ucertify? Legit study material or test ****?

Is ucertify another test-**** company or do they actually produce legit study material? I only ask because the only third party study material that I could find for ECSA is a book from ucertify (pretty sure its self-published) on Amazon.com

Comments

• NobylspoonNobylspoon Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
    uCertify is legit. We use them for a majority of certifications at WGU.
    WGU PROGRESS

MS: Information Security & Assurance
    Start Date: December 2013
  • the_hutchthe_hutch Banned Posts: 827
    Thanks. Good to know. I may purchase their book then, which is only $30 as opposed to the official EC Council 5 book series which would run about $200. Have you been happy with the quality of the study material you have gotten from them?
  • alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Anytime you're wondering if something is legit or a ****:

CertGuard | IT Certification Exam Security & Integrity

And FWIW - Certguard says ucertify is legit.
  • NOLAJNOLAJ Member Posts: 490
    I second what Nobyl said. The practice tests are pretty good.
    Your preparations are what's important.
    WGU - MBA: I.T. Management --> Graduated!!

WGU -
    B.S. Information Technology—Network Administration --> Graduated!!

:thumbup:
  • tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    They are legit and their practice tests are not even remotely similar or even cover the required subject material (at least from my experience with the CEH).
  • TeKniquesTeKniques Member Posts: 1,262 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I agree with tpatt100

I used it for the SSCP and it was not very good at all (outdated was main problem).
  • jmasterj206jmasterj206 Member Posts: 471
    Ucertify is legit. I find it very hit or miss for the exams. The 70-680 Ucertify was useful, but the 70-640 series wasn't.
    WGU grad
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Ewwwwwwww from some of your testimonials Ucert sounds like a less then superior product. I think I'll pass on these for any technical training.
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    For CIW exams they're excellent....

For anything else....not so much.
    erpadmin wrote: »
    For CIW exams they're excellent....

For anything else....not so much.

That's been the problem with training material. One vendor does a bang up job in one area of technology and then not so much in another. In fact you see that happen within the same technology within the same vendor. (That sentence was like a nested if statement) :)

Either way good to know about Ucert.

I'm not a 100% sure but I think it was CBT Nuggets. A lot of people said their CCNA CBT was excellent but I can say from personal experience their PMP CBT was below average.
  • petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    uCertify= Great CIW materials, OK Oracle materials depending on exam. Seem to remember they were handy for Project+ as well.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • NobylspoonNobylspoon Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Ucertify is legit. I find it very hit or miss for the exams. The 70-680 Ucertify was useful, but the 70-640 series wasn't.

Thanks for the warning. I was going to work on that material after I finish the Labsim stuff next week. I picked up the MSPress books so I will just practice test with Measureup and Labsim. Hopefully my mentor doesn't press me to use uCertify material though.
    WGU PROGRESS

MS: Information Security & Assurance
    Start Date: December 2013
  • Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
    How are they for Cisco exams? I've got access to uCertifiy through WGU, haven't looked at it yet though.
    Fantastic. The project manager is inspired.

In Progress: 70-640, 70-685
  • Todd BurrellTodd Burrell Member Posts: 280
    For Cisco you should use the Boson exams - and if you have the money Transcender is very good as well. Ucertify was fine for the MS exams, but I would not recommend it for Cisco.
    For Cisco you should use the Boson exams - and if you have the money Transcender is very good as well. Ucertify was fine for the MS exams, but I would not recommend it for Cisco.

Thanks for the clarification. I was always of the assumption that they were good for Cisco. I stand corrected.
  • PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Nobylspoon wrote: »
    Thanks for the warning. I was going to work on that material after I finish the Labsim stuff next week. I picked up the MSPress books so I will just practice test with Measureup and Labsim. Hopefully my mentor doesn't press me to use uCertify material though.

My mentor asked me about using uCertify until I sent in 9 screenshots with everything from missing words to questions with no answers to choose from. Now, this is for the 642 exam. The 640 had the same mistakes, just less of them.

Here's an actual question:

Your assistant asks about which OS support NAP:
    A. Windows Vis
    B. Server 200
    C. XP Service pack 1
    D. XP service pack

Makes it a bit hard to figure out, when there is missing information.
    Psoasman wrote: »
    My mentor asked me about using uCertify until I sent in 9 screenshots with everything from missing words to questions with no answers to choose from. Now, this is for the 642 exam. The 640 had the same mistakes, just less of them.

A. Windows Vis
    B. Server 200
    C. XP Service pack 1
    D. XP service pack

Trash comes to mind. That is really bad!
  • Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    I liked UCertify for my CCNA studies
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • alatheaalathea Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I second this with regard to the CEH Ver7 , and possibly the CHFI Ver8 that I'm about to take today. Ive used CBT nuggets, Ucertify, and EC-Councils books, and all three are dazzlingly different in approach. My experience with the CEH and Ucertify did not make me feel very comfortable using them again for the CHFI, but I had access via WGU, so I still studied it.
    BS Information Systems Management 2008 Doane College
    MS Information Security and Assurance 2013 WGU
  • PudaPuda Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Psoasman wrote: »

A. Windows Vis
    B. Server 200
    C. XP Service pack 1
    D. XP service pack

They are also missing entire sections of the course! I have been extremely disappointed with their CIW Web Foundation Associate course. In some section, entire paragraphs are simply missing! It's just blank.

For example you will find:

The HTTP Protocol :

Brute Force Attack :

Worm and Virus :

That's litteraly how it looks like. A title and NO text.

I contacted them many times to fix that and they never replied to me. They just replied when I asked after several attempts for a full refund and they told me "We are updating the course, please wait for 2 more months". REALLY?!!!

I have bought the prepkit in January and I am still waiting for the course update. We are almost in June now. And according to terrible reviews all over the web, the access to the course is limited. After a certain amount of time, uCertify will ask you to pay more to access it!!
    Also, they obviously don't refund you if you fail the test.

Honnestly, I will stay away from them. I feel like I spent $119 for nothing.

** Just wanted to add that as of 09/06 they actually refunded me half of the price of the course. Took 4 months and MANY emails to customer service though. **
  • olaHaloolaHalo Member Posts: 748 ■■■■□□□□□□
    So far the only reliable source for study for me has been books.
  • jmritenourjmritenour Member Posts: 565
    They legitimately suck. As others have said, WGU uses them, and their test prep was painful. I would never pay actual money for anything they put out.
    "Start by doing what is necessary, then do what is possible; suddenly, you are doing the impossible." - St. Francis of Assisi
  • desertjumperdesertjumper Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    thanks for the tip
  • planetbobplanetbob Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I checked uCert out for the 70-461 MS SQL Server exam, it seemed decent enough but even the 15 question demo had some errors. I've used Transcender and MeasureUp, I'd put uCert somewhere in between. Like others have said, it's probably a matter of which test. For the 70-461, they were much better than MeasureUp (which really sucks for the 70-461) and slightly easier (more realistic?) than Transcender, although for the price you get a lot more than with Transcender. I didn't look at the study materials for uCert as I already have that covered.

I would probably buy the uCert package if I hadn't already shelled out major bucks for Transcender as there are more questions and flashcards with uCert.
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I have to echo what others have said here. I looked at them for some of the development certs from MS and their questions were not really all that good. I looked at two that were practice test oriented but the material was just too easy.
  • NatBeNatBe Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I’m loving uCertify for Security+ SYO-501. Took the exam on Monday and failed, but a lot of the material was on the exam. I feel the materials prep you and it’s not dry since there are videos and lots of quizzes and real world scenarios along the way, along with 55 labs to get more hands on, real world. One of the quiz questions was one of the long winded questions at the beginning of the test—drag and drop the best physical security to the appropriate place in the office diagram. Almost exactly the same as in the exam. The materials I got were about $160 total and that’s a really good deal IMO.