Options

Security certifications recomendation

Hi everyone,

I am a CompTIA Sec+ certified prof, and I am looking a for aditional security certifications.

I was wondering if anyone could recomend me on security related certificactions, besides CompTIA.

Please bear in mind that I am outside US (in Argentina, latin america), so the certificating company would have to work with Pearson VUE or Thompson Prometric... or have international presence.

Any suggestions will be appreciated! :D

Cheers!

Agustin

Comments

• Options
    MunckMunck Member Posts: 150
    You have a lot of options, and depending on your interests and what is in demand in your area, I have a few suggestions:

- CISSP
    - a SANS GIAC track
    - CCNA-->CCSP

Again, it all depends on your situation.
  • Options
    agustinchernitskyagustinchernitsky Member Posts: 299
    Hi Munck,

Thanks for the suggestion... CISSP was on my mind... but surely SANS is a good one.

CCSP is "too much cisco" for me. For Cisco I was planning a CCNA and CCDA, which covers the basics of networking and routing.

Are you a CISSP cert. pro?

Cheers!
  • Options
    keatronkeatron Member Posts: 1,213 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Make sure you're aware of the experience requirement to sit the CISSP exam and the additional requirements to actually get the certification.

Read here for the experience requirement
    https://www.isc2.org/cgi-bin/content.cgi?category=1187

and here for the requirements to sit for the exam
    https://www.isc2.org/cgi-bin/content.cgi?category=1186
  • Options
    MunckMunck Member Posts: 150
    I'm not a CISSP - yet icon_wink.gif
    Right now, I'm finishing up my GIAC Certified Firewall Analyst. After that I plan to tackle the CISSP. One simply can't argue about the value of this cert. 90% of the listed jobs in security in my country ask for it.

The CCNA would serve you well. A basic knowledge of networks is a requirement for a security pro. I'm not sure you'll get enough "bang-for-the-buck" by doing CCDA. Atleast not if your main objective is security. Besides, you'll have to maintain two Cisco certs icon_confused.gif

If you have what is required for the CISSP, go for it.
    If not, go for the CCNA --> SANS. The SANS material is far easier to grasp, if you have the networking skills of a CCNA. My 0,02 ct.

Good luck icon_cool.gif