Who would you rather work for

A well respected company in a position that you dislike. Decent chances of moving up within 3 years. No incentive to better oneself (ie certifications, training), Adequate salary and benefits. Almost every employee is happy to be here.

OR

A company known for putting itself ahead of its employees but in a position that matches your desired career. Future potential unknown. Salary is 20% higher. It is in the company's best interest to certify and train employees in order to maintain cisco partner status. Every employee I know dislikes management and the company as a whole.
Working on CCIE Collaboration:
Written Exam Completed June 2015 ~ 100 hrs of study
Lab Exam Scheduled for Dec 2015

Comments

• forestgiantforestgiant Member Posts: 153
    sandman748 wrote: »
    A well respected company in a position that you dislike.

On the premise that it's much easier to change yourself than to change others, I'd choose the first option. Your present opinion could be different once you are a part of the first company.

The second company seems like a deadbeat. You probably cannot be happy long term there if the colleagues all hate senior management.
  • FreeguyFreeguy Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Considering that a large part of job enjoyment has to do with the morale of the place... I'd go with the first option. More pay is enticing, but money doesn't do much for you when you're dreading the drive to work each day. Two cents!
  • TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    A well respected company in a position that you dislike. Decent chances of moving up within 3 years. No incentive to better oneself (ie certifications, training), Adequate salary and benefits. Almost every employee is happy to be here.

OR

A company known for putting itself ahead of its employees but in a position that matches your desired career. Future potential unknown. Salary is 20% higher. It is in the company's best interest to certify and train employees in order to maintain cisco partner status. Every employee I know dislikes management and the company as a whole.

No 1 you rumble along.

No 2 you can get along. Just be prepared to go the extra mile there or you will end up disliking management like the rest. That doesn't just mean working hard. Relate to the management, where they are going and proactively be a part of that, helping them get there. You could be rewarded for it, the others will hate the company. Those that hate management forget very quickly, that the management know they hate them..
  • ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Sounds like you'd like #2 for some time. If things ever go sour, you're well trained and ready to move on. Seems like you'd never be happy at #1 unless you changed who you are.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Definately #2 for me. I always go for higher compensation - nothing else really matters. Thats why its called "work" and not "play". Aslong as there are no ethical issues, I dont care what management thinks.
  • ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    paul78 wrote: »
    Definately #2 for me. I always go for higher compensation - nothing else really matters. Thats why its called "work" and not "play". Aslong as there are no ethical issues, I dont care what management thinks.

What use is money if you're unhappy? A 20% higher salary can still leave you unhappy at the end of the day.

I pick option 3, which is to get the right position (good pay, prospects, AND company) ASAP.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    ptilsen wrote: »
    What use is money if you're unhappy?

I pick option 3, which is to get the right position (good pay, prospects, AND company) ASAP.
    I dont look for happiness at work :) But I like your option 3.
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    @sandman,

It is really up to you. It also depends if you are single or supporting a family.

One option may afford you better long term options. The other may allow you to be a better person while at home.

I can assure you, from experience, job stress due to 'hostile' (simply an environement that seems stressful to you) is extremely draining and very bad for your health long-term. Very much less desirable if you have a family, because no matter how much you try, it will effect them too.

The place where you have to spend the bulk of your day, should be somewhat enjoyable (again, from experience). You can always train for certs on the side at night, or simply negotiate that during your interview. Maybe the company doesn't understand what a certified team can bring to the table? And maybe they don't care? (not a bad thing, but they may simply want qualtiy staff without worrying about certs...just people to do the job and 'think'.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • pacotacopacotaco Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
    #1 until I absolutely, positively just could not stand one more day of it.

Having now seen first hand in 'trial by inferno' the second option, I would consider staying a bit longer and try to find the 'best of both worlds' at someplace other than #2.
    Looking to transfer to WGU to begin Bachelors in IT
  • EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    Option 3, the job that has everything I want. ;)
  • FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    your first choice sounds a lot like the place i currently work for
  • ChooseLifeChooseLife Member Posts: 941 ■■■■■■■□□□

OR

Neither.
    “You don’t become great by trying to be great. You become great by wanting to do something, and then doing it so hard that you become great in the process.” (c) xkcd #896

GetCertified4Less
    - discounted vouchers for certs
  • LaminiLamini Member Posts: 242 ■■■□□□□□□□
    spent too much time in #1

getting bills paid off faster = +happiness
    CompTIA: A+ / NET+ / SEC+
    Microsoft: MCSA 2003
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    If you are at the point where you need more experience in your "desired" area of work, I would have to go with choice #2. Realistically, you're more likely than not going to be changing jobs again in 2-3 years, so wouldn't you be better off with the experience to get you to the next step in your desired career path, and with a higher salary to boot?
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...