Question about MCTS

jbimlerjbimler Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
I'm new to the IT scene, and only just recently taken and passed my A+ exam. Now I'm studying for my Network+ and was thinking about taking a Microsoft exam after I pass the Net+. I'm a little confused about the requirements to be considered a MCTS. If I were to pass 70-680 am I considered a MCTS? I only ask because after looking at the Microsoft website it says you need to pass between one and three exams.

Comments

• PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    jbimler wrote: »
    I'm new to the IT scene, and only just recently taken and passed my A+ exam. Now I'm studying for my Network+ and was thinking about taking a Microsoft exam after I pass the Net+. I'm a little confused about the requirements to be considered a MCTS. If I were to pass 70-680 am I considered a MCTS? I only ask because after looking at the Microsoft website it says you need to pass between one and three exams.

Passing the 680 will earn you the MCTS: Windows 7 Configuration cert. The cert also counts towards the MCITP:EA for the client exam and you can combine it with the 686 to earn the Enterprise Desktop admin cert.
  • jbimlerjbimler Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Does the 70-680 seem like a good idea after the Network+? I have no experience in IT right now. Currently I'm looking for an entry level position.
  • ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Each MCITP certification contains multiple MCTS certifications. Almost all MCTS certifications are one exam. For example, the 70-680 exam will give you the MCTS: Windows 7, Configuration certification. The 70-680 exam along with the 70-640, 70-642, 70-643, and 70-647 exams will give you four MCTS certifications (one each for 680, 640, 642, and 643), with the 70-647 being the final requirement to achieve MCITP: Enterprise Administrator.

None of these exams are by any means easy, particularly not for the inexperienced. Net+ is a far cry from the 70-680 exam in terms of difficulty and prep time required. Make sure you are seriously considering spending at least a portion of your career supporting, implementing, or designing Microsoft technologies before you undertake these. If you want to go into networking, now is the time to take your CCNA. If you do want to go into Windows desktop support and/or systems administration, then go ahead and start into the 70-680 exam and the MCITP:EA track.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
    I'm leaning towards networking right now, but like I said have no experience. I've read on here it's smart to hold off on getting CCNA until you have a little experience.
    I'm leaning towards networking right now, but like I said have no experience. I've read on here it's smart to hold off on getting CCNA until you have a little experience.

I would contend that the 70-680 without experience is no easier than ICND1 (CCENT, the first "half" of CCNA) nor is it substantially more valuable in entry-level career prospects. You would do well to consider starting CCENT instead of 70-680, skipping Net+.
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    So you are suggesting I skip the net+?
    So you are suggesting I skip the net+?
    If you're seriously considering networking, yes. Net+ material has a lot of overlap with CCENT. If you already have the Net+ study material there's no harm in taking it. It's a decent exam with decent objectives, and I like what people tend to learn with it. But if it comes down to a choice of spending over $200 on the exam and study materials, that money will ultimately be better spent on CCENT & CCNA if that's the direction in which you want to go.
    Thanks for the suggestions. Is there any worth in just picking up the 70-680 considering I'll probably be doing help desk for at least a year?
  • tr1xtr1x Member Posts: 213
    Thanks for the suggestions. Is there any worth in just picking up the 70-680 considering I'll probably be doing help desk for at least a year?
    Yeah, an MCTS would have value for a help desk job, but it's actually a very hard cert and deals with mostly server stuff and supporting Windows 7 from an enterprise standpoint. Employers would like seeing the cert but I don't know if it'd really help you or not. As others have said, put your efforts into CCNA instead. Employers will like seeing the A+ though for help desk.
    It is, but CCENT won't hurt in the regard, and really, A+ is all you need. I would at least get CCENT first if I were more interested in the networking field, then start in 70-680 if I were having a hard time getting a job.