As of right now, this is my current lab equipment:
3 Cisco 1721 Routers 16 flash/32 DRAM
3 Cisco 1721 Routers 32 flash/64 DRAM
3 WIC 2T Smart Serial Cards
3 Sticks of 64 DRAM
3 Smart Serial Cables
200 ft Cat6 + plugs and crimp to make my own network cables
1 Console Cable

From all the reading I have done on this forum I think this is a good lab. My question is do you think I need anything more? I have been thinking about a 3550 for a frame relay but I am unsure if I can use one of the 1721 16F routers as a frame relay. Is this even possible? or do I need something like a 3550 switch?

Comments

• Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I don't see a switch in your list. A 3550 would take care of that requirement for sure.
  • Options
    martell1000martell1000 Member Posts: 389
    one switch is not very usefull. two 3550 would be great (also good for ccnp), if you are on a budget 2 or 3 2950s also do the trick for ccna.
    And then, I started a blog ...
  • Options
    FLEOHBFLEOHB Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I forgot to list two 2950s
  • Options
    ciscoman2012ciscoman2012 Member Posts: 313
    For Frame Relay I'd suggest a 2600 series router or 3640, 3725 etc. with NM module slot and you can put an NM 4 A/S or NM 8 A/S in there. I would look for eBay and buy a router that already has this module installed. It's usually cheaper that way if you're willing to wait and be a bit patient.

Also, I see you're talking about adding a 3550 for Frame Relay. This is actually a Layer3 switch and you really don't need it until your CCNP studies. I would agree with the users above me and get 2-3 2950 switches. I see them going on eBay all the time for $30-40 each. You can probably get three of them in a lot package for under $100.

Overall, I'd say your lab looks fine and I would just focus on adding 2-3 2950 switches along with a Frame Relay router.
  • Options
    ciscoman: would an example of a Frame Relay Router be a 3550? I'm looking at building my lab on a kinda tight budget
  • Options
    ciscoman2012ciscoman2012 Member Posts: 313
    The 3350 is a layer 3 switch. You need a router than can act as a Frame Relay switch and has 4 serial ports (NM 4 A/S or NM 4T I believe).
  • Options
    if you are on a tight budget another option would be using gns3 for the routers and just buying some decent switches.
  • Options
    Thank you, martell thank you for that excellent suggestion. On the same note, everything I have read says that sims are just that sims, not the real thing. I am looking to work on the real thing in hopes that building it and working with it will help me in my exams and my job when it comes time.
  • Options
    true that. but gns3 is not just a simulation, it is an emulation so its like the "real deal".
    i finished the CCNP route exam just with labbing in gns3.

and if you get the switches as physical equipment you can get your hand on them. there is not really that much about handling physical equipment in a home lab environment. although some decent switches like the 3550 gives you the opportunity to practice layer 3 switching, if you decide to go on to ccnp.
  • Options
    cmitchell_00cmitchell_00 Member Posts: 251 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Anyone have an 2600xm config handy since the old config and confreg commands aren't working properly. I think the IOS might be corrupted or I'm just tired as heck and I can't think. If somebody has something let me know signing off...

Side note: I really enjoy Packet Tracer but, gns3 has the voice and security etc. piece which is cool. Now, I know a Cisco instructor who said that Packet Tracer will come out with more features and functionality to compete with GNS3-food for thought.
  • Options
    TheFoX21TheFoX21 Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    cmitchell_00,

Try rebooting your 2600xm and just after it shows the amount of DRAM send a break which should get you into rommon. From rommon try the command "o/r 0x2142" and then "i" to reboot the router with the new configuration register. I had to do something similar with my 3620. This will allow you to reconfigure the router. Hopefully that helps.

To comment on the note from martell1000 about not needing the physical equipment, I've actually learned quite a bit about troubleshooting the equipment itself such as the modules, backplane, power supply, ect. by having the physical equipment present. Although, the sucky part is when you find the bad component and then have to wait for a new one to be shipped. It definitely doesn't hurt to have the equipment if you can afford it.
  • Options
    cmitchell_00cmitchell_00 Member Posts: 251 ■■■□□□□□□□
    TheFoX21,

Thanks alot I did perform that task but, I might have missed an step it's just like when resetting an password on the router. I do have my switches working fine so far. I'll post my lab pics when I get my rack.
  • Options
    JeanMJeanM Member Posts: 1,117
    For Frame Relay I'd suggest a 2600 series router or 3640, 3725 etc. with NM module slot and you can put an NM 4 A/S or NM 8 A/S in there. I would look for eBay and buy a router that already has this module installed. It's usually cheaper that way if you're willing to wait and be a bit patient.

Hi, just wanted to confirm something. Would one be able to setup frame relay using a 2600 or 3600 series with one of the NM 4 A/S cards but if the other routers have the WIC-2T cards that are smart serial? I know that they do have the db60 to smart serial cables, but will the orientation for timing be an issue (like if the smart serial end is marked as DCE, but you really need to make the NM4AS side db60 as the DCE instead)?

Thanks1
    2015 goals - ccna voice / vmware vcp.
  • Options
    RakuraiRakurai Member Posts: 84 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I do believe that they sell the cables with both the Smart Serial either being the DCE or DTE. Here is one example of the Smart Serial being the DTE:

Cisco Smart Serial DTE to DB60 Male Cable, 3', CAB-SS-2660X-3

If you are shopping on Ebay I do know that there are some being sold that label the DTE/DCE side in the pictures, and I believe are 1/2 the price.
  • Options
    JeanMJeanM Member Posts: 1,117
    You are right, they have both configs. Good to go :)
    Rakurai wrote: »
    I do believe that they sell the cables with both the Smart Serial either being the DCE or DTE. Here is one example of the Smart Serial being the DTE:

Cisco Smart Serial DTE to DB60 Male Cable, 3', CAB-SS-2660X-3

If you are shopping on Ebay I do know that there are some being sold that label the DTE/DCE side in the pictures, and I believe are 1/2 the price.
    2015 goals - ccna voice / vmware vcp.