Options

A Microsoft course for a newb?

MrXpertMrXpert Member Posts: 586 ■■■□□□□□□□
I'm contemplating looking at doing a Microsoft course as it seems if I am to get a job in 1st Line support, knowing about windows server,Active directory would be a big plus.

Can anyone suggest a nice entry Microsoft course for me that will get me familiar with these things? one which I can practice at home and any suggestions on training material please?
I'm an Xpert at nothing apart from remembering useless information that nobody else cares about.

Comments

• Options
    jdancerjdancer Member Posts: 482 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Microsoft's entry-level certifications are called Microsoft Technology Associates. Once you pass one of the MTA exams, you automatically become a Microsoft Certified Professional as well. I took the Server 2008 MTA exam. It was a comprehensive exam. Certiport.com is the testing center for Microsoft MTA exams. I'm sure there is a testing center where you live at.

More info at Microsoft Technology Associate Certification l MTA Exams l Entry-Level Developer Exams
  • Options
    MrXpertMrXpert Member Posts: 586 ■■■□□□□□□□
    jdancer wrote: »
    Microsoft's entry-level certifications are called Microsoft Technology Associates. Once you pass one of the MTA exams, you automatically become a Microsoft Certified Professional as well. I took the Server 2008 MTA exam. It was a comprehensive exam. Certiport.com is the testing center for Microsoft MTA exams. I'm sure there is a testing center where you live at.

More info at Microsoft Technology Associate Certification l MTA Exams l Entry-Level Developer Exams

Sorry I should have clarified. I don't want to enroll in an actual college as the MTA has that requirement.

I did see on the Microsoft website that there is a Server 2008 Active Directory exam called 70-640.Anyone out there done this specific one? and tips ? pointers? insight?
    I'm an Xpert at nothing apart from remembering useless information that nobody else cares about.
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    You said "course" which is more or less synonymous with "class". If you are looking to self-study and pass a certification, 70-640 is a good starting point. The MCTS exams are not easy if you have no relevant experience, but they're certainly not impossible, either.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    daviddwsdaviddws Member Posts: 303 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You could also study for the MCTS 70-680 (Microsoft Windows 7 Configuration). This is the one I am currently studying and it gives you a basic overview of the OS. Also a requirement for the MCITP Enterprise if you decide to go that route.
  • Options
    NOLAJNOLAJ Member Posts: 490
    daviddws wrote: »
    You could also study for the MCTS 70-680 (Microsoft Windows 7 Configuration). This is the one I am currently studying and it gives you a basic overview of the OS. Also a requirement for the MCITP Enterprise if you decide to go that route.

If you don't have any working experience with servers etc, I would suggest the server + from CompTIA before you jump into the 70-640. The MCTS exams are by no means "easy." Working knowledge goes a LONG way on Microsoft exams.

Best of luck to you!!!
    WGU - MBA: I.T. Management --> Graduated!!

WGU -
    B.S. Information Technology—Network Administration --> Graduated!!

:thumbup:
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You could just self-study for one of the MTA's. Seeing you have Net+ and A+, you could do the Networking Fundamentals course.

Microsoft Technology Associate Certification l MTA Exams l Entry-Level Developer Exams