Options

Best Destro to use for LPI/Comptia Linux Certification

mgmguy1mgmguy1 Member Posts: 485 ■■■■□□□□□□
Hello all,
I have Fedora 16 duel booted on my Laptop and I want to start to train for the LPI Certitication but I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for me to help me pass the test ? Is Fedora a good destro to use or should I pick out someting like Gentoo or Ubuntu ?

I going to be getting this book CompTIA Linux+ Complete Study Guide: Exams LX0-101 and LX0-102
I have the Fedora 2011 Fedora Bible. and I am starting to explore some of the videos on you tube.
In addition, I may buy a Linux CBT on E-bay

I am currently in School to get my CCNA and plan to sit for that test in July and when that is done I want to start on my Linux Certification.
I have been told by a few prospective Employers that they would "seriously" consider me for a position if I have some Linux Skills.
I really want to get away from the Help Desk role and move towards a Junior Network Admin role.

Any tips or advise is welcome.
Patrick
"A lot of fellows nowadays have a B.A., M.D., or Ph.D. Unfortunately, they don't have a J.O.B."

Fats Domino

Comments

• Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Fedora is fine, you could also go for something like CentOS or the actual Red Hat Enterprise Linux (if you can get it) for a RPM-focused distro to practice with. As for anything else, you're basically looking at getting familiar with something based on Red Hat and something based on Debian; when dealing with Debian-based distros, such as Ubuntu, you're actually much better of working with Debian itself. It's not a bad idea to grab yourself a distro known for primarily using compiled-code, such as Slackware, as well.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    jarebhjarebh Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I studied primarily with RHEL 6 and CentOS myself. Red Hat at school and CentOS on my laptop. I didn't really come across too many Debian specific questions on my exams either. I think Fedora will probably be fine.
  • Options
    techinthewoodstechinthewoods Member Posts: 96 ■■□□□□□□□□
    jarebh wrote: »
    I studied primarily with RHEL 6 and CentOS myself. Red Hat at school and CentOS on my laptop. I didn't really come across too many Debian specific questions on my exams either. I think Fedora will probably be fine.

Good discussion. I'm about to set up my virtual box for preparing for Linux+ and I'm thinking of going with CentOS.
  • Options
    EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    I'll toss in another vote for CentOS, much closer to RHEL. Fedora can be too bleeding edge. Certainly play around with it, but for study purposes, CentOS is probably a much better start.
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I haven't played with Linux much for the last two years, but when I did, I felt like my time spent on Slackware was really valuable. I can repeat what I read and heard a lot and that time: If you want to learn just plain Linux, use Slackware. If you want to learn specific distributions, use those distributions.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    YuckTheFankeesYuckTheFankees Member Posts: 1,281 ■■■■■□□□□□
    mgmguy1 wrote: »
    Hello all,
    I have Fedora 16 duel booted on my Laptop and I want to start to train for the LPI Certitication but I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for me to help me pass the test ? Is Fedora a good destro to use or should I pick out someting like Gentoo or Ubuntu ?

I going to be getting this book CompTIA Linux+ Complete Study Guide: Exams LX0-101 and LX0-102
    I have the Fedora 2011 Fedora Bible. and I am starting to explore some of the videos on you tube.
    In addition, I may buy a Linux CBT on E-bay

I am currently in School to get my CCNA and plan to sit for that test in July and when that is done I want to start on my Linux Certification.
    I have been told by a few prospective Employers that they would "seriously" consider me for a position if I have some Linux Skills.
    I really want to get away from the Help Desk role and move towards a Junior Network Admin role.

Any tips or advise is welcome.
    Patrick

I would use Fedora or CentOS as the main OS and then have Ubuntu as a VM. You'll get questions about both, so it's a safe bet to use both types and commit them to memory by actuall doing the commands.

The companies that wanted you to have linux experience, what kind of position were they considering you for..junior network admin?