CWNA Exam

shaun5263shaun5263 Member Posts: 120 ■■■□□□□□□□
Did anyone else have a difficult time studying for this exam? I have rescheduled my test a couple of times because I am having a bit of a tough time retaining the minute details of some of the aspects of the test. Is there anything anybody could suggest that really helped prepare for the test. I find myself reading a lot of the stuff over and over and struggling a bit to remember it. I took CCNA with no problem (I know it's not the same) and it is a very difficult test to some but the info and everything with it really stuck with me. Thanks in advance for replies!

Comments

• JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    What topics are you having difficulty remembering?

The CWNA is an interesting exam because it contains everything from hardware to software to the flow of data and protocols to RF physics to laws and regulations. A lot like an amateur radio license exam, but without the math.
  • shaun5263shaun5263 Member Posts: 120 ■■■□□□□□□□
    coordination functions and EAP authentication and types are the first things that come to mind.
  • alanieralanier Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
    i had a hard time studying too. i pushed my exam back a couple of weeks. Just took the test last month. made a 70. definitely one of the hardest tests I have taken. the practice tests on cwnp.com really helped me
  • kthome23kthome23 Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have pushed mine back a few weeks as well. I have studied hard for the last few months. Had a class as well that included CWSP. What I am finding frustrating is that I really feel comfortable with all of the exam objectives but when I do my practice test on cwnp.com it is as if you either must read their mind as to what answer they are looking for or the question is just plain wrong. I know that is not the case but I could swear some of the questions I am answering 100% correct only to find out it is the wrong choice and maybe a grey area answer is expected.

I have taken quite a few certs and even exams in college and this is by far the hardest one ever. FYI.

Keep on reviewing absolutely everything you can get your hands on, study to the exam objectives not the sample test, questions, etc, and read the standards. Other than that I don't know what else to do other than don a mind readers helmet I guess. Maybe study overload? icon_cry.gif

Keith
  • shaun5263shaun5263 Member Posts: 120 ■■■□□□□□□□
    kthome23 wrote: »
    I have pushed mine back a few weeks as well. I have studied hard for the last few months. Had a class as well that included CWSP. What I am finding frustrating is that I really feel comfortable with all of the exam objectives but when I do my practice test on cwnp.com it is as if you either must read their mind as to what answer they are looking for or the question is just plain wrong. I know that is not the case but I could swear some of the questions I am answering 100% correct only to find out it is the wrong choice and maybe a grey area answer is expected.

I have taken quite a few certs and even exams in college and this is by far the hardest one ever. FYI.

Keep on reviewing absolutely everything you can get your hands on, study to the exam objectives not the sample test, questions, etc, and read the standards. Other than that I don't know what else to do other than don a mind readers helmet I guess. Maybe study overload? icon_cry.gif

Keith

I know the feeling... the questions all seem to have a good answer, a better answer, and the answer CWNP is looking for (the best answer). I'm reviewing like crazy and have read the sybex book atleast 2.5 times. Been doing a little bit of wiki searching as well.
  • kthome23kthome23 Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yep. I lost count of how many time I have been through the Sybex and it seems like every day I pick it up and skim it but in the least 2 weeks I haven't found anything that I don't already feel very comfortably with.icon_study.gif

Like you said, there is what appears to be the very best answer and then the answer CWNP is looking for.

Still, I surprisingly have found myself absolutely loving 802.11 and even 802.16 technology. Just something about it that is new and fresh and got me but I like it. Then again right next to my office I have a very large tall tower with backhaul equipment all over it that is a kind of motivator. Tower monkeys are up there climbing on it almost daily adding more antenna to it. Might even look at taking a tower climbing course next after CWSP. First I have to pass this CWNA though...yikes!

Keith
    shaun5263 wrote: »
    coordination functions and EAP authentication and types are the first things that come to mind.
    I understand completely. Topics involving handshaking and data transfer protocols really require visual and animated models to truly understand what is going on. Someone needs to make some Flash movies of these concepts for people to really see how the Layer 2, 3, 5, and 7 protocols work in different situations.
  • Michael ParkMichael Park Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I studied both the CWNA McGraw Hill Exam Guide by Tom Carpenter and the Sybex CWNA Official Study Guide by David D. Coleman and David A. Westcott for about 2 months, took the exam 2 weeks ago and failed with 68%. So I restudied both books plus the White Papers included on the CD on the Sybex book. I took the practice tests on the CWNP site, the thing I didn’t like about them is they tell you why the right answers are right but don’t tell why the wrong answers are wrong. I retook the exam and failed with a 66%. I agree with the previous threads that you need to read their minds, there was questions that I swear there wasn’t any correct answer or if they wanted 2 answers there seemed to be more than two correct answers. I don’t think I could have passed the exam if I could have used the books during the exam or just barely passed. I also have a CCNA and CCNA Security Certs, Linux+, Convergence+, Security+, Network+, A+ IT Technician and FCC General Radiotelephone Operation License. I am going to try the CCNA Wireless later this, I was looking at a guide and notice a lot of what I studied on the CWNA is on the CCNA Wireless Exam so I don’t think I wasted my time completely.
  • bc901bc901 Member Posts: 46 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I studied both the CWNA McGraw Hill Exam Guide by Tom Carpenter and the Sybex CWNA Official Study Guide by David D. Coleman and David A. Westcott for about 2 months, took the exam 2 weeks ago and failed with 68%. So I restudied both books plus the White Papers included on the CD on the Sybex book. I took the practice tests on the CWNP site, the thing I didn’t like about them is they tell you why the right answers are right but don’t tell why the wrong answers are wrong. I retook the exam and failed with a 66%. I agree with the previous threads that you need to read their minds, there was questions that I swear there wasn’t any correct answer or if they wanted 2 answers there seemed to be more than two correct answers. I don’t think I could have passed the exam if I could have used the books during the exam or just barely passed. I also have a CCNA and CCNA Security Certs, Linux+, Convergence+, Security+, Network+, A+ IT Technician and FCC General Radiotelephone Operation License. I am going to try the CCNA Wireless later this, I was looking at a guide and notice a lot of what I studied on the CWNA is on the CCNA Wireless Exam so I don’t think I wasted my time completely.

Sorry about the fail. I'm planning on going for the CWNA eventually once I'm done with WGU.

Right now however I'm studying for my FCC General Radiotelephone Operation License. I have some software that I am using to learn the material but do you have any tips for studying for it?
    bc901 wrote: »
    Right now however I'm studying for my FCC General Radiotelephone Operation License. I have some software that I am using to learn the material but do you have any tips for studying for it?
    Have you checked the links on this page?

Commercial Radio Operator License Program: Who Needs a License: COLE Managers
    FCC General Radiotelephone Operation License: I don't think I could be much help, I took the exam in 1987. I took the second class exam and passed, then studied for the first class, but they had discontinued the second and first exam and was giving the general class exam. Since I had the second class they gave me the general class without the exam. I used a Sams book to study for the exam, I am not sure if Sams is still in business.
  • bc901bc901 Member Posts: 46 ■■■□□□□□□□
    JDMurray wrote: »

Thanks for the link. I just got done taking Elements 1, 3 & 8 for my GROL with Radar Endorsement. For anyone wondering the test is pretty hard and you'll need a good electronics background to pass.
  • thehourmanthehourman Member Posts: 723
    I thought I am the only one struggling with this exam. From chapter 9 to 15 practice test I always got 9/20 for each chapter. I thought I understood the concept, and was pretty confident when I was answering the practice question then got only 9 correct answers. That got me really frustrated.

I am about to finish chapter 18, and I feel confident answering the chapter's question, but I am predicting that I am going to get 9 points again.
    I am also going to try to take the test this Saturday; if I fail, I am buying the PDF version of the book and read it again. The Kindle version sucks. I'm interest on CWSP for some reason.
    Studying:
    Working on CCNA: Security. Start date: 12.28.10
    Microsoft 70-640 - on hold (This is not taking me anywhere. I started this in October, and it is December now, I am still on page 221. WTH!)
    Reading:
    Network Warrior - Currently at Part II
    Reading IPv6 Essentials 2nd Edition - on hold
    I took a couple of questions from the practice tests online that I didn't agree with the answer they said correct and spoke to a colleague and explained why I chose the answer that I thought was right. He said my problem was I was using my 30+ years experience instead of the text.
  • PsychoFinPsychoFin Member Posts: 280
    Those of you having trouble with the exam, I recommend doing all four exams on the CD, and then considering purchasing the online practice exams from CWNP as well. Don't forget that there is a lot of theory, and it's easy to mix things and get confused. Once you've read the book, go through each objective on the exam syllabus and tick off the ones you know well, and re-read the ones you were unsure about and TAKE NOTES. Those notes will help a ton.

Cheers,
    Fin
  • PsychoFinPsychoFin Member Posts: 280
    Also, here is a great free book on Math and Physics for the 802.11 Wireless LAN Engineer:

http://www.wildpackets.com/elements/whitepapers/math_physics_jbardwell.pdf
  • YuckTheFankeesYuckTheFankees Member Posts: 1,281 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I'm really interested in learning wireless but I rarely see job postings asking for the CWNA or even wireless knowledge for that matter. I'm still debating if it's worth it.
  • BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    CWNP posts a lot of jobs through their blog, FB, and LinkedIn pages. I am starting to see more and more companies asking for CWNA and CCNA-Wireless. I know Target's HQ and Walmart's HQ both just went through looking for multiple wireless positions.

If you search for wireless on the job boards, you are more than likely going to get Verizon, ATT, etc. You have to search for 802.11 for the jobs to come up.
    About 4 months ago I was really into the wireless scene and I was thinking about getting most of the CWNP certs..but then more and more people started to say wireless/ 802.11 jobs are rare..and will stay rare. So I decided against it for now.

Do you see wireless jobs becoming indemand in the future?
    I don't see 802.11 as a central technology to base a career on, but instead as just one technology that is used in enterprise networking systems. For any type of networking career, you need to start with routing/switching first.

If you do want to work in wireless technologies, look at industries based on mobile device technologies (e.g., cellular). Those industries are booming right now.
    What kind of jobs would someone get with the mobile device companies?
    Network engineer, technician, operations, architect, analyst, field service, etc.
  • ATL357ATL357 Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Passed the CWNA exam yesterday , it was a very tricky exam which requires you to really understand the subject. Next the Motorola RFS-xxx series training.
    Congratulations on your pass! icon_thumright.gif
    Congrats on the pass!
  • ATL357ATL357 Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
  • linksEDGElinksEDGE Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats ATL347. I am set to write CWNA in two days, pls any valuable advice? Great site! well done JDMurray for all valuable threads; cant stop reading. Any other source of advice on CWNA shall be greatly acknowledged. Could I also use this medium to clarify this: CWNP exams, very rich content wise but hardly seen as requirements for job placement here in Africa-does the tedious study time and cash involvement really worth it for a dude working with Telco operators, like me? Any global-recognized Telcoms certification?
    linksEDGE wrote: »
    does the tedious study time and cash involvement really worth it for a dude working with Telco operators, like me? Any global-recognized Telcoms certification?
    Very few IT certifications are globally recognized. I would suggest narrowing down to a geographical area you are interested working, and then look at job postings for that area and check what certs are being asked for, or just mentioned, in the postings. If you see CWTS/CWNA/CWSP in a significant number of job postings that interest you then those are "recognized" and you should go for them.

The worth of certifications is in helping you gain new knowledge and skills, verifying the knowledge and skills that you have, making yourself more valuable to your current employer, and more marketable to future employers. How much money is your future career goals and earning potential worth? Only you can decide that.
  • linksEDGElinksEDGE Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I agree more with you. Thanks alot JDmurray
  • learn2successlearn2success Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have just ordered a book of CWNA.. starting my preparation soon for the exam.