Passed Switch

reloadedreloaded Member Posts: 235
So I failed Switch by a pretty large margin back in December. But then I figured, might as well get back on the saddle and studied on and off over the next couple months. Today I conquered Switch by a pretty decent margin and it didn't even seem that hard (maybe because I studied my tail off the last couple weeks?!).

Materials used:
OCG
FLG
CBT Nuggets

I'd say I had a pretty distributed topic list, so know it all lol. I didn't feel like buying a lab to practice, so I did the limited Layer-3 stuff on GNS3 and did show commands on the production network at work.

On to Route!
Reloaded~4~Ever

Comments

• Jason0352Jason0352 Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the Pass! With your materials used, what does "OCG" and "FLG" stand for? thanks
  • mattaumattau Member Posts: 218
    fantastic effort if you didnt even have a lab at home - wow

ocg - official certification guide
    flg - foundation learning guide

• SharkDiverSharkDiver Member Posts: 844
    Great job. Congratulations!
    Switch was the hardest of the three for me and alot of other people.
    Good luck on ROUTE!
  • MrBrianMrBrian Member Posts: 520
    Congrats on SWITCH! And good luck on ROUTE! I'm testing on that one soon and then it's on to switch.. route is a fun one I really liked it.
    Currently reading: Internet Routing Architectures by Halabi
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Congrats!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • waragiwaragi Member Posts: 72 ■■□□□□□□□□
    any ideas between the 1st and second attempt what was the difference interms of preparation, not enough theory or too little practical?.
  • ITtech2010ITtech2010 Member Posts: 92 ■■■□□□□□□□
    waragi wrote: »
    any ideas between the 1st and second attempt what was the difference interms of preparation, not enough theory or too little practical?.

Good question!

This is great that you used the show commands on a production network. That's what i've been doing over the last few days. Thank god we're almost set with our lab. We have 3 3560 switches.
  • ASUSTeKASUSTeK Member Posts: 148
    Congrats!
    The Begining Of Wisdom Is "I Don't Know".
  • ddcengineerddcengineer Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations!
    Achievements: CCNA Nov 2011 | CCNP Route Jan 2012 | Switch June 2012 | TSHOOT July 2012 CCNP | CCNA Voice Oct
    Projected Timeline: CCNP Voice CVoice Oct | CIPT1 Nov | CIPT2 Dec | TVoice Jan | CApps Feb :cheers:
  • ShanmanShanman Member Posts: 223
  • reloadedreloaded Member Posts: 235
    waragi wrote: »

Well, that's a tough question because it was a little of both. The first time I went in, I felt pretty comfortable with the material. But when I got into the test, it was a bit more detail-oriented than I expected. I was pretty disappointed when I failed the first time, but then I went back and really hit the nitty-gritty details of whatever feature I was looking at. So not only did I refresh about how it worked (theory), I focused on the small configurations that can radically change the operation of the feature (practical).

Doing the show commands on my customer's various production networks also helped me to solidify the various commands in my head. During my study, I found out GNS3 wasn't very helpful in doing Layer-2, while I didn't feel like dishing out cash for Layer-3 capable switches. So most of my studies regarding configuration were through show commands or me typing stuff out in notepad.
    Reloaded~4~Ever