Just passed Network+

TonysathreTonysathre Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello,

I have been passively reading this forum for some time now without posting. This forum really helped me in my studies as I pursued the Network+ certification. For others also pursuing this cert, here is a list of everything I used to prepare for the exam:

CBT Nuggets Network+ (2009)
Professor Messer's Free Network+ Videos
ExamCram Network+ (2009) Practice Exams
And this practice exam:
REMOVED (Sorry)

I studied hard for about four weeks. Using these I passed with a 855/900.

Next I am going to get my Security+. From your experience, which CBT is better, TrainSignal or CBT Nuggets?

Thanks,

Tony

Comments

• SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Unfortunately, your practice exam there is what we generally refer to as a braindump. They get starred out on our forums because the questions they give you are stolen directly from the real exams by people who either work in testing centers or people who take the tests.

Moving forward, (particularly with your Security+ studies,) you'll want to make sure you check out any vendor of practice tests you're planning on using with CertGuard to make sure it's legitimate. As for the videos, I tend to prefer CBT Nuggets. I like their trainers better.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • TonysathreTonysathre Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    My mistake, and I apologize, it won't happen again. I guess I didn't realize what a 'braindump' actually was, though I did find it helpful in studying the material. I was just Googling for practice tests and found those.

Would you recommend against using any SY0-201 study material to prepare for the SY0-301? Would that material be too outdated to use as study material?

Thanks,

Tony
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    The SY0-201 material might be a little dated, so it's probably best to get the SY0-301 books/videos if you can. If you already have the older material, you could always go and check over the objectives for both exams on CompTIA's site and compare the topics. If there's something not covered by the older study guides, you could do some sleuthing online to find howto's or information that way. (There are LOTS of sites that cover networking technologies in-depth.)

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    Tonysathre wrote: »
    My mistake, and I apologize, it won't happen again. I guess I didn't realize what a 'braindump' actually was, though I did find it helpful in studying the material. I was just Googling for practice tests and found those.

Would you recommend against using any SY0-201 study material to prepare for the SY0-301? Would that material be too outdated to use as study material?

Thanks,

Tony

Congratulations on the pass.

There are differences between the SY0-201 and SY0-301 exams so it's best to use 301 source material as Slowhand suggests. This blog gives some information on the differences between the two: Security+ SY0-201 and SY0-301 Differences.

Also, this site (SECURITY+ Forums) has an active forum of people that have been studying and people that have passed the Security+ exam.

Good luck.
  • whatthehellwhatthehell Member Posts: 920
    Congratz on the pass --- for Sec +, highly recommend Darril's material, as it is thorough and quite good!
    2017 Goals:
    [ ] Security + [ ] 74-409 [ ] CEH
    Future Goals:
    TBD
  • RufioRufio Member Posts: 25 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Get Darril's book. I passed Security+ about 3 weeks ago and now I'm working on Network+. I appreciate your comments.