Which is your preferred distro?

listerlister Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
I have used ubuntu (which I loved until the Unity Design came out which was terrible IMO). I now use backtrack to learn pentesting but was wondering what you guys are all using?

Ubuntu mint and openSUSE (Novell) are also really nice distros.

What do you guys use? Is it a job specific distro that you use?

Comments

• dead_p00ldead_p00l Member Posts: 136
    I honestly don't prefer one distro over another at this point. with the exception of newer distros i've pretty much tried them all at some point and time. Started with Slackware, went to Redhat and Caldera, Debian, SUSE. Linux is pretty much Linux. Lately ive been running Centos(RHEL non-commercial) lately just because that's what is used in our corporate environment.
    This is our world now... the world of the electron and the switch, the
    beauty of the baud.
  • techinthewoodstechinthewoods Member Posts: 96 ■■□□□□□□□□
    CentOS preferably.

Fedora16 is ok too so far.
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I use Red Hat for servers and Ubuntu for desktops
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • jpearljpearl Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I use Red Hat for servers and Ubuntu for desktops

Same here except I use both mint and Ubuntu for desktop and CentOS for servers.

Ubuntu is by far the easiest if you are new to the *nix world.
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    RHEL 5.5 and 6
    SUSE too.
  • KenCKenC Member Posts: 131
    I have used CentOS for servers, but have used Ubuntu server recently and found it to be very easy to use. I found the documentation to be good too (which is a plus as I really don't use Linux on a regular / daily basis). Don't use it as a desktop OS at all, I stick to Windows for that.
  • davidspirovalentinedavidspirovalentine Member Posts: 353 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Another vote for CentOS :)
    Failure is a stepping stone to success...
  • paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I have a control problem so I built my own a while back. I wanted one that I could fit on a floppy. Then I found LFS which is what I started to use.
  • wolfinsheepsclothingwolfinsheepsclothing Member Posts: 155
    I use Fedora both at home and work.
  • JeanMJeanM Member Posts: 1,117
    I started on Slackware 2.0.xx kernel, so that's probably still my favorite distro. I do like Fedora as well, and used Caldera,Suse and Ubuntu. I really don't like Ubuntu very much though.
    2015 goals - ccna voice / vmware vcp.
  • zipolinizipolini Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    hi there,
    that's my first post here :)
    started my adventure with linux with mandrake, tried many other distros, but my favourite one for years now is debian and as guy above me not really a fan of ubuntu ;)
  • LenniusceLenniusce Member Posts: 114 ■■■■□□□□□□
    CentOS, anything outside of Redhat is scoffed at in workplaces.
    In Progress: CCNA:DEVNET or CISSP Done: PMP | A+ | N+ | S+ | L+ | P+ | MCSA 2016 | CCNA | CCNA:S(exp) | LPIC1(exp) | MBA IT Management | MS Information Systems
  • Jayjett90Jayjett90 Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I been trying to learn Linux and I started and I am still using Fedora 16. I like it so far. I actually started with Ubuntu but never got into it, no reason why, just at that time I wasn't really into Linux I guess.
  • brownwrapbrownwrap Member Posts: 549
    Lenniusce wrote: »
    CentOS, anything outside of Redhat is scoffed at in workplaces.

Perhaps in the US, but SUSE has a big presence in Europe.
  • jonenojoneno Member Posts: 257 ■■■■□□□□□□
  • ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Centos for me,
    Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "
  • mgmguy1mgmguy1 Member Posts: 485 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Fedora 16 and Gentoo are the two destros I have used. Once I am done with my CCNA classes I am going to take a Linux class on-line and get the skills to start earn some money.
    "A lot of fellows nowadays have a B.A., M.D., or Ph.D. Unfortunately, they don't have a J.O.B."

Fats Domino
  • petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    Ubuntu, usually. Figured out the other day that if I run 11.10 in Gnome Classic mode, it hauls. It was pretty slow before with all the Unity overhead.

I really like Mint's interface, but the distro is such a resource hog I'd almost have to have a brand new laptop to run it.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • onesaintonesaint Member Posts: 801
    CentOS / RHEL at work for servers and desktops.

Scientific, RHEL, and CentOS at home.
    Work in progress: picking up Postgres, elastisearch, redis, Cloudera, & AWS.
    Next up: eventually the RHCE and to start blogging again.

Control Protocol; my blog of exam notes and IT randomness
  • shred805shred805 Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    debian squeeze for me
  • MstavridisMstavridis Member Posts: 107
    I wish some of you Linux fan boys would jump on the FreeBSD bandwagon with me.
  • ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I run ArchLinux on my work laptop. I've stood up a few test servers that run either FreeBSD or Scientific, but nothing really that serious.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • LanswitcherLanswitcher Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Mstavridis wrote: »

What do you like about FreeBSD? I'm not asking rhetorically. I know it's got lot of options for packet filtering. I started with BSD a long time ago. But that was at work. Started with Slackware at home, but it's either Centos or Scientific Linux for me right now.
  • ChooseLifeChooseLife Member Posts: 941 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Mstavridis wrote: »
    I was a FreeBSD & Slackware guy long ago, and was advocating them as much as I could. The reality of the business world, however, turned me to RHEL and Ubuntu Server - for some strange reason, it was harder to find a company eager to migrate all of their production to my favorite distro/OS, than for me to be flexible about my preferences :D

With the exception of Gentoo (which I never had guts for) and mainframe Unices (which I never had access to), I worked with most if not all variations of Unix and Linux, and by this time no longer have strong preferences... Whatever a company pays me to manage, I manage...
    “You don’t become great by trying to be great. You become great by wanting to do something, and then doing it so hard that you become great in the process.” (c) xkcd #896

GetCertified4Less
    - discounted vouchers for certs
  • ChooseLifeChooseLife Member Posts: 941 ■■■■■■■□□□
    What do you like about FreeBSD?
    For me, it was cleanliness and simplicity of the scripts logic, and the ports collection that was much easier to use, comparing to major Linux distros suffering from dependency hell at the time. Granted, both of these benefits likely stemmed from the fact that the FreeBSD ecosystem was much, much smaller....
    “You don’t become great by trying to be great. You become great by wanting to do something, and then doing it so hard that you become great in the process.” (c) xkcd #896

GetCertified4Less
    - discounted vouchers for certs
  • WafflesAndRootbeerWafflesAndRootbeer Member Posts: 555
    In the past, I've used Fedora and OpenSUSE, but now I stick with Ubuntu. I haven't installed the latest LTS as I have been using the previous one, so I haven't been using Unity.
  • alxxalxx Member Posts: 755
    Fedora with xfce for my own use (gets rid of the gnome bloat), redhat for work.

Redhat as the commercial packages I'm using only support it (xilinx )
    though it can be made to run on most distros.

I find fedora easier for development as it has the more recent packages.

But have no problems using fedora, redhat/centos, debian or ubuntu or the arm linux versions including openembedded angstrom. Started with slackware 2.

Regardless of your favourite you should be able to use most distros, it just takes a bit of practise.

The freebsd ports collection is nice (what the mac ports collections were based off).
    Goals CCNA by dec 2013, CCNP by end of 2014
  • DarraghOConghaileDarraghOConghaile Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi Lister
    Try Linux Mint 12 Lisa its a good platform , light years ahead of latest Ubuntu offering.
  • log32log32 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 217
  • kaytauruskaytaurus Member Posts: 28 ■■■□□□□□□□