Interships?

draughtdraught Member Posts: 229 ■■■■□□□□□□
I've been thinking about internships lately. The idea being that when I do look for a job it will be much easier as I'll have some experience and references besides certs. My plan right now is cold calling IT companies in my area and asking. I'm not sure where I would look online really. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Would age matter much? I keep thinking this sort of thing is for 18 year old kids and not people like me in their late 20s.

Comments

• hackman2007hackman2007 Member Posts: 185
    What part of your post do you think age matters? Looking for internships is important, even if you have to cold call companies. I don't think it matters how old you are. It only takes a few seconds for them to say "I'm sorry, we don't at the moment" or "Check our website".

You might also want to check out Urban Interns. I have browsed through the site and it looks interesting.
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    draught wrote: »
    I've been thinking about internships lately. The idea being that when I do look for a job it will be much easier as I'll have some experience and references besides certs. My plan right now is cold calling IT companies in my area and asking. I'm not sure where I would look online really. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Would age matter much? I keep thinking this sort of thing is for 18 year old kids and not people like me in their late 20s.

You'll always find some internship programs geared towards a specific class, age, skill set, etc. But don't let that discourage you, there are plenty of interships that will offer at your age. I would go for it. And you are right it will be a lot easier to get a job when you get out.
  • SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    We just hired an intern to assist our attorney. All she did was email the director here asking if we were interested in some free labor for legal work. He basically said "You know what? We'd be glad to have you. Let me get on it." And even through state government red tape, managed to get her in here fairly quickly. He even wants to continue having an intern for the office after she leaves. So there's a recommendation from me. Reach out to government outfits and just ask. Taking no pay and working a handful of hours a week will make it easier, in addition to them not having post a position asking for one (Regs will vary obviously.) YMMV. The worst they can do is say no or they can't.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • draughtdraught Member Posts: 229 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It sounds like I would get a positive response but the trick is knowing the right companies to ask. Is there anything I should specifically ask/look for besides the "IT department"?