Options

Some say that qualifications are not required for pentesting career? They are wrong?

listerlister Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
I was thinking of taking CEH - Certified Ethical Hacker or a similar qualification. On a few other forums that I have looked at they say that don't bother with attaining a qualification like that to become a pentester. What do you guys think? I am of the opinion that it would 100% help....

Comments

• Options
    dead_p00ldead_p00l Member Posts: 136
    Certifications are pretty much the same for most areas of networking and IT. They usually manage to get your foot in the door, get past the phone screening and into an actually face to face interview but most specialized fields will have a technical portion to the interview where your knowledge and skill will mean more than a piece of paper.
    This is our world now... the world of the electron and the switch, the
    beauty of the baud.
  • Options
    dead_p00l wrote: »
    ......your knowledge and skill will mean more than a piece of paper.

How do you demonstrate your knowledge and skill? I guess by doing things like being active in the community, writing white papers, contributing to projects etc - any other ideas that spring to mind? Thanks
  • Options
    dead_p00ldead_p00l Member Posts: 136
    Things like that can help but i meant more along the lines of a technical interview process. Perfect example would be my current job. When I interviewed for the position i had the normal sit down interview with some technical questions but then there was a hands on technical portion. In a lab environment i was give a couple of tasks that were within the skill level that was presented on my resume. Not all employers have a hands on technical interview but it's becoming more commonplace.
    This is our world now... the world of the electron and the switch, the
    beauty of the baud.
  • Options
    That's good advice thanks