GB full install-> about 1 hour
and the most famous mini OS -> KNOPPIX use about 700MB... less then 15 minutes : )

and i'm start to think to get a break installing OS : )

what do you think guys?
the More I know, that is more and More I dont know.

Comments

• Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Are you testing this for your own research? Or are you writing a paper and doing the research to show your findings?
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    milliampmilliamp Member Posts: 135
    Ubuntu will be a little under 2G and I am willing to bet it takes less than an hour, but I have never timed it. I wouldn't use it as a server without locking it down though.
  • Options
    entzillaentzilla Member Posts: 141
    Install Windows SBS.

Talk about a long install. icon_rolleyes.gif
    CompTIA A+ Certified - July 5th, 2005
  • Options
    rossonieri#1rossonieri#1 Member Posts: 799 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Plantwiz wrote:
    Are you testing this for your own research? Or are you writing a paper and doing the research to show your findings?

yup, do the lab thing before i hit the road. testing new things - compare them - and make suggestions to clients before implementing - so at least i know what and how they are (OSes) before i meet my clients. icon_cool.gif
    the More I know, that is more and More I dont know.
  • Options
    seuss_ssuesseuss_ssues Member Posts: 629
    Im not sure i understand how doing what you have done has benefited you. The only thing that i could think of is that you are trying to determine how long it will take for you to install X number of machines. But even then doing install scripts that automate the process would be more beneficial.

Also why the full installs? That opens so many many many many problems especially when it comes to secuirty.