How did you guys go through college, alone, or a "celebrity"?

CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
So I'm currently a junior who transferred from a community college working on my bachelors in computer science. At the community college, I knew a small amount of people, one who was a very talented programmer. We used to have some awesome conversations about programming projects, computers, and technology and general. This was about two years ago. I'm finally back on track with my degree and have transferred to the university and it feels like I'm a ghost here... I know not a single soul on the entire campus. I'm currently enrolled in three classes, two of which are online and a third is on campus right after work during the evening. Hopefully, I can get to know people of similar interest when I take more classes that aren't online. I enjoyed at least 2 or 3 people to talk to while on campus each day! I'm not talking about dicking around in the cafe all day doing nothing either like some people do. At the least, I hope to get to know the CS professors well. So how did you guys go through college?
Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens

Comments

• techinthewoodstechinthewoods Member Posts: 96 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I was a celebrity in my own mind.
  • paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I ran the computer labs on the undergrad campus so I was pretty well known to anyone that used computers. But other than that I prefered my privacy.
  • ChickenNuggetzChickenNuggetz Member Posts: 284
    I wasnt an IT or CS major in college. I majored in Classics and our department was relatively small so we all knew each other fairly well. With that said, I mostly kept to myself as most Classics majors were pretentious and arrogant; I usually just hung out with some close friends and I occasionally went drinking with my professors/close friends on Fridays and we'd just chill out and talk about sports or politics. I'd definitely say getting to know the faculty is a great way to build some awesome relationships that could be useful down the road!
    :study: Currently Reading: Red Hat Certified Systems Administrator and Engineer by Ashgar Ghori

Certifications: CCENT; CCNA: R&S; Security+

Next up: RHCSA
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Beer, parties, and women. Pathetically enough school was secondary, but hey I managed to graduate with a 2.7! Woohoo icon_redface.gif
  • paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    CodeBlox wrote: »
    At the least, I hope to get to know the CS professors well. So how did you guys go through college?
    One way that I got to know the CS profs better was to be a teaching assistance. It didnt pay much but it was enjoyable. Mostly grading homework and doing sessions to teach other students ancillary stuff like how to use cimpliers and tools. But I probably spent too much time working and spending time in the labs. I wasnt really into college and doing classwork. I never bother finishing and graduating. To be honest, at this point in my career, there little value to me in finishing my degree.
  • MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Went I first went to college we had a class of 35, during each semester more and more people left. In the end we became a group of friends - some good friends at that, too. But if I were to go back to school I'd completely be there to learn, not make friends.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • joshmadakorjoshmadakor Member Posts: 495 ■■■■□□□□□□
    paul78 wrote: »
    I ran the computer labs on the undergrad campus so I was pretty well known to anyone that used computers. But other than that I prefered my privacy.
    Very similar situation here. I worked a lot in the computer lab and got to know many many people. I also (accidentally) obtained girlfriends this way icon_lol.gif
    WGU B.S. Information Technology (Completed January 2013)
  • KronesKrones Member Posts: 164
    I work as a computer lab aide for a rural community college. I am generally a nice guy and people seem to like to talk to me, but the downside is I do not finish much homework while on the job which ticks me off from time to time, like when I only have one day left for a lab or chapter to read. Work feels like hanging out at the bar than an actual college sans the liquor. I am sure when I move on, I will miss the eagerness of people to bend my ear and tell me all their crazy stories... Maybe... I think at a smaller college you are going to find to find a different atmosphere than at a huge university where you are likely to end up as another face in the crowd.
    WGU - Security
    Current: Start date Sept 1. Remaining:
    CUV1, BOV1, CJV1, CVV1, KET1, KFT1, DFV1, TPV1, BNC1, RIT1, DHV1, CSV1, COV1, CQV1, CNV1, SBT1, RGT1 Completed:
    AXV1, CPV1, CTV1 Transferred: AGC1, BBC1, LAE1, QBT1, LUT1, GAC1/HHT1, QLT1, IWC1, IWT1, INC1, INT1, BVC1, CLC1, WFV1, DJV1
  • FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    join a fraternity...
  • BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    aye Codeblox....what school you go to? i see you're from the 757, i did my undergrad days down there.

I was known by face, but not by name to most, but most pplz knew i was one of the kidz from NY. but then again, it was only 5700 students at my school, so its not huge, and you're gonna see everyone from time to time. I had my main crew, who i rolled with, and being a Comp Tech for my work-study, i was known by those who came to the Writing-Computer Lab alot too.
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • TackleTackle Member Posts: 534
    When I started my IT classes, there were 20 or so people all starting at the same time. During my last quarter, there were only 4 people in my core classes, 2 of us graduated that quarter, the other 2 the next. Needless to say, we became pretty good friends.

Everyone else dropped out for one reason or another...money mostly.
  • CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    BradleyHU wrote: »
    aye Codeblox....what school you go to? i see you're from the 757, i did my undergrad days down there.

I was known by face, but not by name to most, but most pplz knew i was one of the kidz from NY. but then again, it was only 5700 students at my school, so its not huge, and you're gonna see everyone from time to time. I had my main crew, who i rolled with, and being a Comp Tech for my work-study, i was known by those who came to the Writing-Computer Lab alot too.
    I'm going to Old Dominion University, but live in Hampton VA :D I see you went to HU, thats like 5 minutes from where I live and thats where the ceremony was for getting my associates degree.
  • hackman2007hackman2007 Member Posts: 185
    I wouldn't say alone because I had a few friends that I made from IT classes (I went to a 4-year university), but otherwise I did not do much outside of classes. I didn't do much partying, drinking or anything. I could have, but didn't care for it.
    I'm going to Old Dominion University, but live in Hampton VA :D I see you went to HU, thats like 5 minutes from where I live and thats where the ceremony was for getting my associates degree.

I had a feeling you was going to ODU. I didnt think you were @ HU, NSU or CNU...so that only left ODU. man, i should've went to ODU instead of Hampton, I like their CIS program better than HU, but its cool, everything happens for a reason.
    Link Me
  • Heny '06Heny '06 Member Posts: 107
    ODU c/o 2006. Here!! You will find your IT/CS friends especially when you all are trying to complete those difficult programming assignments. Hang out in the lab in constant hall, or there is activity hour where all the cool kids hang. But I will tell you this, once you become a Jr and Sr. all you want to do is graduate. The parties and all that for me at least was freshmen and soph years. It also helps if you lived on compaus rather than commute, you missout on a lot just by being a commuter student rather living on campus or close to it. Good luck, also join AITP. I was president back in 05-06. Have fun and enjoy the Monarch ride, lets go ODU!!! Btw dont step on the seal or your not going to graduate, im sure you heard that. ahh I miss being an undergrad. I'd go back in a heartbeat, being a grownup sucks :)
    Heny '06 wrote: »
    ODU c/o 2006. Here!! You will find your IT/CS friends especially when you all are trying to complete those difficult programming assignments. Hang out in the lab in constant hall, or there is activity hour where all the cool kids hang. But I will tell you this, once you become a Jr and Sr. all you want to do is graduate. The parties and all that for me at least was freshmen and soph years. It also helps if you lived on compaus rather than commute, you missout on a lot just by being a commuter student rather living on campus or close to it. Good luck, also join AITP. I was president back in 05-06. Have fun and enjoy the Monarch ride, lets go ODU!!! Btw dont step on the seal or your not going to graduate, im sure you heard that. ahh I miss being an undergrad. I'd go back in a heartbeat, being a grownup sucks :)

co-sign on going back to being an undergrad in a heartbeat...i do miss that as well. i would have done a few things differently, but majority of things would have remained the same.

Man, i miss the ODU webjams....good times! Also the Blue & White founders day celebration party over @ ODU was always a good time...ahhh, memories! i definitely halla'd at some ODU, NSU & CNU chicks....cant just see the same ole HU chicks all the time...
    Link Me
  • CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Sounds like you had quite a time here lol. I AM a junior currently and frankly i'm just ready to get the degree over with haha. Feels like I've been in school for so long working on this degree.
  • the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I spent my first year on campus and got really tight with those that lived in my hallway. As far as class went, I was tight with some classmates, but talked to just about everybody. I've always been the guy everybody knew and liked, might not have been "friends", but slight more then an acquaintance at least. But like someone said, celebrity in my own mind ha
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • techdudeheretechdudehere Member Posts: 164
    In my case, the classes were often large. I cannot remember any CS professor who was less than friendly. There were a few students I avoided. The best rule to remember is that people will not generally come to you, you'll have to initiate with them. Once you've initiated some conversations, they will become comfortable enough to do the same. In my case, I generally found someone of the opposite sex, sat next to them, and started up chats. You don't have to sit in the same spot all the time either. If things are not going well in one seat, get up and move somewhere else. Being social is one of the most critical skills for a successful career, so University is good place to put those skills to use. One way you can help your professors is by bringing good questions to class or sending an interesting or entertaining link that pertains to the study material. They want to have a fun class too.
  • NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    So I'm currently a junior who transferred from a community college working on my bachelors in computer science. At the community college, I knew a small amount of people, one who was a very talented programmer. We used to have some awesome conversations about programming projects, computers, and technology and general. This was about two years ago. I'm finally back on track with my degree and have transferred to the university and it feels like I'm a ghost here... I know not a single soul on the entire campus. I'm currently enrolled in three classes, two of which are online and a third is on campus right after work during the evening. Hopefully, I can get to know people of similar interest when I take more classes that aren't online. I enjoyed at least 2 or 3 people to talk to while on campus each day! I'm not talking about dicking around in the cafe all day doing nothing either like some people do. At the least, I hope to get to know the CS professors well. So how did you guys go through college?

I didn’t make a lot of friends in college, but now that I think about my time in college, I wish that I did make more friends. I’m just thinking of all the connections I could have had on linked in!!! One guy in one of my classes, and was a network administrator at some military contractor. He even handed me his card, and the weird thing was he pretty old to start, or be in school( I’m thinking he was 50 or 60)…I still remember him saying “I think I will be retired when I graduate.” It would have been nice to talk to him about his job and experiences. Another guy traveled all over the world for his IT job. I still remember my teacher telling me about him, and how this guy had to leave a couple of weeks early, because he had to go to Europe, or something for training. Sure would have been nice to find out what he does or did. Other people in my class just seemed uninteresting to me.

There were a lot people in my school that played games, played on facebook, or were just there to fill a seat. The classic was a guy that came early to class, so that he could play his race car game on his laptop. I tried to avoid those people, because they just had a knack for sucking the energy and focus out of the learning environment.

My advice:

Ask someone for help on an assignment you get stuck on, and that will at least start a conversation. Also, you could ask them about the score they got on their exam, or homework assignment.

Another thing is a lot of IT pros didn’t like to talk about their job, or at least this was my experience while I was in school.
    If you want to become friends with teachers, then you need to show a passion for what they’re teaching and become a star in their class. No don’t kiss their butt or become a teacher’s pet, but become an excellent learner. Do the homework, labs, and ask questions, teachers love students that are engaged and show signs that they’re learning and applying the material.

I would add your friends from your community college to your linked in account. Also, I would try to set up linked relationships with any friends that you meet at your university. These connections can help you latter on down the road in your career.
    Good Luck!
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • XiaoTechXiaoTech Member Posts: 113 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I went to a two year community college, but through some persistence and social engineering, I convinced some important people to sign paperwork to allow me to dual enroll after my second semester at the community college. I was infamous for it. I really wanted to study Japanese and didn't want to waste time with Spanish or waiting until it was time to go to the four year university that had it. I got my way. :) I had some friends at the community college try to do the same thing, but apparently the university chewed them out for allowing me to do it. So NO means NO until you earn 48 credits before dual enrolling.

Yeah...I was a liberal arts major. :P Also, while I wasn't the top of my class in Japanese, I did know a lot more about the "otaku" culture. So I was/still kind of known as the person for obscure Japanese knowledge. Don't ask me anything about history though. :P I wasn't big on samurai's and ninjas. More into the unique, obscure stuff that I really can't put into a category.

I didn't have many friends because of my unique hobbies, but I think it just as well. The few I had were strong. That's what counts for me. :)
  • VAHokie56VAHokie56 Member Posts: 783
    N2IT wrote: »
    Beer, parties, and women. Pathetically enough school was secondary, but hey I managed to graduate with a 2.7! Woohoo icon_redface.gif

Wait I was supposed to go to class at that 4 year long keg party!?!?!?!

Looking back sometimes I envy people who did not go to college directly after high school, they got out in the work field and learned the value an education,certs or any form of higher learning would give them. I will be the first to admit I was a an 18 year old kid who stepped on campus for two reasons...beer and women and pissed my time away there, sure I got a degree in agriculture that I remember ZERO from. Funny how things work out icon_cool.gif
    .ιlι..ιlι.
    CISCO
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish" - Ty Webb
    Reading:NX-OS and Cisco Nexus Switching: Next-Generation Data Center Architectures
  • tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    My first two years of college was at a traditional university. I was doing awesome fresh out of the Marines, had my GI Bill, motivated, dedicated knocked out my first year and even went to summer school to get a hard class out of the way early.

Then my second year I joined a fraternity....

Then I met a girl....

My GPA went in the crapper due to drama and hanging out with my buddies.

Started going back to school 10 years after that lol.
  • bertstarebertstare Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I went to a university that most people commuted to including myself. I spent no time on campus other than in lectures, so I would say alone. Had I lived on campus I would have spent a lot more time with other people on campus.