Stuff that trips me up...

mikearamamikearama Member Posts: 749
I just finished the layer-2 technologies portion of Workbook 1... and I thought I'd throw this out for your thoughts:

I've been a network admin for various companies for 12 years now, and I'm amazed at the sections in the workbook that I have never seen before, and a couple that sent me scurrying for reading material.

Stuff I have never seen:
Etherchannel over 802.1q tunneling... this is some very cool stuff. Where have you been all my life?!?!?
Hell, static CAM entries... neat, but when would you ever use it?!?!
Flex Links... also kewl, but since 99% of environments run spanning-tree, what's the advantage over letting STP handle redundant links!?!?!

Stuff I trip up on repeatedly:
Fallback Bridging - pain in the butt.
PPPoE - oh my god, brutal. Dialers suck.
PPP over Frame - equally sucky.
Bridging over Frame - I think I'll just write this config on my arm when I do the lab. hehe I can't wait to forget this exercise.

I think the worst for me is Dialers and Virtual-Templates. It's gonna take a lot of time to get them down deep so I'm not stumbling over them.

You techies got any nemesises? nemesis's? nemesi? (What the heck's the plural of nemesis??? )

Mike
There are only 10 kinds of people... those who understand binary, and those that don't.

CCIE Studies: Written passed: Jan 21/12 Lab Prep: Hours reading: 385. Hours labbing: 110

Taking a time-out to add the CCVP. Capitalizing on a current IPT pilot project.

Comments

• RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Oh PPPoE. The days of Dialup. *tears*
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    I used to have a PPPoE connection for my DSL line. Plural of nemesis is nemeses.
  • jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    QHalo wrote: »
    I used to have a PPPoE connection for my DSL line. Plural of nemesis is nemeses.

A lot of my smaller customers use that...
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • mikearamamikearama Member Posts: 749
    jamesp1983 wrote: »
    A lot of my smaller customers use that...

No doubt... I used to have one as well, back before I became a network guy. Only, I didn't have to understand it at all to use it (as your customers don't).

How it works, though, is a whole different story. And from my experience so far, not a very enjoyable story at all.
    There are only 10 kinds of people... those who understand binary, and those that don't.

CCIE Studies: Written passed: Jan 21/12 Lab Prep: Hours reading: 385. Hours labbing: 110

Taking a time-out to add the CCVP. Capitalizing on a current IPT pilot project.
  • thadizzythadizzy Member Posts: 72 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If it makes you happy I'll admit these topics were the first one I suppressed after passing the lab icon_smile.gif
  • aldousaldous Member Posts: 105
    for me its QoS no matter how much i study/practice nothing really clicks even though i passed the mpls/qos ccip exam i still don't feel comfortable. used to be multicast but "troubleshooting IP Routing Protocols" was really excellent for improving my understanding
  • ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    mikearama wrote: »
    Hell, static CAM entries... neat, but when would you ever use it?!?!
    After mapping a unicast IP address to a multicast MAC address, you'll want to create a static CAM entry for the ports the MACs live on.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%