Options

Decided to go back to schoo...(WGU)

am87am87 Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
So I've decided to go back to school and earn my degree but I can't decide what to take at WGU. I was thinking of either B.S. Business—Information Technology Management or B.S. Information Technology—Networks Administration?

I have 3 years of IT help desk experience so I felt I could look into ITM program since I don't have a lot of experience in networking. Thoughts on helping me which program to pick?

(edit - sorry about the typo in the title)

Comments

• Options
    joehalford01joehalford01 Member Posts: 364 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would pick the one thats going to take you in the direction you want to go. Management and working directly on networks are different animals. Which one are you interested in? Another factor might be which program is going to let you transfer in the most credits, check out the courses in each one and see what might correspond.
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Agreed -- look at the certs and think about where you want to go with your career. Do you want to go into networking, systems administration, security, management, or something else? Are you unsure? WGU has programs for all of these options, more or less. But the career-specific ones require you to get intense certifications -- CCNA or MCITP:EA. Think about where you are and where you want to be. There are a fair amount of people who drop out or are forced to change programs because they make a mistake in picking the specialization.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    silverspotsilverspot Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am in the same boat! I am going to make this same decision. My CIO seems to think that there will be a real need for combination IT/business people in the future. As things get farmed out to the cloud, etc. there will be a need for people to bridge the gap between business and off-loaded/outsourced IT.

I spoke with an enrollment counsler, and she said based on what I said, I could transfer 29 credits for the IT degree, and 3 for IT management. I am wondering if the best way to go would be to get IT degree, then seek masters on the business side later. Anyone have any thoughts?
  • Options
    techinthewoodstechinthewoods Member Posts: 96 ■■□□□□□□□□
    am87 wrote: »
    So I've decided to go back to school and earn my degree but I can't decide what to take at WGU. I was thinking of either B.S. Business—Information Technology Management or B.S. Information Technology—Networks Administration?

I have 3 years of IT help desk experience so I felt I could look into ITM program since I don't have a lot of experience in networking. Thoughts on helping me which program to pick?

(edit - sorry about the typo in the title)

Are you transferring in an associates degree or starting from scratch?
  • Options
    EZ21EZ21 Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
    "Business—Information Technology Management or B.S. Information Technology"
    I earned my BA from a state school in the exact same major that your looking to get. Since you already have 3 years of expierence, that degree will sling shot you to a better job/pay. Since the majority of jobs that go along with this degree are in the "Business/ Private sector" earning a well respected degree from a respected school matters. I would only attend a 4 year B&M(brick and mortar) school that was AACSB accreditied.