Packet Pushers podcast with Todd Lammle

wavewave Member Posts: 342
Packet Pushers have just released a podcast with Todd Lammle. They go off topic a little bit but there's still some good stuff in there:

Show 90 – Talking Career with Todd Lammle

For those of you not familiar with Packet Pushers, it's a networking podcast and they cover some seriously geeky and interesting topics at times. There's also a recent one on OSPF vs ISIS.

ROUTE Passed 1 May 2012
SWITCH Passed 25 September 2012
TSHOOT Passed 23 October 2012
Taking CCNA Security in April 2013 then studying for the CISSP

Comments

• vinbuckvinbuck Member Posts: 785 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Love the Packet Pushers, I listen to them all the time on the way to/from work. I've gotten about halfway through the whole series and I feel smarter already icon_smile.gif
    Cisco was my first networking love, but my "other" router is a Mikrotik...
  • ecbanksecbanks Member Posts: 22 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Off-topic? Um, yep. We tend to do that sometimes. But then again, we don't script the shows that heavily. We usually go in with a general outline, and then try to have a conversation. That's pretty much what this show was with Todd. We had a series of questions we started with, but we left it open-ended enough that we could wander off when that's where the conversation took us. So, we ended up with some sections where Greg and Todd go off on cloud computing, the value of VoIP, etc. It was a fun show, and it was nice of Todd to take the time to record.

/Ethan
    /Ethan
  • chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    ecbanks wrote: »
    Off-topic? Um, yep. We tend to do that sometimes. But then again, we don't script the shows that heavily. We usually go in with a general outline, and then try to have a conversation. That's pretty much what this show was with Todd. We had a series of questions we started with, but we left it open-ended enough that we could wander off when that's where the conversation took us. So, we ended up with some sections where Greg and Todd go off on cloud computing, the value of VoIP, etc. It was a fun show, and it was nice of Todd to take the time to record.

/Ethan

Always a pleasure to have a CCIE on the forums, hope to see you around.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.

/Ethan

Ethan,

First off....welcome to TE and thanks for all the time you guys put into recording the show. I have immensely enjoyed it and so have the other engineers I work with that have listened. I love the fact that you guys wander off topic sometimes, it makes for an interesting show and is very much like the conversations we have at work between all the engineers. For those of us who live only in the Service Provider realm, it's nice to hear what's happening in the enterprise and keep up with the latest trends. Good stuff all the way around...
  • wavewave Member Posts: 342
    Fair points. Poor choice of words! Please don't seem them as negatives.

Ethan, both you and Greg are doing a fantastic job with the podcast. Like vinbuck, I too have almost listened to every podcast you guys have made. I especially enjoy the virtual workbench episodes with Mrs Y etc

All the best.

ROUTE Passed 1 May 2012
    SWITCH Passed 25 September 2012
    TSHOOT Passed 23 October 2012
    Taking CCNA Security in April 2013 then studying for the CISSP
    chmorin wrote: »
    Always a pleasure to have a CCIE on the forums, hope to see you around.

Thanks! We'll see how it goes. :)
    /Ethan
    vinbuck wrote: »
    Ethan,

First off....welcome to TE and thanks for all the time you guys put into recording the show. I have immensely enjoyed it and so have the other engineers I work with that have listened. I love the fact that you guys wander off topic sometimes, it makes for an interesting show and is very much like the conversations we have at work between all the engineers. For those of us who live only in the Service Provider realm, it's nice to hear what's happening in the enterprise and keep up with the latest trends. Good stuff all the way around...

Yep - we want the podcast to be nerdy, but we also want it to be fun. So we try to get a little humor or off-topic ranting in there when we can. We actually want to bring in more SP content. That's a side of life that those of us on the enterprise side don't hear much about, but are fascinated by. One of the bloggers that signed up on packetpushers.net recently is from the SP world, and he's written some interesting stuff with more coming.

There's no lack of ideas for shows at this point. It's a little crazy, actually.
    /Ethan
    wave wrote: »
    Fair points. Poor choice of words! Please don't seem them as negatives.

Ethan, both you and Greg are doing a fantastic job with the podcast. Like vinbuck, I too have almost listened to every podcast you guys have made. I especially enjoy the virtual workbench episodes with Mrs Y etc

All the best.

No - I don't see them as negatives. No worries. And hey, even if it was negative, that's fine too - we take all the negatives and try to get better if the criticism is legit.

The virtual workbench shows are the most fun, for sure. We get on our mics and just nerd out.
    /Ethan
  • ShanmanShanman Member Posts: 223
    Great show!! I wish this episode was longer. I have been listening to the podcast now for a few months and have almost blown through the whole series thanks to 2.5 hours in the car a day. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Ethan, do you know if you will have Todd on again?
    Shanman wrote: »
    Ethan, do you know if you will have Todd on again?

Perhaps eventually, but not soon. Todd's a (really) busy guy, plus we have a lot of other content we're working on right now for future shows.
    /Ethan
  • ColbyGColbyG Member Posts: 1,264
    we try to get a little humor

Have Greg say router more.
  • mensmens Member Posts: 69 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Packet Pusers is great. Been listening since since 2010. Thank you Ethan and Greg et al :)
  • Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    Holy crap, it's Ethan!

Big fan of the show, been listening since you guys launched, and some of the things you guys talk about make me go look at new tech, because I've either A) never heard of it before or B) have no clue what you're talking about. So you guys make me step my game up.

Really enjoyed the OSPF vs.IS-IS show, hearing Marko and Ivan go at it is amusing as all hell.
    Really enjoyed the OSPF vs.IS-IS show, hearing Marko and Ivan go at it is amusing as all hell.

I second that...was listening to it on my way into work this morning and it was getting intense icon_smile.gif
  • VAHokie56VAHokie56 Member Posts: 783
    TE has hit the big leagues, we have our own celebrities now! Love the show keep up the good workicon_thumright.gif
    .ιlι..ιlι.
    CISCO
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish" - Ty Webb
    Reading:NX-OS and Cisco Nexus Switching: Next-Generation Data Center Architectures
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Great show. I really enjoyed the discussion on effective study habits.
  • RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    It's hard to listen to the pod cast while I'm doing the ROUTE Lab >.>

"We'll have peace in the middle east if NAT didn't exist." Best Quote, added to signature.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

VAHokie56 wrote: »
    TE has hit the big leagues, we have our own celebrities now! Love the show keep up the good workicon_thumright.gif

ROTFL at "celebrities". Zaphod's just this guy, you know?
    /Ethan
    ROTFL at "celebrities". Zaphod's just this guy, you know?

Yeah TE has massive techie street credit now icon_smile.gif

Now you just need to talk Greg into joining TE!
  • amplifyamplify Member Posts: 17 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Greg sure has a lot of opinions.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    And let's not forget about following all of the Packet Pushers on Twitter:

https://twitter.com/#!/packetpushers
    https://twitter.com/#!/@etherealmind
    https://twitter.com/#!/ecbanks
    https://twitter.com/#!/MrsYisWhy

Mrs. Y's tweets are one of my best sources of tech info on Twitter.

Oh, and Todd's tweets as well: https://twitter.com/#!/lammle
  • spiderjerichospiderjericho Registered Users, Member Posts: 890 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I'm listening to the show now. I've been of the show for the last year and a half. I love listening to Ethan, Tom, Greg and Ivan (Ivan is hilarious with his matter of facts).

And I prefer the shows about emerging topics
    And I prefer the shows about emerging topics

Emerging stuff is fun to yammer about, but we're finding that it does freak some people out. OpenFlow and SDN is making some folks a little worried. "So...uh...do I scrap this whole Cisco thing and start learning OpenFlow?" is typical of some of the e-mails we're getting. Of course, the answer is no, don't **** Cisco yet. The market will take a long time to change.

Some of the emerging stuff is so incredibly cool, though. Just amazing what companies are doing, and the business drivers that are pushing technology forward.
    /Ethan
  • kmcintosh78kmcintosh78 Member Posts: 195
    ColbyG wrote: »
    Have Greg say router more.

Yes... Please. I love hearing the Queens English.
    Rooting, Gah-rage, Al-oo-meenie-um.

But, love the show, listen to everyone.
    What I am working on
    CCNP Route (Currently) 80% done
    CCNP Switch (Next Year)
    CCNP TShoot (Next Year)
  • odysseyeliteodysseyelite Member Posts: 504 ■■■■■□□□□□
    This was the first show I have heard. Interesting points made by them about luck and study habbits. I was also interested in what Todd had to say about the future of IT. Lines up with what I have been seeing as well: get into Enterprise or MSPs enviroments.
    Currently reading: Start with Why: How Great Leaders Inspire Everyone to Take Action
    Lines up with what I have been seeing as well: get into Enterprise or MSPs enviroments.

The cool thing about enterprise environments is that since every company needs a network, enterprise networking skills are very portable.
    /Ethan
  • RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The cool thing about enterprise environments is that since every company needs a network, enterprise networking skills are very portable.

What do you do, ecbanks? Besides being the voice on Packet Pushers? I'm sure I'm not the only one to aspires to be like Turgon :P
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

Roguetadhg wrote: »
    What do you do, ecbanks? Besides being the voice on Packet Pushers? I'm sure I'm not the only one to aspires to be like Turgon :P
    I work mostly for a small-cap company with offices scattered around the globe. I'm responsible for the routing, switching, load balancing, and security (firewalls, VPN, IDS/IPS, etc.). I will probably have WAN optimization added to my plate this year, and possibly VoIP. Sometimes I consult, although I don't have as much time for that as I'd like.
    /Ethan
  • kmcintosh78kmcintosh78 Member Posts: 195

Or get on with a Government Agency.
    What I am working on
    CCNP Route (Currently) 80% done
    CCNP Switch (Next Year)
    CCNP TShoot (Next Year)
    Or get on with a Government Agency.

Or work for a Service Provider and you get to MPLS everyone together (and yes MPLS can be used as a verb because MPLS is JUST that versatile :) )