Taking 70/73-640 this weekend - no sims? Seriously?

So as I understand it, none of the MCITP exams have sim questions on them? I know 70-680 definitely didn't, but I was figuring they'd be in the server exams.

To me, this seems like a big step backward on MS's part.
"Start by doing what is necessary, then do what is possible; suddenly, you are doing the impossible." - St. Francis of Assisi

Comments

• method115method115 Member Posts: 85 ■■□□□□□□□□
    jmritenour wrote: »
    So as I understand it, none of the MCITP exams have sim questions on them? I know 70-680 definitely didn't, but I was figuring they'd be in the server exams.

Apparently MS was having some issues with their sim exams so they pulled them for now. That's only what I've read so don't take my word as gospel. They should be bringing them back eventually once they workout all the issues.
  • PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□

Be happy with no sims. If Liberty Munson, who writes the exams had her way, there would be an adaptive, sim-based exam with 15-20 questions only.
  • jmritenourjmritenour Member Posts: 565
    I'd be quite happy with that, honestly. Actually, what I'd like to see is an entirely lab based exam where you have to install/configure AD to a certain spec, troubleshoot replication issues, and such. IE, what I do every day for a living. Not have to focus on memorizing obscure stuff that is not really useful on a production AD environment, or wade through MS's novels they call exam questions, trying to figure out exactly what is being asked.
    "Start by doing what is necessary, then do what is possible; suddenly, you are doing the impossible." - St. Francis of Assisi
  • PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I'd be quite happy with that, honestly. Actually, what I'd like to see is an entirely lab based exam where you have to install/configure AD to a certain spec, troubleshoot replication issues, and such. IE, what I do every day for a living. Not have to focus on memorizing obscure stuff that is not really useful on a production AD environment, or wade through MS's novels they call exam questions, trying to figure out exactly what is being asked.

I agree that the sims are often a better judge of the skills a person may have. I read on her blog that they were pushing for that format, but there was too much backlash from the community,so they changed it up by adding these 10+ multiple choice questions.
  • chininochinino Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
    MS has to cater to everyone on this--after all--it is a money making machine. I agree with you guys, simulations are very much like actual issues we run into daily. It is the way it should be tested.
    My 2014 Goals:

MCSA Windows Server 2012: 70-410 [ ] 70-411 [ ] 70-412 [ ]
    VMware Certified Associate-Data Center Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]
    CompTIA Storage+: SGO-001 [ ]
  • NobylspoonNobylspoon Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
    ...or wade through MS's novels they call exam questions, trying to figure out exactly what is being asked.

That's why I prefer CompTIA questions over MS. They are short and to the point. I feel like I should have pursued a degree in Rhetoric and Comprehension to better prepare for MS exams.
    WGU PROGRESS

MS: Information Security & Assurance
    Start Date: December 2013