Studying for Server+ and scared!

snorth0673snorth0673 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello all, I am a Document Management Administrator at a large law firm. I have 10+ years technical experience, beginning with software training and ending up where I am now. My boss has requested that I sit for the Server+ exam. I ordered the Instructor's manual from CompTIA's website and have ExamCram2 on the way. I have some limited experience with servers -- I've set them up and configured them, but never really done any deep troubleshooting with them. I do not hold any other certs. Do I have a chance to pass Server+ if I study hard? I'm so afraid that lack of an A+ cert is really going to hurt me. Any words of advice or wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

Sheryl

Comments

• whatthehellwhatthehell Member Posts: 920
    Use Jonathan Lau's book (you can grab from Kindle).

It is an excellent and cheap book. I used this in colloboration with the Server+ notes found on this wonderful site.

UniversalFrost (TExam member) also posted some very helpful items as well.

Know SCSI and RAID configs for sure! Good luck!
    2017 Goals:
    [ ] Security + [ ] 74-409 [ ] CEH
    Future Goals:
    TBD
  • BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    LearnSmart has their exam guides on sale through 6pm this evening for a buck. Might splurge and get the Server+ guide. Its not meant for a main source, but for a $1.00? Why not. Just be prepared to get bombarded with phone calls from their sales dept soon afterwards. So use a Google Voice # if you have one.

IT Certification Guides - CCNA MCSE A+ Network Security Certification Guides
  • snorth0673snorth0673 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I just ordered the pocket guides for A+ and Server+, hopefully the info for A+ will help me get up to speed a little more - the books I'm using (CramExam2 and CompTIA's manual for Server+) make reference quite often to A+ so I'm hoping this will help me hit the highlights.

Thanks again!

Sheryl
  • joshmadakorjoshmadakor Member Posts: 495 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I used the official CompTIA book for SK0-003 as well as Transcender and I passed in the low 800's. Pound both HARD and watch youtube videos on SNMP and you will do fine. Make sure you know all Levels of raid **that are in the objectives** like the back of your hand. You WILL be asked many questions on RAID. Note: You don't need to use Transcender to pass, but I used it and passed.
    WGU B.S. Information Technology (Completed January 2013)
  • whatthehellwhatthehell Member Posts: 920
    Congratz! Good job!
    2017 Goals:
    [ ] Security + [ ] 74-409 [ ] CEH
    Future Goals:
    TBD
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    snorth0673 wrote: »
    I just ordered the pocket guides for A+ and Server+, hopefully the info for A+ will help me get up to speed a little more - the books I'm using (CramExam2 and CompTIA's manual for Server+) make reference quite often to A+ so I'm hoping this will help me hit the highlights.

Thanks again!

Sheryl

It will. A lot of the information from the A+ exam shows up on the Server + exam. With that information you can eliminate a lot of the incorrect responses.