Options

MCITP: SA or Server+?

TheCudderTheCudder Member Posts: 147 ■■■□□□□□□□
No I'm not thinking that Server+ is any where near the level of an MCITP icon_lol.gif. But with 3 tests to study for and some rather info packed press books (and maybe more) to get through, I'm wondering if I should consider doing Server+, just to get on the resume and kind of help make it clear that I want to move in Server support. I'm currently working Desktop Support (4 yrs) and have just over a year of Help Desk experience before that. Any ways, I think I could study & pass Server+ in about a month, while I'm thinking it will be a minimum of 3 months (possibly longer) before I'm ready for 70-640?
B.S. Information Technology Management | CompTIA A+ | CompTIA Security+ | Graduate Certificate in Information Assurance (In Progress)

Comments

• Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I think Server+ would be valuable to aid in your general knowledge of servers if it is lacking. It will not substantially increase your market value, not does it particularly make you any more qualified to work on servers than you already are. Additionally, if you only have A+ as your profile indicates, you would do better to study Net+. It has more value and recognition than Server+ and its material provides a more relevant foundation to the MCITP:SA exams and to actual sever administration jobs.

If you have no existing professional server experience, IMO your path should be whatever takes you to MCITP:SA the quickest. At the end of the day, MCITP:SA is likely to get your a new job or promotion and will be more applicable to the actual functions of that job.

If you are not interested in getting into a server-centric job ASAP, then I see no problem with taking a longer path and potentially getting Network+ and Server+ before starting into the Microsoft path. Just keep in mind that you might spend $200-$350 on each test (between materials and actually taking the tests) with the potential for never seeing RoI.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    The server+ is not worth it. Skip that and start on the certs that will make a difference in your career. (as long as you know the material)
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I'd only do the Server+ if your employer required it, which isn't too likely. At $253 it's expensive. you can do 2 MS exams for $300.

You'll also learn more by doing the MS exams, too.
  • Options
    Amir21Amir21 Registered Users Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'd defintely go for the Microsoft Certs, either SA or EA track.
  • Options
    KrunchiKrunchi Member Posts: 237
    TheCudder wrote: »
    I'm wondering if I should consider doing Server+, just to get on the resume and kind of help make it clear that I want to move in Server support.

Just to clarify you say you want to do server support are talking about Hardware and OS support for Administrator's of companies or are you talking about doing user support on servers like setting up backups, groups, users, e-mail accounts etc?

I work in Enterprise Server support doing Hardware and OS support for one of the big server/computer mfg the pay is good and the benefits are outstanding. If your looking to get in this line of work minimum certs you need to get are CCNA or something like A+ Net+ and the Win7 MCITP 785/786 and show them that you are actively pursuing getting certs they pay for all your certs and give you access to tons of study material.

They may give you a look if you had A+ Net+ and Server+ but you would be limited to Basic position due to a lack of NOS or CCNA knowledge but if you tossed in cert like Linux+/LPIC1 with the other Comptia certs you could land a job pretty easy.
    Certifications: A+,Net+,MCTS-620,640,642,643,659,MCITP-622,623,646,647,MCSE-246
  • Options
    PiersPiers Member Posts: 454 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Agree with above statements, server+ isn't really worth the cost, especially now that it's not a lifetime cert. For my job requirements, we had to have A+ and Net+, and when I was done that, I went a little further with Server+ before starting in on the MCITP:SA. Looking back, I don't think I would do it again if a) work didn't pay for it, and b) it was going to expire in a few years.
    :study: Office 365 70-347 / 698 later
  • Options
    TheCudderTheCudder Member Posts: 147 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the advice guys. Guess I'm going to ignore it, I've noticed not a single job posting even asks for Server + for a required or preferred cert.
    Piers wrote: »
    Agree with above statements, server+ isn't really worth the cost, especially now that it's not a lifetime cert. For my job requirements, we had to have A+ and Net+, and when I was done that, I went a little further with Server+ before starting in on the MCITP:SA. Looking back, I don't think I would do it again if a) work didn't pay for it, and b) it was going to expire in a few years.

If I'm not mistaking only A+/Network+/Security+ expires every 3 years.
    B.S. Information Technology Management | CompTIA A+ | CompTIA Security+ | Graduate Certificate in Information Assurance (In Progress)
  • Options
    LaminiLamini Member Posts: 242 ■■■□□□□□□□
    TheCudder wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice guys. Guess I'm going to ignore it, I've noticed not a single job posting even asks for Server + for a required or preferred cert.

If I'm not mistaking only A+/Network+/Security+ expires every 3 years.

Not if you are doing the continuing education program (CompTIA Continuing Education Program). Its that or take the exam every 3 yrs, the CE program seems easier.
    CompTIA: A+ / NET+ / SEC+
    Microsoft: MCSA 2003