CPEs Group

rob1234rob1234 Banned Posts: 151
Hi,

I see that there is a group A and B it says I need 80 A and 40 B how much of each do I need a year I know I need 20 per year but what is the break down from A and B.

Also what do people do to get CPEs for group B? I should be able to get some for Group easy enough but am not sure about Group B.

Comments

• JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,025 Admin
    The idea was that each CISSP cert holder needed 120 CPEs every three years to renew. As you can imagine, people would put off collecting CPEs until almost the last minute and then have a problem when they didnt have enough to renew. So the (ISC)2 changed the requirement to needing a minimum of 20 CPEs per year in either group in addition to paying the AMF.

https://www.isc2.org/maintaining-your-credential.aspx

Group B is anything that can be related to InfoSec that is not specifically in the CISSP CBK. I have applied college classes in computer forensics and computer programming to Group B, and will do so for Cisco Networking Academy courses I'm taking right now. You have some wiggle room in Group B for "InfoSec cross-training," so you can be creative.
  • AlexNguyenAlexNguyen Member Posts: 358 ■■■■□□□□□□
    JDMurray wrote: »
    Group B is anything that can be related to InfoSec that is not specifically in the CISSP CBK.
    According to https://www.isc2.org/uploadedFiles/Credentials_and_Certifcation/About_Our_Credentials_and_Process/CPE.pdf
    Group B credits are related to professional skills activities:
    - Organizational Behavior
    - Strategic Planning
    - Programming Languages & Techniques
    - Tools and Techniques
    - Interpersonal Communications Skills
    - Interviewing Techniques

Those are not related to infosec. I've submitted my time spent for selfstudying ITIL v3 Foundation cert as Group B CPE and it was accepted.
    Knowledge has no value if it is not shared.
    Knowledge can cure ignorance, but intelligence cannot cure stupidity.
    AlexNguyen wrote: »
    - Interpersonal Communications Skills
    - Interviewing Techniques
    Darn, I could have applied the CEUs from those Dale Carnegie courses I took.

Claim the time spent at those Toastmasters meetings too! icon_lol.gif
  • rob1234rob1234 Banned Posts: 151
    I was looking and it says Group B CPEs are optional is this correct?

Thanks,
    Where did you see this?

40 of your 120 CPEs must be from Group B. There are many types of education opportunities that can apply to either group.
  • rob1234rob1234 Banned Posts: 151
    I saw it here or maybe I am reading it wrong?

https://www.isc2.org/minimum-CPEs.aspx in the table section.
  • colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I have always read it as optional as well, to allow credit for somewhat, but not necessarily, training/seminars etc that help you professionally, but are not technical in nature.
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
    I would assume that anything that can be applied as Group A could also be used to satisfy Group B, but not vice versa. If this is true, it could be construed that anything which qualifies as "Group B only" would be optional for the cert holder to obtain.
  • colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Optional, yes - but still counting towards the CPE count (up to the maximum).
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • pinkydapimppinkydapimp Member Posts: 732 ■■■■■□□□□□
    so just to confirm. Are Group B CPE's optional? Or are 40 CPes from group B mandatory?
  • dmoore44dmoore44 Member Posts: 646
    JDMurray wrote: »
    I have applied college classes in computer forensics and computer programming to Group B, and will do so for Cisco Networking Academy courses I'm taking right now. You have some wiggle room in Group B for "InfoSec cross-training," so you can be creative.

Why would you apply the forensics courses to Group B? I would like to think that the case could be made for forensics to fit in to Category A based on the merits that the forensics material falls in to the Legal, Regulations, Compliance, and Investigations domain...

The reason I am interested in this is because I just finished up a C|EH course and would like to apply that to my CPE totals...
    Graduated Carnegie Mellon University MSIT: Information Security & Assurance Currently Reading Books on TensorFlow