New CCIE: Data Center cert

ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
CCIE Data Center: It’s On Like Donkey Kong « The Data Center Overlords
If you go to the Ciscolive Virtual Session catalog (you can sign up to the site for free), and take a look at BRKCRT-1612. It lists the topics covered in the blueprint as:
  • Cisco Nexus 7000, 5000, 2000, 1000v
  • Cisco ACE 4710 (and presumably the GSS)
  • Cisco MDS
  • UCS
  • Catalyst 3750 (really?)
Currently reading:
IPSec VPN Design 44%
Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%

Comments

• darkerzdarkerz Member Posts: 431 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It's curious, to say the least. I like this approach. If you're working primarily in the ISP/MSP world and are experienced and talented, this cert would make you stand way the hell out. I'll look into it more, thanks!
    :twisted:
  • QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    I'd like to see how they flesh out the path to it. CCNA>CCNP>CCIE Datacenter is not going to work. They'll need to incorporate the DCNI/DCUC/etc stuff into a CCNP-like setup. I don't even know how CCNA would work although there is a CCT Datacenter. Otherwise it will end up like Storage with no direct pathing or advancement and will die out.
  • ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    They'll need to incorporate the DCNI/DCUC/etc stuff into a CCNP-like setup.
    I'm actually hoping they do this. There's no material for the DCNI/DCUC stuff right now.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
  • vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
  • RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    CCIE: Storage Network doesn't have a NP or NA equal. It's just there. I can't remember off the top of my head (I think it's SP Ops), isn't really self-study supported either. Those are exams, if passed - yeah you're a bit different :)

Honestly it seems from reading the certification tracks the most-thought of are Routing and Switching as well as Design.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

vCole wrote: »
    The official CCIE Data Center topic list: https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/docs/DOC-13992

Good stuff right here. I was suspect the lab equipment will consist of many things that will not be economically feasible to host at home.
  • RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Ask help from work.
    Take out a small loan.
    Credit Cards.
    Band together with a group of your peers and buy it.
    I'm sure you could find racks - or something like that.

My point is - you'll find a way :)
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• ColbyGColbyG Member Posts: 1,264
    QHalo wrote: »
    not be economically feasible to host at home.

Not a chance. To get this cert one will have to use company-provided lab gear or lots of hands-on with production equipment.
    Lab equipment here:
    https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/docs/DOC-13968
    • Cisco Catalyst Switch 3750
    • Cisco 2511 Terminal Server
    • MDS 9222i
    • Nexus7009
      • (1) Sup
      • (1) 32 Port 10Gb (F1 Module)
      • (1) 32 Port 10Gb (M1 Module)
    • Nexus5548
    • Nexus2232
    • Nexus 1000v
    • UCS C200 Series Server
      • vic card for c-series
    • UCS-6248 Fabric Interconnects
    • UCS-5148 Blade Chassis
      • B200 M2 Blade Servers
      • Palo mezzanine card
      • Emulex mezzanine card
    • Cisco Application Control Engine Appliance - ACE4710
    • Dual attached JBODs

I have access to all of this at work except for the ACE, MDS 9222 and the C series server.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Official reading list:https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/docs/DOC-13986
    Data Center Fundamentals(ISBN-10: 1-58705-023-4)
    NX-OS and Cisco Nexus Switching (ISBN-10: 1-58705-892-icon_cool.gif
    Cisco Unified Computing System (UCS) (ISBN-10: 1-58714-193-0)
    I/O Consolidation in the Data Center (ISBN-10: 1-58705-888-X)
    Storage Networking Fundamentals (ISBN-10: 1-58705-162-1)
    Just bought the NX-OS book. There are 2nd editions of this and the UCS book coming out in September FYI. I'm going to substitute EMC's Information Storage & Management for Storage Networking Fundamentals which I already own but haven't gotten around to reading. I'm hoping/guessing the EMC book is better since it is 5 years more current. It also gets rave reviews from TE members.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
  • skinsFan202skinsFan202 Member Posts: 87 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Cisco has said that they will be offering online rack rentals consisting of all the equipment on the blueprint in September
    I'm done the first 4 chapters in the NX-OS book. So far it appears to be nothing more than a "this is how you configure X under NX-OS compared to how you did it in IOS". Good reference book, but don't expect much else. It assumes you already have a CCNP level of knowledge on the topics it covers. Up to this point they've gone over STP, VLANs, PVLANs, VRFs, OSPF, EIGRP, BGP, FHRPs, IGMP and multicast routing. Also introduces virtual contexts and virtual port-channels, but nothing in depth. Chapters 6-9 looks to be where most of the "new" stuff most people would be interested in is.

Only $25 for the Kindle edition, so it's not too bad.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Yeah I think I'm going to dig into CCNP and start getting myself prepared. I just finished up VCP5 so I want to keep the momentum going.
  • spiderjerichospiderjericho Registered Users, Member Posts: 890 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Wow, that is an expensive cert.

If you work in a data center environment (and have a lab) or work for a Partner/company willing to pay for it, then it seems pretty feasible.

The only alternative is to go to one of the big vendors like INE/Narbik/360 and pay for course materials and rack time.

It seems like only the Voice, Routing, Security and to a lesser degree Design and Wireless tracks are fleshed out as far as self study materials, support groups, etc.

I'm still waiting to see Service Provider self-study materials.