Options

What did you use for 70-680?

MrXpertMrXpert Member Posts: 586 ■■■□□□□□□□
I kinda know what books to get on this after reading some helpful posts but what's the recommended method of practicing for this exam? i.e. will it be OK to install win 7 ultimate on something like Oracle vitualbox? or is it best to have a proper dedicated PC instead of running it as a guest OS?
Will i also need server 2008?
Sorry if this has been asked before. I couldn't find much about this.
I'm an Xpert at nothing apart from remembering useless information that nobody else cares about.

Comments

• Options
    kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Running the OS in a vm is perfect for this type of studying. Just make sure to take snapshots of the computer before any changes so you can always revert back to it. You dont technically need server08 running for any of this but it wouldn't hurt to set it up. I setup server08 and then setup wds so that I knew how it all worked. Its up to you though. You can get trial editions for both.
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I would set up a lab with Server 2008 R2. The 680 references a lot of server material, so it helps to get some practice with it. Don Poulton's book is good for this. Darril Gibson's book for the 685/686 is also good, especially the 686 portions.

I've been using Virtual Box for a while now and it's pretty solid for labbing.
  • Options
    Psoasman wrote: »
    I would set up a lab with Server 2008 R2. The 680 references a lot of server material, so it helps to get some practice with it. Don Poulton's book is good for this. Darril Gibson's book for the 685/686 is also good, especially the 686 portions.

I've been using Virtual Box for a while now and it's pretty solid for labbing.

Can I run both the server 2008 R2 and Win 7 on the same PC as virtual OSs? what i mean is, would they still be able to interact with each other? as in making the win 7 client part of its domain or whatever its called in MS world
    sorry if my question sounds kinda ignorant.
    I'm an Xpert at nothing apart from remembering useless information that nobody else cares about.
  • Options
    ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Way I do it Server 2k8 r2 as main O/S then run hyper V and have windows 7 enterprise running
    Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    MrXpert wrote: »
    Can I run both the server 2008 R2 and Win 7 on the same PC as virtual OSs? what i mean is, would they still be able to interact with each other? as in making the win 7 client part of its domain or whatever its called in MS world
    sorry if my question sounds kinda ignorant.

Yes, you can. Install virtual box ( or whatever else you have ) make sure you have enough RAM for the machines. 1 GB will work for the DC and 512 MB for clients. I set the NICs to internal network, as I do most of my labbing at work.

Load a DC and a client. The book will have walkthroughs as to how to do this, it's good practice.

ally_uk's methods works great, too.
  • Options
    Psoasman wrote: »
    Yes, you can. Install virtual box ( or whatever else you have ) make sure you have enough RAM for the machines. 1 GB will work for the DC and 512 MB for clients. I set the NICs to internal network, as I do most of my labbing at work.

Load a DC and a client. The book will have walkthroughs as to how to do this, it's good practice.

ally_uk's methods works great, too.

Thanks, I must get hold of Darrill Gibson's book. His sec+ was excellent so i'm sure this will be too.#
    How long does it take for someone to study+take exam for the mcts win 7? i mean on average...a ball park figure?
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    If your host PC has at least two physical cores (Core 2 Duo or better) and 3GB of RAM or more, you'd be fine to run one copy or R2 and one copy of 7 in VirtualBox and use those as your lab.

As far as studying, the MS Press book and possibly Technet are really the only needed study materials. Depending on your experience and how well you take to the material, you are looking at an absolute minimum of 20 hours to a maximum of around 80 hours to to study for and pass 70-680.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340