70-640 Study Plan

GoodBishopGoodBishop Member Posts: 359 ■■■■□□□□□□
So, recently I had won a free Microsoft test voucher - http://www.techexams.net/forums/general-certification/74648-win-microsoft-certification-voucher-deadline-24-feb-12-a.html

Since the last Microsoft exam I have taken was back in 2005, I believe (man, that's a long time thinking about it), I need to get back in the game.

Note that this exam voucher expires May 31. But I'm going to be a father on June 3rd, so this means that May is out timewise. Plus I am balancing the hardest class in grad school at this time as well (managerial finance). So I need to do this around mid-April.

Thus, here are my plans in order to obtain this certification, in the most efficient and cost-effective manner possible:

Obtain the MCTS Self-Paced Training Kit (Exam 70-640): Configuring Windows Server 2008 Active Directory (Self-Paced Training Kits) [Paperback] by Dan Holme (the R2 version, published 7/15/11 - cost: 41.29
Obtain the MCTS 70-640 Exam Cram: Windows Server 2008 Active Directory, Configuring by Don Poulton - cost: 27.99
Obtain the Windows Server 2008 R2 Unleashed by Morimoto - cost: 37.32

I'm adding the Exam Cram in there because I studied with Exam Cram back ages ago, I had a Exam Cram for every Microsoft test I took, and I never failed a single one. Sure, I know it's a bit out of date publish-wise, but I'm ok with that.

Research practice tests. I've used MeasureUp before, but I'd like to see if there are any other contenders that are updated for R2. It looks like they do have it, and 30 days would be $79, well worth the cost.

I have access to the software through grad school and the MSDNAA (free software, legally, which is awesome), so I have all the server software.

This weekend I need to cobble together a desktop and put Server 2008 on it, and start cracking.

Total Cost: 185.60

Not bad, not bad. Time to get to work!

If anybody has any suggestions on additional items, feel free to chime in.

Comments

• kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    You may want to double check on that voucher first. I talked with Ed about this and he implies that it is for an MCP/MCSA test. He made it sound like it wouldn't work with the new MCTS/MCITP tests. I would be curious to find out which way it ends up working. In the end though I didn't win one so it sucks. Oh well.
  • PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    It states the voucher is for an MCP exam, which will limit you on what you can take.
  • GoodBishopGoodBishop Member Posts: 359 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Psoasman wrote: »
    It states the voucher is for an MCP exam, which will limit you on what you can take.
    Good point - let me try registering for a exam before ordering the materials.
    You may want to double check on that voucher first. I talked with Ed about this and he implies that it is for an MCP/MCSA test. He made it sound like it wouldn't work with the new MCTS/MCITP tests. I would be curious to find out which way it ends up working. In the end though I didn't win one so it sucks. Oh well.
    Well, I was able to register for free for the 70-640 exam - the voucher worked just fine! So, my plan has been put into action!
  • kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Nice! Glad it ended up working for you.
  • it2bit2b Member Posts: 117
    I used the training kit and a "Self Test" practice test and study guide. The $25 study guide was a great review tool and well worth the extra bucks.

I don't care for the Unleashed books lately. I prefer the "Inside Out books".

Toughest topic for me was Cetificates on the 70-640. Read a lot of technet stuff on that topic as well.
    Books have arrived. Working on setting up study lab.
  • NobylspoonNobylspoon Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Psoasman wrote: »

From what I understand, MCP is a term still used for current exams. I was awarded my MCP when I completed an MCTS exam. It was a welcome surprise when I logged into my account since I thought that went away with the 2003 certs.
    WGU PROGRESS

MS: Information Security & Assurance
    Start Date: December 2013
  • cruwlcruwl Member Posts: 341 ■■□□□□□□□□
    GoodBishop wrote: »
    Well, I was able to register for free for the 70-640 exam - the voucher worked just fine! So, my plan has been put into action!

Glad to here it works, as I too won a voucher from tomsITpro.com, was pretty sure it would work for the 70-640 as that is the test I'm also going to use mine on. Good luck!