ANYBODY going for Voice??

skinsFan202skinsFan202 Member Posts: 87 ■■■□□□□□□□
Just checking to see if anybody is going for the CCIE in voice, seems R&S is the only lively group here. If so, how far are you in your studies and what are you using to study

Comments

• shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    I'm working Voice right now. I will be taking the last CCNP V exam tomorrow. If I pass I will start my 200 hours of reading and I'm scheduling a late june Written test.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    shodown wrote: »
    I'm working Voice right now. I will be taking the last CCNP V exam tomorrow. If I pass I will start my 200 hours of reading and I'm scheduling a late june Written test.

Let me know how you do on the exam, I'm sure you will ace it as you have an impressive level of knowledge and skills in VoIP.

I'm also starting on the CCIE:V track, and am going to begin my 200 hours of reading here soon as well. It will be slower than shodown's though, as I'm in college too and want to work my way up the CCDA/CCNP track to supplement my voice specialty. I shoot to have my written by the end of the year.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • KelkinKelkin Member Posts: 261 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Sweet some more Voice Guys! Got a few more things to deal with then i'll prepping for the lab.. woot.. woot..
  • TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Just checking to see if anybody is going for the CCIE in voice, seems R&S is the only lively group here. If so, how far are you in your studies and what are you using to study

Nah. Too late for me now. Plenty of guys I can call upon to cover off the voice bits and pieces. I just make sure the core has the QoS they need.
    chmorin wrote: »
    Let me know how you do on the exam, I'm sure you will ace it as you have an impressive level of knowledge and skills in VoIP.

I'm also starting on the CCIE:V track, and am going to begin my 200 hours of reading here soon as well. It will be slower than shodown's though, as I'm in college too and want to work my way up the CCDA/CCNP track to supplement my voice specialty. I shoot to have my written by the end of the year.

Good luck chmorin.

Yeah. Nice to have an enclave of CCIE voice people here. Shame Mike isn't posting these days. Voice was his genre.
  • shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    Ive actually decided over the weekend that I'm not going to jump right into IE voice. I'm actually going to get better at the current task I have at my job. We have a lot more things going other than voice that I should become proficient with. We do a lot of ASA, Contact Center, QOS, M$ Lync. I'm prob going to just dabble with IE voice written when I'm inspired by topics, and work on the holes in my game to become a better engineer. I'm not going to get any certs with these technologies I'm just going to enjoy them and spend the rest of my time enjoying my wife.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    That's an excellent plan shodown. Only get a cert when you want/need it!
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    shodown wrote: »
    Ive actually decided over the weekend that I'm not going to jump right into IE voice. I'm actually going to get better at the current task I have at my job. We have a lot more things going other than voice that I should become proficient with. We do a lot of ASA, Contact Center, QOS, M$ Lync. I'm prob going to just dabble with IE voice written when I'm inspired by topics, and work on the holes in my game to become a better engineer. I'm not going to get any certs with these technologies I'm just going to enjoy them and spend the rest of my time enjoying my wife.

You know, I actually had a similar thought about a week ago. I felt I would benefit from having more VoIP experience and getting some route/switch certs (maybe CCNP) before I tackled the CCIE:V. I would also like to be in a job (or hopefully, my current job will become this) where I am managing an international VoIP Infrastructure. My job currently has the potential.

I also want my bachelors degree since I do want to be in management down the line. Reguardless, there is a CCIE in my future.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • sieffsieff Member Posts: 276
    I'm about 3 weeks into studying for CCIE-V written exam and I'm also laying the foundations for a CCIE-V lab. for written exam so far I've been studying 642-642 QOS cert guide and SRND for CUCM 7x. for the lab build i acquired 2 UCS C210s, a 2801 router for HQ. next i plan on purchasing a 2811/CME/CUE from ebay and ordering a SIP trunk for home. i have spare phones for the HQ and the BR1, which will be my home SIP network. I intend on taking 350-030 end of April. i know i have to increase my reading on theory in all areas of Blueprint. lab date tentative DEC 2012. i also joined VOICEIE forum and another forum by inexpert - i'm still not certain as to who to go with for IE Voice lab books. i plan on going to bootcamp just when i think i'm ready for lab attempt. i've been going at this for about 3 wks seriously and its been tiring ... 8-10 hr work days and an additional 2-4 hours a night reading and researching. i also added 4-6 hrs of study on saturdays, sunday is day off. my social life has decreased dramatically ... i'm still a bit unorganized in my preparation, but i'm more motivated than i have been in the past.
    "The heights by great men reached and kept were not attained by sudden flight, but they, while their companions slept were toiling upward in the night." from the poem: The Ladder of St. Augustine, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
    Thats great Sieff.. I have INE's voice materials which is pretty good.. IPExpert has some good stuff as well so its really up to you on that aspect.. Im finishing up my lap gear myself.. Ordered an CUE the other day and should be here anytime.. just need one more 28xx and im good to go..
  • skinsFan202skinsFan202 Member Posts: 87 ■■■□□□□□□□
    sieff wrote: »
    I'm about 3 weeks into studying for CCIE-V written exam and I'm also laying the foundations for a CCIE-V lab. for written exam so far I've been studying 642-642 QOS cert guide and SRND for CUCM 7x. for the lab build i acquired 2 UCS C210s, a 2801 router for HQ. next i plan on purchasing a 2811/CME/CUE from ebay and ordering a SIP trunk for home. i have spare phones for the HQ and the BR1, which will be my home SIP network. I intend on taking 350-030 end of April. i know i have to increase my reading on theory in all areas of Blueprint. lab date tentative DEC 2012. i also joined VOICEIE forum and another forum by inexpert - i'm still not certain as to who to go with for IE Voice lab books. i plan on going to bootcamp just when i think i'm ready for lab attempt. i've been going at this for about 3 wks seriously and its been tiring ... 8-10 hr work days and an additional 2-4 hours a night reading and researching. i also added 4-6 hrs of study on saturdays, sunday is day off. my social life has decreased dramatically ... i'm still a bit unorganized in my preparation, but i'm more motivated than i have been in the past.
    nice sieff! jealous of your UCS setup. I've managed to get by just running VMs on my old desktop with VM workstation. I'm also using IPExpert which I like a lot. The end-to-end BLS has a decent structure timeline that you can follow from starting with workbook 1 all the way to taking a bootcamp if you feel need to. From what I've heard, INE's stuff is just as good.
  • pitviperpitviper Member Posts: 1,376 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I’ll be joining you guys shortly – Hope to be back on the CCIE:V horse right after I finish up the CCNP.
    sieff wrote: »
    for the lab build i acquired 2 UCS C210s

Those UCS servers are nice! We’re using C210 M2s in our UC deployment at work. I managed to pick up a C200 M1 for the lab.

As for study aids, I’ve gone through much of INE’s voice offering as well as a few CCBOOTCAMP guides (advanced technology workbook and written study guide). I should have knocked out the written last year but knew that I didn’t have the time to get the lab prep in.
    CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, CCNA:V, CCNA, CCENT
  • skinsFan202skinsFan202 Member Posts: 87 ■■■□□□□□□□
    rumors swirling about update to the exam being announced at Cisco Live next week

Tweeting and Live Blogging from CCIE Voice Update and CCIE DC at Cisco Live