Options

First go at an IT resume

Hello all,

So I spent hours perfecting my format and content on this resume. It's only for an entry level help desk job, nothing major. I tried to keep it down to a page and a bit, the reason I put my non-IT experience down (i.e. the coffee shop) is because I think it demonstrates good customer service skills. I don't know if it's worth it or not, but we'll see.

Post any constructive feedback you have, this is my first go so I'm ready to take whatever is coming icon_smile.gif

novalith TE Resume.doc

Comments

• Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Some thoughts

Make your name centered along with the address. The transition into the rest of the headings looks a little off. I would also keep it the same color as your headings (EG Education, IT Skills, etc)

Remove the lines from the different sections. I would instead underline the heading and use that with an underline instead of a full line for each section. I would change the weight on the line up top to give it some real seperation.

Remove your periods from your bullet points. You never want periods in bullet points. Your first bullet point for IT/Technicial support has ways too much information. Bullet points are quick hitters.

The bullet point next to IT/Technical Support needs to be split. Bullet points should be one liners not paragraphs. Try to break that up some how or restructer that section.

I wouldn't make seperate sections of IT work and other work. That's just me though. I would call it experience or work experience and list them in the same section.

Under your certs I wouldn't list a big long story there about when you plan on getting it. I would say in progress expected test date or scheduled test data 3/31 or whatever.

I like how you have contributions/skill value Kudos on that. That's well done.

I just woke up so I might of missed something, but I think you did a solid job.

One more thing I noticed. You put your name and information in the header, I wouldn't do that. I would pull up the header on the first page to about .5 inch and create the name/email/phone section in the body of the document.
  • Options
    rwmidlrwmidl Member Posts: 807 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Center your name, address etc at the top. I wouldn't set it in the header, as it can appear lighter than the body of the resume.
    I would remove the word "resume". HR will know what it is. I would only list certifications you actually have, not ones you are working on. You can mention you are working on something during an interview, but I feel it's not appropriate on a resume. If you list our software expertise, you can put OS information there as well. You have a bachelors degree. No need to put your HS information in. Scratch that, it looks like you are working on your bachelors so HS info is fine. I like listing your GPA.
    CISSP | CISM | ACSS | ACIS | MCSA:2008 | MCITP:SA | MCSE:Security | MCSA:Security | Security + | MCTS
  • Options
    Novalith478Novalith478 Member Posts: 151
    rwmidl wrote: »
    Center your name, address etc at the top. I wouldn't set it in the header, as it can appear lighter than the body of the resume.
    I would remove the word "resume". HR will know what it is. I would only list certifications you actually have, not ones you are working on. You can mention you are working on something during an interview, but I feel it's not appropriate on a resume. If you list our software expertise, you can put OS information there as well. You have a bachelors degree. No need to put your HS information in. Scratch that, it looks like you are working on your bachelors so HS info is fine. I like listing your GPA.

Yeah the formatting got screwed up when I replaced my name and info with xxx's. Originally it was all lined up nicely. I will take them out of the header though - I'm used to handing in printed resumes, but I realise now that with the online job applications, a lot of people might not see the header.

Also the only reason why I list the certs I'm working on is to provide background info that I might not have my CCNA yet, I am in the progress of getting it, I don't know I figured it's better to say you're in progress of doing it than say nothing at all.
    N2IT wrote: »
    Some thoughts

Make your name centered along with the address. The transition into the rest of the headings looks a little off. I would also keep it the same color as your headings (EG Education, IT Skills, etc)

Remove the lines from the different sections. I would instead underline the heading and use that with an underline instead of a full line for each section. I would change the weight on the line up top to give it some real seperation.

Remove your periods from your bullet points. You never want periods in bullet points. Your first bullet point for IT/Technicial support has ways too much information. Bullet points are quick hitters.

The bullet point next to IT/Technical Support needs to be split. Bullet points should be one liners not paragraphs. Try to break that up some how or restructer that section.

I wouldn't make seperate sections of IT work and other work. That's just me though. I would call it experience or work experience and list them in the same section.

Under your certs I wouldn't list a big long story there about when you plan on getting it. I would say in progress expected test date or scheduled test data 3/31 or whatever.

I like how you have contributions/skill value Kudos on that. That's well done.

I just woke up so I might of missed something, but I think you did a solid job.

One more thing I noticed. You put your name and information in the header, I wouldn't do that. I would pull up the header on the first page to about .5 inch and create the name/email/phone section in the body of the document.

Thank you all for your valuable input.
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Hello all,

So I spent hours perfecting my format and content on this resume. It's only for an entry level help desk job, nothing major. I tried to keep it down to a page and a bit, the reason I put my non-IT experience down (i.e. the coffee shop) is because I think it demonstrates good customer service skills. I don't know if it's worth it or not, but we'll see.

Post any constructive feedback you have, this is my first go so I'm ready to take whatever is coming icon_smile.gif

novalith TE Resume.doc

I think this resume is pretty good, but also give some thought on how to come over well on the telephone and when meeting people face to face. Not that you are not a dynamic person and all, but being great on paper is just the beginning! Follow through when people speak to you, meet you and vitally when you are offered a job and accept it..meeting those expectations in your first month at work!

You can get lots of CV help, but doing well from there, particularly your first month in a new job, well there is hardly any good advice worldwide on that. Hey I just identified a need that can make me and a partner a lot of money! :)

www.firstmonthsurvivalguide.com
  • Options
    EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    N2IT wrote: »
    Remove your periods from your bullet points. You never want periods in bullet points.

I'm going to disagree with this. I always use proper punctuation in my bullets, including periods at the end of them. HOWEVER, this is really personal preference, as either way is valid. The important thing is consistency, if you use a period at the end of 1, use it at the end of all, or vice versa.

Take your GPA off your College, and take your high school off all together. Since you have not yet graduated from college AND the degree your pursuing is NOT IT related, move your Education section to the BOTTOM of your resume.

Like rwmidl said, take the word "Resume' off, and don't list certs that you "hope to achieve".

I'd also take out the "Sports and Community Activities/Other Skills and Abilities" section. These may matter if you're trying to get accepted into a certain college, but they don't belong on a resume. Waste of space.

Applications will ask about your language skills. If you are applying for a job that specifically mentions they're looking for someone who is bi-lingual in English and German, you can mention this in your cover letter.

"References available upon request" isn't needed either. That should go without saying.
  • Options
    djfunzdjfunz Member Posts: 307
    Everyone wrote: »

Like rwmidl said, take the word "Resume' off, and don't list certs that you "hope to achieve".

Yeah, I have to echo this one as well. I used to have something like that on mine too and looking back, it just looks silly. Just list what you have.
    WGU Progress - B.S. IT - Completed
  • Options
    Novalith478Novalith478 Member Posts: 151
    I am making most of these corrections as we speak. Thank you for your input.
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Everyone wrote: »
    HOWEVER, this is really personal preference, as either way is valid. The important thing is consistency, if you use a period at the end of 1, use it at the end of all, or vice versa.
    Agreed. Whichever method you use is immaterial, so long as it's consistent.

The advantage to not using periods is it forces you to keep bullets somewhat concise, since a second sentence in one bullet is not an option.

Also, no periods on bullets makes more sense if you have a 2-3 sentence job description for each job. Periods make more sense if your experience descriptions are 100% bullet points. Both methods are just fine, IMO.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    ptilsen wrote: »
    Agreed. Whichever method you use is immaterial, so long as it's consistent.

The advantage to not using periods is it forces you to keep bullets somewhat concise, since a second sentence in one bullet is not an option.

Also, no periods on bullets makes more sense if you have a 2-3 sentence job description for each job. Periods make more sense if your experience descriptions are 100% bullet points. Both methods are just fine, IMO.

The reason I don't like periods at the end of bullets is if you decide to break out your technology experience with one or two words (incomplete sentences), like listing a protocol or some one off technology you have to deviate from the periods you are listing in your sentences. That to me looks inconsistent, so I just make common practice to not use them at all. Of course if you are listing multiple sentences within one bullet you are forced to use periods. Personally I have never put multiple sentences under one bullet, that's what paragraphs are for.

And for the record I agree with Josh, it really doesn't matter which way you go technically, I just choose to go without because of the reasons listed above. I have always ran into challenges using bullets and periods because I use the bullets for incomplete sentences quite often. Especially when listing out my technical skills.
  • Options
    DustingDuvetDustingDuvet Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I wrote a very basic critique below. The resume can easily be reduced to one page without cutting out content if you organized it more neatly. The content needs a lot of work. I hope this helps.