Options

Odd issue with USB wireless card in workstation

exampasserexampasser Member Posts: 718 ■■■□□□□□□□
For some reason I'm unable to connect to my wireless network in a Windows VM on my desktop PC (tried both my Windows 7 and XP VM and have the same problem) but when I attach the device to the host OS it's able to do so. The issue started a few days ago and I made no changes to Workstation or the host. I decided to copy the VM over to my laptop and when I ran the VM on my laptop I had no problems. I completely uninstalled and reinstalled Workstation on my desktop yet the issue still persists. Both PC's have VMware Workstation 8 installed.

Comments

• Options
    vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Do you have a USB Controller enabled on the VM?
  • Options
    vCole wrote: »
    Do you have a USB Controller enabled on the VM?
    I do. The VM can see my wireless card, but when I try to connect to the wireless network it almost always fails, occasionally it will work.
  • Options
    Odd ,when I installed the card manufacturers' wifi utility I was able to connect just fine. I used to be able to use the Windows wifi utility without any problems.

EDIT: I still haven't found the source of the problem. The card manufacturers' wifi utility goes nuts if I don't have the card plugged in on boot of the VM.
  • Options
    Still can't find the source of the problem, the only other thing I can think of is an issue with the host OS.
  • Options
    I installed Windows on another disk, installed VMware workstation and the issue still persists. Makes absolutely no sense.