70-640 Book recommendation?

MeanDrunkR2D2MeanDrunkR2D2 Member Posts: 899 ■■■■■□□□□□
I was looking at purchasing just one book to help with this exam and wanted to find out which one is the best as far as range that it covers for the exam. I do plan also to use either trainsignal or CBT nuggets as well as the transcender test for this exam as well, which is why I do not want to buy multiple books for the exam. Work will only reimburse me so much, so I'm looking to fit under that limit.

Comments

• PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I'd get the Server 2008 R2 unleashed and supplement that with Technet, then. There are some great deals on Amazon, though.
  • ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    MS Press.

If you're going to go through the MCITP:EA track, it might be worthwhile to get R2 Unleashed along with the MS Press collection. Between those, Technet, and a decent set of practice exams, I don't see a strong need for other study materials.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • MeanDrunkR2D2MeanDrunkR2D2 Member Posts: 899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    ptilsen wrote: »
    MS Press.

If you're going to go through the MCITP:EA track, it might be worthwhile to get R2 Unleashed along with the MS Press collection. Between those, Technet, and a decent set of practice exams, I don't see a strong need for other study materials.
    I'll be going on the EA track, already got the 70-680 out of the way, and now will be focusing the rest. I do have the older 70-640 book, but it doesn't have anything on R2 which stinks. Could I use that book and supplement it with the R2 unleashed and be fine?
  • KrunchiKrunchi Member Posts: 237
    Use the R2 Unleashed Book hands down the best R2 book out right now. I would grab the Sybex Windows server r2 complete study guide covers 640,642 and 643 use it for the lab's and general coverage of the topics in the exams Amazon.com: MCTS: Windows Server 2008 R2 Complete Study Guide (Exams 70-640, 70-642 and 70-643) (9780470948460): William Panek: Books

With R2 unleashed the Sybex book and Technet you should have all the information you need to pass these exams.
    Certifications: A+,Net+,MCTS-620,640,642,643,659,MCITP-622,623,646,647,MCSE-246
    Are sybex books better than they used to be 7 years ago? They were horrid when I was in college and full of mistakes and errata.
    Are sybex books better than they used to be 7 years ago? They were horrid when I was in college and full of mistakes and errata.

I found the Sybex book to be on the lighter side. Labs were basic and the material was not as deep as the MS press book, unleashed ones.
  • method115method115 Member Posts: 85 ■■□□□□□□□□
    A lot of people seem to like the R2 unleashed book around here. I found it lacking in some serious areas. For instance AD CS is about 6-7 pages of material. Not nearly enough for a subject that is heavily covered on the exams.

I would get the MS press book. Then you use the R2 unleashed book to help with any subjects you have trouble on and Technet as well.
  • ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I'll be going on the EA track, already got the 70-680 out of the way, and now will be focusing the rest. I do have the older 70-640 book, but it doesn't have anything on R2 which stinks. Could I use that book and supplement it with the R2 unleashed and be fine?

Microsoft has a "What's new in R2" free PDF that largely fills the gap on all of the differences between 08 and R2 for 640, 642, 643, 646, and 647. IMO the study material is best if you get the 2nd Edition (R2 version), but you can make do with the old version and the PDF. The 640 is arguably the easier test of the bunch (it is certainly easier than 643 and 647), so it's not the end of the world either way.

As far as R2 Unleashed, it is simply not as good of a guided certification experience as MS Press, and I will agree that some chapters are really lacking. It has not helped me that much with my problem sections in 643, although I do not regret buying it.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
    ptilsen wrote: »
    Microsoft has a "What's new in R2" free PDF that largely fills the gap on all of the differences between 08 and R2 for 640, 642, 643, 646, and 647. IMO the study material is best if you get the 2nd Edition (R2 version), but you can make do with the old version and the PDF. The 640 is arguably the easier test of the bunch (it is certainly easier than 643 and 647), so it's not the end of the world either way.

As far as R2 Unleashed, it is simply not as good of a guided certification experience as MS Press, and I will agree that some chapters are really lacking. It has not helped me that much with my problem sections in 643, although I do not regret buying it.

Thanks for your advice. Sounds like I'd be best off getting the new version of 70-640 and go on from there. It does seem like the R2 unleashed book is popular amongst many here, but if it doesn't address fully the needs that I have to have to pass the test, it's a non-starter for me in that aspect.

Since I've used Poulton books in the past, are they a good source as well?
  • NobylspoonNobylspoon Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Psoasman wrote: »
    I'd get the Server 2008 R2 unleashed and supplement that with Technet, then. There are some great deals on Amazon, though.

Do you know if that one is on Books24x7?
    WGU PROGRESS

MS: Information Security & Assurance
    Start Date: December 2013
    Nobylspoon wrote: »
    Do you know if that one is on Books24x7?

I haven't checked. I have read both editions of the 642 book and the 2nd edition is updated for R2.
  • NobylspoonNobylspoon Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Psoasman wrote: »
    I haven't checked. I have read both editions of the 642 book and the 2nd edition is updated for R2.

I couldn't find it on there so I ordered from Amazon. Should be here today. I will add it to the overwhelming book pile... :)
    WGU PROGRESS

MS: Information Security & Assurance
    Start Date: December 2013