What's the right route for me???!?!!?

SuperLT09SuperLT09 Member Posts: 31 ■□□□□□□□□□
I just started at WGU the first of Feb 2012 and I love the fact that we can push ourselves to finish up any class whenever we want to....QUESTION??? I plan on pursuing a Masters after I finish my Bachelors of Science in Network Administration and I want to get into the security realm....Would it be a waste of time pursuing my Masters of Science in Information Assurance at WGU and than a MBA (because I want to get into the managerial side of the house later on in my career); or should I just go after the MBA and the CISSP? I also plan on getting my MBA from the University of Florida...Thank you!
2018 Goals: CISSP (JUNE), MSCA Server 2016 (SEPTEMBER), CISM (DECEMBER), Need to learn Linux and Python

2019 Goals: OSCP, Transferring to the Army Cyber Branch

Comments

• phaneuf1phaneuf1 Member Posts: 131
    Here's what I'd do:

B.S. Information Technology—Security
    CCNP Security
    CCIE Security or CISSP
    MBA from a good B&M school.

and then I would get some Management experience, and I'd go for the PMP cert.

Winning
  • techinthewoodstechinthewoods Member Posts: 96 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Did you transfer in an associate's degree?
  • SuperLT09SuperLT09 Member Posts: 31 ■□□□□□□□□□
    No I transferred in a previous bachelors degree.....I transferred in 75 credits :)....
    2018 Goals: CISSP (JUNE), MSCA Server 2016 (SEPTEMBER), CISM (DECEMBER), Need to learn Linux and Python

• ValsacarValsacar Member Posts: 336
    Well, if you can afford it the MSISA definitely wouldn't hurt, but it's certs that people care about most (after experience). Nice part about their MSISA is some pretty good certs are part of it.

You also need to decide what part of security you want to get into, that will help decide what certs/degree/etc you want to do.
    WGU MS:ISA Progress:
    Required: NOTHING!!!!!
    Current Course: NONE

Completed: COV2, LKT2, LOT2, FNV2, VUT2, JFT2, TFT2, JIT2, FYT2, FMV2, FXT2, FYV2, LQT2
    Started 01 May 2012, Degree awarded 29 Oct 2013
    Man, I guess I will have to figure out what part of security I want to get into once I start the masters program at WGU...So are you saying that I should get the Masters after my second bachelors and than go for my MBA at UF or should I go for the CISSP and than the MBA...The MBA program is online so hopefully I will be able to gain some experience with a full time job...

I'd put work and certifications first, at least for now (after getting that BS, which will get you more certs too). You're going to need a bit of experience before you can really move into management anyway, so why not gain that while getting paid? Some companies might even help you pay for the MBA (I know my company agreed to pay for my MSISA).

Completed: COV2, LKT2, LOT2, FNV2, VUT2, JFT2, TFT2, JIT2, FYT2, FMV2, FXT2, FYV2, LQT2
    Okay so work, and BS in Network Administration; WGU MSISA try to move on with a better job to get more experience; CISSP, work; and than go for the MBA right?

I'd judge where you're at before starting the MSISA or MBA. If management is your goal, MBA might be all you need to get started, or if you feel you're not at the point where you're ready go ahead and do the MSISA. CISSP is good on both sides.

I really do appreciate the advice Valsacar...This discussion has gave me something to think about...