new a+/HIT/mcse student

netlagnetlag Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
Long time student is now starting path to enlightenment! --been around desktop pcs since 85!

Reading the forums... noticed a plethora of study materials, objective paths, and aids available out there...it has become a real task in chosing what is good over what might be good and still current.

Started my quest of materials search at the library..while I was there farmed two Myers books. A+ Passport Certification 1st Edition and also his All-in-one 5th Edition.

A+ Passport Certification 1st Edition

Glanced through the first few chapters of the 1st ED. PASSPORT and got scared because this seems to legacy back to Comptia 2001 objectives..or even earlier? Also noticed that there will be an edition change to the PASSPORT SERIES in July '06. Any knowledge to when they will be changing the COmptia objectives from the 2003 version?

All-in-one 5th Edition

Additionally, reading through some on the forum reviews... I am sort of put off by the All-in-one 5th Edition reviews...seems that alot of people are not happy with it for different reasons. Did not noticed that there was a new version readying for print.

Anyways... since many of you have come this path with alot of previous knowledge and no formal training...was hoping that some advice would be available.

Additionally, I was looking into working on the HIT cert, and MCSE too--- but have yet to really do more than find some reading material.

Appreciate any responses.

Comments

• TrailerisfTrailerisf Member Posts: 455
    Start with A+... Head into Network+ after... great basis for you to work from and they add up to be 1 of your MCSA exams. :)

3 more and you are certified.

Then try and get in entry level somewhere and grab experience. Two more exams and you are MCSE certified.
    On the road to Cisco. Will I hunt it, or will it hunt me?
  • netlagnetlag Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I know I did not mention it... Been building boxes since the 286 turbo ATs and pluggin cards in 8088 machines since before that. Far from making me an expert, but far from in-experienced, or lacking OJT.

Actually, that is why I am interested in getting certified. Been doing solo side-jobs for the past year as they come in and making decent money on these too.

Figured by expanding my knowledge... I could expand on the jobs I pursue and the advertising I am doing. Marketing my equal level of knowledge is the key to further success.

So.. would feel real funny bench-teching at 1/4 my rate just to remember say something like socket 8 is 387pins and ZIF, or 5 beeps on boot is possible proc issue... Even if my service calls are mostly software related.

Anyway... the rest sounds like a good plan, but I am still looking for more responses on the benefits of using the Fourth Edition vs- Fifth Edition Myers AIO.

Anyone?
  • janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    AIO fifth edition is the one to use. It is the latest and was published when the latest exam revisions were rolled out.

Also, I would recommend the AIO. It was the one that pulled me through on the A+.

Good luck on this new path!
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki
  • netlagnetlag Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    janmike wrote:
    AIO fifth edition is the one to use. It is the latest and was published when the latest exam revisions were rolled out.

Also, I would recommend the AIO. It was the one that pulled me through on the A+.

Good luck on this new path!

Seems that the negative reviews for AIO fifth came out during the intial roll-out of the 2003 or end cycle of the 2001 objectives.

Sorry I am stressing so much on the books, but I am planning on ordering today and want to make sure my materials are solid.