Passed 70-270 today- Used CBT Nuggets w/Lab Book

observer23observer23 Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
I passed my 70-270 today with 842. Failed it 2 weeks ago with a 648.
Do not use only the Microsoft Book to Study! Combine it with CBT training and I would use the Sybex book. I have only glanced the Sybex book but I wish I used it instead.

I have worked part time supporting end users since 1998, but needed to boost my knowlege of Server 2003, Group Policy to pass.

I set up my own Server 2003 system and 2 clients for use as lab.

The factor that effected my score most was the testing facility though. The first one I tried was noisy (outside the room). I tend to be a bit noise sensitive side and that combined with too little sleep cut my review time to nothing.

This time the testing facility provided ear protection, Very Cool!! And I took my time with the questions. The questions can be tricky, TAKE YOUR TIME.

My recommendations:
Setup your own lab with server 2003 or 2000 and at least one client.
Use Sybex Exam Cram Book or combine with Microsoft Book

I used CBT Nuggets for CBT training. These guys are awesome and the courses are pretty damn cheap. I used them with my Network+ traing as well and found them to be invaluable, worth every damn penny spent.

Comments

• Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    congrats!
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • jescabjescab Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,321
    CONGRATZ dude.............
    GO STEELERS GO - STEELERS RULE
  • TrailerisfTrailerisf Member Posts: 455
    I spent over 2 months studying. I primarily used the sybex fast pass book till about a month ago when I freaked out and ordered a full version and postponed my exam 3 weeks.

I also grabbed what I thought was a bunch of practice tests... Turns out they are brain **** material and pretty much covered the questions on the exam. Totally unexpected, but I also studied my ass off.

On the road to Cisco. Will I hunt it, or will it hunt me?
  • 12thlevelwarrior12thlevelwarrior Member Posts: 302
    Which MS book are you saying do not use to study? There are like 5 books that cover 270. If you are referring to the 1st Edition 270 book, I completely agree, this book is woefully outdated, and to make it worse MS provides a link to this book off the 270 prep page. Makes me think they are trying to get rid of a book that was "overprinted".

I am studying with the 2nd Edition (Sold the 1st Edition on half.com) and think it covers almost everything.

I postponed my test for two weeks, still cramming in all the small details and taking practice tests.
    Every man dies, not every man really lives.
  • spudnikspudnik Member Posts: 232 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • observer23observer23 Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I used the 2nd edition...
    It is pretty good, but not my style format I guess.
    Sybex book had more exam specific data in it, fills in the holes better.
  • observer23observer23 Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Oh, and I didn't use CBT Nuggets till after I failed, used Nuggets to review the weak topics on the test, along with the Sybex book.