Why is XP used in so many shop terminals?

listerlister Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
Anyone else notice how often you see XP as an OS for cash terminals? Just wondered why? I know that XP has a reputation as being a solid OS, less so Vista and very good with W7

Comments

• colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Because it came out over 11 years ago, and had vista not sucked so bad, more might have upgraded. Plus, POS terminals aren't usually resource intensive, so if it ain't broke...
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    colemic wrote: »
    Because it came out over 11 years ago, and had vista not sucked so bad, more might have upgraded. Plus, POS terminals aren't usually resource intensive, so if it ain't broke...

Agreed. It's the age of the systems and the time it takes to develop a new one and train people on it. There's generally little incentive to replace them proactively. I would expect to see XP on such systems well past EoL.

There's still some 9x and NT systems out there running legacy hardware and software that organizations haven't replaced. Unlike NT and 9x, XP is rock stable and has extremely wide hardware compatibility and will for the foreseeable future.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • NOLAJNOLAJ Member Posts: 490
    I think 5-10 years from now the same thing will be said for Windows 7. Like the others said, just solid OS's.
    WGU - MBA: I.T. Management --> Graduated!!

WGU -
    B.S. Information Technology—Network Administration --> Graduated!!

:thumbup:
  • discount81discount81 Member Posts: 213
    I was at the self paying terminal at the movies a few months back, and my terminal crashed, I noticed after it rebooted it was running Windows 98..
    XP will be seen around for a while yet due to the very low adoption rate of Vista.
    http://www.darvilleit.com - a blog I write about IT and technology.
  • panikpanik Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
    There is also the issue of the hardware platform that these sort of device run on.

Industrial PCs and POS terminals tend to have very long life times with little chance to repair, upgrade or replace hardware. They also need to be as cheap as possible while running for years in hot, dusty exposed environments.

So they end up being PCs that are 3 or 4 years behind the latest and greatest.

It is only when it is cheaper to replace the platform with new hardware, a new OS and re-write the custom applications that they run that they will be upgraded.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Getting programmers to spend weeks re-writing a application is more expensive than you think.
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I rebooted one of those touch screen games that sits on the bar a few weeks ago and was surprise to see Windows 98 pop up and launch a batch file.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Complete_IT_ProfessionalComplete_IT_Professional Member Posts: 53 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I was in a department store a few months ago and saw their cash register computers running some kind of custom DOS program.

I just about cringed! icon_cry.gif
    I run CompleteITProfessional.com - a website dedicated to helping IT professionals improve their careers.
  • Corndork2Corndork2 Member Posts: 266
    Fun fact -- Most POS Terminals used to be Windows 95, but MSFT finally end of life'd it, causing everyone to go to XP. Before that, it was Windows 3.1.

POS Terminals are so light weight and low power that they need a light weight OS. Win 7, and Win Vista are definitely not that, leaving just one other candidate -- XP. And I'm sure it will be here for quite some time longer.
    Brocade: BAIS, BACNS, BAEFS Cisco: CCENT, CCNA R&S CWNP: CWTS Juniper: JNCIA-JUNOS
    CompTIA: A+ (2009), Network+ (2009), A+ CE, Network+ CE, Security+ CE, CDIA+
    Mikrotik: MTCNA, MTCRE, MTCWE, MTCTCE VMware: VCA-DV Rackspace: CloudU
  • datgirldatgirl Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
    As others have pointed out, Windows XP isn't very resource-intensive, i.e. it doesn't require much memory or a powerful or newer CPU. As such I will use it as a pen-testing client, or for end-users of mine that have very basic computing needs. Of late I have also been using XP mode on VMs quite a bit, as it doesn't require a license key, its sole requirement is that the host you are running it on is genuine. XP mode info: Install and use Windows XP Mode in Windows 7
  • danny069danny069 Member Posts: 1,025 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I still use windows xp because to me, it is the last raw os out there, I feel like you can do anything on it, with just 2gb ram that baby flies lol.
    I am a Jack of all trades, Master of None
  • jmritenourjmritenour Member Posts: 565
    The ultrasound machine at my wife's obgyn runs Windows 3.1.
    "Start by doing what is necessary, then do what is possible; suddenly, you are doing the impossible." - St. Francis of Assisi
  • WafflesAndRootbeerWafflesAndRootbeer Member Posts: 555
    jmritenour wrote: »
    The ultrasound machine at my wife's obgyn runs Windows 3.1.

A LOT of older medical/scientific/industrial/commercial equipment and associated software doesn't run on anything beyond XP. It wasn't until the last couple of years that many makers of such equipment moved to USB from the old serial ports.
  • blueberriesblueberries Banned Posts: 138
  • phdillardphdillard Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    ever use the system at a pizza place like Papa John's? It's like staring at Neo's screen in The Matrix.
  • tist005tist005 Member Posts: 11 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Was walking through the lobby at work a couple weeks ago to find a technician working on the atm.. running windows xp. I was suprised that they don't use some proprietary or less common OS.
  • petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    tist005 wrote: »
    Was walking through the lobby at work a couple weeks ago to find a technician working on the atm.. running windows xp. I was suprised that they don't use some proprietary or less common OS.

There used to be a lot of OS/2 on those.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • BillHooBillHoo Member Posts: 207 ■■■□□□□□□□
    ptilsen wrote: »
    Agreed. It's the age of the systems and the time it takes to develop a new one and train people on it. There's generally little incentive to replace them proactively. I would expect to see XP on such systems well past EoL.

There's still some 9x and NT systems out there running legacy hardware and software that organizations haven't replaced. Unlike NT and 9x, XP is rock stable and has extremely wide hardware compatibility and will for the foreseeable future.

I would agree with all of the above and add that most of the Zero Day attacks have also been worked out.

Newer OS have a lot of unknowns and when you are dealing with cash registers, you want something that has had the security kinks worked out of it.
  • TheNewITGuyTheNewITGuy Member Posts: 169 ■■■■□□□□□□
    took the kids to chuck e cheese and most of the games run linux apparently - verified this also at a smoke shop where DDR was setup and had to be rebooted.
  • WafflesAndRootbeerWafflesAndRootbeer Member Posts: 555
    I just read an article that states that the majority of ATMs in the world - and almost ALL of the ones in the USA - are running Windows XP. Looks like an upgrade is in order!
  • kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    [REMOVED UNNECESSARY QUOTED REPLY]

The company I am at the wireless Kiosks even run on it.

When I worked at a hospital about 2 years ago the issue was custom applications needed to be updated to run on newer versions of IE which was a pain in the butt to get the company to do.